Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

where to get logs

Pages: 1 1 replies

this is a companion to skullys "what type of wood" thread. I had alot of trouble just figuring out what type of wood to use on top of where to find it. Even looking online wasnt any help because alot of lumber mills are low tech and dont have any online presence. so, it would be groovy if anybody out there list their local lumber mills or tree dumps. anything.......

GMAN turned me on these guys in st pete. You can get logs any length and up to 30" in diameter. I saw a log there that looked almost 4 feet across. they mulched it!

These guys sell cypress only.

AXLEY Bros. saw Mill, Inc.
12300 62nd st north Largo, fl 33773
813-531-8724

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-08-07 06:47 ]

This past Wed. I cut down a beautiful Norfolk Is. pine tree. It was about 80' tall & the bottom diameter, 18". I don't have any chisels which is why I didn't take any home. I thought of TC & how a lot of you would be dissapointed that it went to greenwaste instead. Is there any one else here on TC that's from the Big Island, Hawaii & into wood carving. The only guys that approach us are lathe/bowl turners.

Norfolk pines make beautiful calabash bowls and the skinnier trunks, I've seen a guy turn bracelets on his lathe using the branch scars in the design. I've never seen a tiki carved though. Maybe I should invest in wood chisels so I can put these logs that I come across to good use.

Pages: 1 1 replies