Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New surf-tiki club opening in Redondo

Pages: 1 31 replies

It's called Point Break. I passed it yestereday on PCH, says "Opening Soon".

Suicide Sam:

What is the update on Point Break?

Do we have a breakthrough in the list of SoCal tiki bars or merely broken hope?

T

We'll have to check it out!!!

Oh Please, please, please let it be true.

My girlfriend and I saw this place on our drive to Sam's Seafood this weekend. As of this weekend, the sign still said "Opening Soon."

I also saw another place just up the street from there that had a big Moai on the roof, but I forget the name. Further down, in Lomita (I think) we saw a cool old bowling alley called Java Lanes. I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned here. Are either of these other places worth checking out?

One last thing: also in Lomita, we saw this old diner called Norm's. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the diner where they filmed the begining and end of Pulp Fiction?

PCH seems to be a bastion of cool old (and even new) googie and tiki stuff.

[ Edited by: Trader_Rick on 2003-05-23 16:57 ]

S

"I AM AN F.B.I. AGENT!"

DZ

The place with the big moai on the roof is The Pitcher House in Hermosa. The moai is the only tiki thing about the place, although the inside is still pretty cool in a 'u-name-it, we'll put it on the walls' kinda way. Definitely worth checking out, but don't expect tiki.

The Norm's on PCH in Lomita is a new place, but based on the old-place (on Hawthorne in Torrance, among others) style. Across the street, however, is the Hot N Tot, which has been around for many a moon. Sabu and I have breakfasted there many times.

Java Lanes is not in Lomita, but rather waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past it in Long Beach. Haven't been inside, though. (But I'll bet Trader Pup has!)

If you're travelling on PCH again, however, don't miss Hale Hawaii (even though it is VERY easy to miss! 3144 PCH in Torrance). Their Scorpions are worth the drive!

Funny thing - I live in Redondo and still haven't seen the Point Break! Think I'll check it tonight.

There used to be shows and all kinds of good stuff at Java Lanes. For quite a long time now they have been in the process for tearing it down. a couple of years ago we had a goodbye to Java Lanes party there but it still hasn't been bulldozed as of yet. They have alreday lost there entertainment liscence and I hear they shut the doors to bowlers now too, but am not sure about that. They have been involved in a very long drawn out sale that will give the land to the Long Beach Unified School District. When the sale finally goes through Java Lanes will be bulldozed and a school will go up there.

DZ

I wish I could voice a legit complaint about the closing of the Java Lanes, but, hey, LBUSD signs my paycheck! Besides, I'd rather have another school open in its place than a Kohls or Walgreens.

As far as the Point Break ("The Surfin' Tiki Bar - Since 1947" whatever that means) goes, I checked it out and found that in a former life, the place used to be one of my old stomping grounds from about 10 years ago, a little armpit pool bar called the Cue N Brew. The place is the size of a closet (well, a large closet - it could only fit 2 pool tables!), but that's not necessarily bad - look at Tiki Ti! What is bad, however, is the location. Manhattan Beach has Baja Sharkeez, Hermosa has Aloha Sharkeez, and I have a baaaaaaad feeling that this is going to be Redondo's entry into the "lamest possible knucklehead frat boy beer bong bar, but with bamboo" category (as James so eloquently categorized the first two in TRT). But you never know. Are there any TC'ers involved in this place to give it a little, uh, legitimacy? C'Al? Ben? Chiki? Anyone?

The 'Opening Soon' sign is gone, but despite the fact that I could hear music inside, no one answered the door when I knocked. I'll check back again later in the weekend...

On 2003-05-23 16:55, Trader_Rick wrote:
One last thing: also in Lomita, we saw this old diner called Norm's. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the diner where they filmed the begining and end of Pulp Fiction?

[ Edited by: Trader_Rick on 2003-05-23 16:57 ]

Sorry to disappoint ya, Rick, but the coffee shop where Pulp Fiction's pivotal opening and closing scenes were filmed, the Hawthorne Grill (formerly Holly's, which opened in 1956), was demolished in 1999, to make way for "development" (and what a revoltin' development it was, too!). Scroll down to the bottom ofthis page and you'll see it. This page also has some photos and comments from locals who recall it well.

"What's your proof?"
"The American Journal of Cause I Said So, pg. 120 Vol. 1 1998 'The Effect of My Being Right on Your Being Wrong - A Meta Study'"

[ Edited by: So_Cal_Native_in_Texas on 2003-05-27 21:54 ]

Suicide Sam - Doctor Z:

Point Break should have opened by now? I'm eagerly awaiting the first reviews.

What is its tiki (TIPSY) factor?

Thank you.

I passed the "The Surfin' Tiki Bar - Since 1947" on PCH in Redondo Beach this last Tuesday, and was hoping to get a drink. They are still not open, and the liquor store owner next door doesn't know when it will be open. From the outside it looks very cool. I parked around back, and the have a outdoors area with a good sized barbeque. They have an anchor chain fence, that include a couple of large anchors. I think that the place looks promising, and does not look like the cheesy crap that is found in Manhattan and Hermosa. Time will tell.

Cheers,

KT

Geez you guys!! Get off my back! I'm trying to open the bar as soon as I can but it's kinda hard doing all the work myself and the comute is horrid!

Ben, you doing that place or what? P.s. call me brada.

Chiki- "I lost your #, my e-mail is jacked up and my cell got stolen." Post your # here but do it backwards so nobody will figure it out. I'm getting into "writing country music" on the side and hope it will soon take place of this tiki stuff. Can't last forever, you know.....Actually, I'm inventing a new "ballcock" for the new water saving toilets! I'm gonna be rich!!

Dude!

You should have done it backwards!!! Now everyone is going to call you!!! You're crazy, Loco !!!

On 2003-05-23 18:48, Doctor Z wrote:
I wish I could voice a legit complaint about the closing of the Java Lanes, but, hey, LBUSD signs my paycheck! Besides, I'd rather have another school open in its place than a Kohls or Walgreens.

As far as the Point Break ("The Surfin' Tiki Bar - Since 1947" whatever that means) goes, I checked it out and found that in a former life, the place used to be one of my old stomping grounds from about 10 years ago, a little armpit pool bar called the Cue N Brew. The place is the size of a closet (well, a large closet - it could only fit 2 pool tables!), but that's not necessarily bad - look at Tiki Ti! What is bad, however, is the location. Manhattan Beach has Baja Sharkeez, Hermosa has Aloha Sharkeez, and I have a baaaaaaad feeling that this is going to be Redondo's entry into the "lamest possible knucklehead frat boy beer bong bar, but with bamboo" category (as James so eloquently categorized the first two in TRT). But you never know. Are there any TC'ers involved in this place to give it a little, uh, legitimacy? C'Al? Ben? Chiki? Anyone?

The 'Opening Soon' sign is gone, but despite the fact that I could hear music inside, no one answered the door when I knocked. I'll check back again later in the weekend...

I wnet by the Tiki Surf Club this weekend, and went around back to find the door open. I walked up to a gentleman standing by the door and said "excuse me". He turned around and exhaled some "very sweet" smoke, and proceeded to tell me about his bar. It is supposed to open in January. He has been getting his supplies form Oceanic Arts, and has some of Leroy's tikis inside. They seem to be of the more cartoon type, which I am not that fond of. I asked him if he was aware of Tiki Central, he said "yeah, blah blah". I suggested that he employ soem of the carvers, and he said that he likes Leroy's work. I asked him what kind of drinks would they be serving, he said "everything!" he was proud to have a liquor license that he bought from the Seafarer in Manhattan Beach. I asked him again about the drinks, and again he said everything "you know Bourbon, Scotch, whatever.... I have the feeling that he does not know what Falernum, or Orgeat is. In fairness to him, he did say that he has been buying old Tikis for a while and they will be there, and he offered to buy me a drink when I come buy, when they're open. I will check it out later, and report back.

KT
I'm starting to feel likr a tiki snob

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2003-10-05 23:50 ]

Me and and few bros went by there and they were closed but I managed to talk to the owner, and he was a bit of a jerk. That is to say he was pretty up-tight and unfriendly even after we showed him our enthusiasm towards his tiki bar. Maybe we caught him on an "off" night. I don't know. Hey Ben, am I wrong about the guy or what??

Hey Ben, am I wrong about the guy or what??

Wes-

Did you mean Kreaky?? I've never met the guy.

p.s.The previous posts were just a joke. Like I have time to open a bar in Redondo, let alone our own store during the week.

Over one thousand custom tiki bars served! (Watch out Mc Donalds!!!) Web-site soon!

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2003-10-07 07:40 ]

Oh, by the way, the owner also said that he was opening another "themed bar" in Lawndale, called "Hurricanes". The thing that kind of tipped me off about this guy, was when he said, "You'll know when we are open when you see the Budwieser signs lit up". He also showed me where the pool table is going to be. Oh well..... I guess I'll just make my drinks at home.

KT

Sounds like he bought the Hurricane Bar & Grill, eh Baxter and C'Al?

DZ

Although it was still dark and locked on Saturday, October 30, a friend of mine swears this place is finally open (after more than a year and a half of "Opening Soon"!)

To be honest, I've lost interest in the place - anybody else wanna check it out and report back?

I heard music coming from there the other day when I passed by. ?

the owner also said that he was opening another "themed bar" in Lawndale, called "Hurricanes"

If this is the hurricanes on Hawthorne Blvd in Lomita, I passed by it a few months ago - all closed up and on its way to be empty. Drove by it again a little later and signs of tikiness was gone, I think it was going to open to be a mexican food place.

About point break...I pass by every so often too and have no interest to see the inside or try a beverage. I lived in Redondo for a while (and no offense to Dr. Z, cuz you're one in a million in that area) I'm glad I left.

DZ

OK, it's been more than TWO YEARS since this place appeared on the radar, and it's STILL NOT OPEN!! I've heard all kinds of stories from all kinds of people - our own Tiki Diablo even carved a fantastic 9 1/2 footer for them (pix at the top of this page), but every time I've ever driven by the place (day or night, weekday or weekend), it's dark and locked up tight.

Anybody have any news? Good news, bad news, whatever?

R

On 2005-06-27 09:45, Doctor Z wrote:

No Gnu's. Is good Gnu's: with Gary Gnu.

Seriously though, what the hell is going on with this place? I heard that Capt. Kneepads Tiki had made some custom suft/tiki kneepads for this place as well. I wonder whatever happened to them?

On 2005-06-27 09:59, Riptide wrote:

On 2005-06-27 09:45, Doctor Z wrote:

No Gnu's. Is good Gnu's: with Gary Gnu.

Seriously though, what the hell is going on with this place? I heard that Capt. Kneepads Tiki had made some custom suft/tiki kneepads for this place as well. I wonder whatever happened to them?

You heard right Riptide but the Management is kind of Hush Hush about the opening of this place.
No disrespect but I think you ment "Surf" not "Suft". Next time you might want to proof read your post before hitting the submit button. There is Nothing that I hate more than bad spelling. Aren't you a teacher or something? Just kidding! I can't wait to see all of my TC OHANA when this place opens!!
Maholo

[ Edited by: CaptainKneePads Tiki on 2005-06-28 17:53 ]

R

No disrespect but I think you ment "Surf" not "Suft". Next time you might want to proof read your post before hitting the submit button. There is Nothing that I hate more than bad spelling. Aren't you a teacher or something? Just kidding! I can't wait to see all of my TC OHANA when this place opens!!
Maholo

Sorry, CKPT. I'm a math teacher, not a Language Arts expert. Besides, I'm on vacation, so give me some slack.

But for the record: You shouldn't capitalize "Nothing"; nobody likes it when you have words in ALL-CAPS; and finally it is "Mahalo", not "Maholo".

So you keep it real, because I am keeping it real.

[ Edited by: Riptide on 2005-06-28 23:48 ]

Looks like Tiki Diablo has been doing some work on the place. There are a couple of pix in Update for Benzart!over in "Creating Tiki" where he mentions it should open "in a month or so."

DZ

On 2005-06-30 15:18, UtopianDreem wrote:
Looks like Tiki Diablo has been doing some work on the place. There are a couple of pix in Update for Benzart!over in "Creating Tiki" where he mentions it should open "in a month or so."

"Opening in a month or so" - Hah! I've been hearing that for years!

I gotta say, from those pix, it does look cool inside (better than the dopey mural on the outside), but I'm afraid that if/when it does open, it's just going to be a totally sucky bar with awesome decor.

However, I'd still like to be proven wrong!

On 2005-06-30 15:18, UtopianDreem wrote:

Mahalo for the update, Utopian Dream.

Dr. Z it is right in your backyard! I'm sure your tiki mana will be a most positive influence.

I'll even help from time to time.

Pages: 1 31 replies