Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Navy Grog at Francis Ford Coppola's new restaurant

Pages: 1 7 replies

FFC recently opened his Napa area restaurant, Rustic and the star cocktail is the Navy Grog made from the Beverly Hills Luau recipe - complete with an ice cone.

http://ffcp.s3.amazonaws.com/fcw/dine/rustic/fnl_rustic_menu_drink.pdf

I'm dying to try the Lemon Chicken (based on a recipe from Martin Scorsese's mum).

It all looks good except for the Manhattan with Campari. WTF?

Hey, don't knock the Manhattan with Campari (usually called a Boulevardier), that is a GREAT combo!

So they should call it a Boulevardier -- they got everything else right. Campari (like absinthe) is something of an acquired taste and as an owner, I would be really wary of putting it in a drink that doesn't normally contain it unless I made it VERY CLEAR to all customers who ordered it. I have to admit that the first time through the list, I missed it among the list of ingredients.

All in all, a pretty good looking cocktail menu. Although they get a point off for not using rye instead of bourbon, they get bonus points for calling things "cocktails" instead of "martinis", more bonus points for only having one martini on the menu and major bonus points because it's a gin martini!

And yes, the Boulevardier is a pretty good drink, although I usually halve the Campari.

It looks like they got the strong arm from Goslings on the Dark and Stormy (Can't call it a Dark and Stormy without Goslings in it.) so they lose another point but I still wanna go!

It seems that the Coppola brothers may have worked at Kelbos... Sven correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they were the only ones to call them "habit forming ribs".

From the menu at Rustic:

We're going up to this restaurant tomorrow, and I will definitely get these ribs with a Navy Grog.

Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2011-01-22 17:01 ]

On 2011-01-22 16:05, Trad'r Bill wrote:
It seems that the Coppola brothers may have worked at Kelbos... Sven correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they were the only ones to call them "habit forming ribs".

From the menu at Rustic:

We're going up to this restaurant tomorrow, and I will definitely get these ribs with a Navy Grog.

Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2011-01-22 17:01 ]

Yep, Beachbum Berry wrote that FFC was fired since his mind was always somewhere else.

[ Edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2011-01-22 20:52 ]

Sean of theTiki - Thanks, I missed that one from the Bum...

Here's some pic's from earlier today:
Navy Grog - it tasted damn good... extra props for the ice cone

...and here are the Habit Forming Ribs - tasty

Trad'r Bill

Pages: 1 7 replies