Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Arizona Tiki Events???

Pages: 1 15 replies

Looking for tiki fans, events, culture in the Phoenix area? Other than Trader Vics in Scottsdale and Kon Tiki in Tucson, what do desert tiki-heads do??? I know I am not the only tiki geek in this wonderful state! We need to form a group similar to the Parrotheads to unite our "tikiness!"

I noticed you left a couple places off your list:
Bikini Lounge and Hula's Modern both in Phoenix.
There's also Cocomo Joe's and of Course Drift.
But maybe there's a reason you left them off :)
I'd love somebody to do a tiki weekender at Shady Dell, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Did I mention that the Bikini Lounge is for sale??!

Z
zond2 posted on Tue, Aug 10, 2010 9:25 PM

Was just at Hula Modern Tiki this past weekend.
It's in a what appears to be a remodeled garage/oil changing place on Central.
Vibe is a bit more Modern/Googie than Tiki but they do have an impressive collection of Munktiki mugs on display.
They do have outdoor space for a middlin' sized bash.
Food is OK, staff was friendly and competent, and the $5 Mai Tai does have a bit of a kick.
I plan on going back and trying out their Dr Funk cocktail served in a Fu Manchu mug sometime after Tiki Oasis.

Z
zond2 posted on Thu, Aug 26, 2010 9:08 PM

Is there any way we can cook something like this up?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=36873&forum=4&start=0
Lets brainstorm!

yes more tiki events for phoenix!
zog productions has a tiki lounge party annually at the rhythm room.
don't know the date for 2010 yet, sometime in the fall.
i pretty much hang at the bikini, which (according to co-owner richard) found a buyer,
who says they will keep everything the same and westley and dawn employed.
will post more when i find out.

tom

The Rhythm Room event I thought was in November or March, but yes that is a great spot. However, the idea of having an event at one of the clubs-bars-restaurants in the Phoenix area with an emphasis on tiki would be awesome!

Z

Or down in Tucson at the Kon Tiki, I believe Velvet Glass has a working relationship with them.
Hell, I live in Casa Grande ( midway PHX and Tucson) we could meet at my place and do some plotting.

You are correct....Kon Tiki would be the best location. It is actually more centrally located in the state than Phoenix for people travelling a distance, which be well worth it. The venue is certainly ideal. Finally, it would be a great opportunity to meet other "Zonie tikis" to plan further events. You are in Casa Grande and I in Ahwatukee/Foothills less than thirty minutes. I think the Kon Tiki is a great place...always enjoy going there, but I always end up the designated driver. :wink:

Aloha, fellow AZ Tiki Folk. We do indeed have a great relationship with the Kon Tiki and have a couple of things 'in the works' for the coming months. As soon as something is nailed down we'll be sure to let you all know.

We are frequent imbibers at KT (though we generally try to avoid Friday & Saturday nights) so if anyone is in the neighborhood send us a PM or an email and we'll do our best to meet up.

A 'Tiki Sleepover' at the Shady Dell down in Bisbee is something we've also been trying to arrange...

Z
zond2 posted on Sat, Aug 28, 2010 7:38 PM

WoooHoooooo!
Tiki Pajama party!

Z
Zog posted on Tue, Aug 31, 2010 4:46 AM

We were going to wait until we had everything nailed down, but since this seems like a warm topic, looks like a "save the date" post is in order for you Arizona tikiphiles. Our fourth annual get-together is happening on Sunday, September 26, 2010. Things will get underway in the afternoon and go until the wee hours, if past years are an indication. Hope to see you there! Details TBA in the next few days...

EVENT LINK

[ Edited by: Zog 2010-09-02 03:26 ]

Damn,
I was hoping to make it back out to Az. again for this event.
but I have an event here to do on that day.

Have a Great time.
and hope its a huge success.

Jeff(btd)

Z
Zog posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2010 9:39 PM

Jeff, we would love to have you attend in any capacity. So sorry that you can't make it! :( You spun the most fantastic vinyl set last year...stellar.

[ Edited by: Zog 2010-09-08 01:30 ]

Thanks Chrissy.

I would love to attend,
but cash is tight,
and I am hosting the last surfing sundays show at the surf museum that day.
as Linda(the entertainment director) is out recovering from a surgery.

have a great event.
I love me some Arizona.

Jeff(btd)

Hey Phoenix Gang. We have a lot going on around that weekend but if we can make it up to Phoenix we'll be there!

Z
zond2 posted on Wed, Sep 8, 2010 10:17 PM

Hula's Modern Tiki made the Arizona Republic's food section today
http://www.azcentral.com/style/hfe/food/articles/2010/09/08/20100908hulas-tiki-luau-party-menu.html

[ Edited by: zond2 2010-09-08 22:17 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies