Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Fifth Annual Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale - PICS!

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

LOOKING FOR THAT SPECIAL SOMETHING TO BRIGHTEN UP YOUR HOME TIKI LOUNGE, SPACE AGE BACHELOR PAD, BACKYARD BBQ JUNGLE OR PERSONAL RETRO OASIS?

...you're sure to find it at the
5TH ANNUAL FORBIDDEN ISLAND PARKING LOT SALE!
September 26, 2-7PM

Forbidden Island will once again host Northern California's largest sale
of collectible and vintage tiki, Hawaiiana, rockabilly, and mid-century
modern goods. The sale will feature an incredible selection of original
art, collectible mugs and decor, vintage aloha and rockabilly clothes,
vinyl, furniture, and much more. We'll also be offering drink specials
and a few surprises. Come early for the best selection- it's guaranteed
to be a sell-out event! Don't miss it!

IMPORTANT:
Vendors interested in participating should contact
[email protected]
IMMEDIATELY
as we have already sold over half the vendor spaces available. This is a huge event for Northern California and our past vendors have reported fantastic results.

ALL THIS AND MUSIC!
DJ Tanoa will be entertaining during the day and in the evening,
live surf from the Pacifica's The Reefriders 7 - 9 pm.

Plus The Mighty Mai Tai Ku Bar and of course, the La Piñata Taco Truck!

General questions about the event can be directed to
[email protected]

[ Edited by: Molokai Mike 2010-10-01 11:40 ]

L

Psycho Tiki D and I will be vending and we are super excited about it!

Question is ...what WILL we be peddling?

Included in our HUGE amount of inventory are postcards,photos,menus, matchbooks, tons I mean TONS of vintage mugs, treasure craft,velvet paintings, salt and pepper shakers, barware, books, you name it and I am sure we will have it for sale!

We both have boxes and boxes and boxes of goodies stacking up that we will be dragging out in hopes that everything will find a good home.

Come stop by and see what we got..teaser pics will show up here as we get closer to the event.

Hooray for the parking lot sale!!!

(and thanks Mike & Forbidden Island for hosting this great event again!)

Wow! Two spots left! If you want in, you better hurry...

Sent an email. You know I need one!

All spots filled!! Wow, this is indeed a record! Thanks to all who rushed payment. Happy to have you aboard this year. It's going to be a blast!!
Mahalo and Aloha!

W

I posted this in the old thread, but it makes more sense here and I'll up the anty.

I'm going to be in Moorea (island next to Tahiti) doing research for two months starting Sept 15. If I gave someone in the bay area, who preferably lives in SF or Oakland, a wish list and a budget, could they pick some stuff up for me.
In return, I can bring you
-Money for however much the thing cost (this is the boring option)
OR
-Something from Moorea

T

Me & me wifey, Hulihukilau, will be able to make the trek up for this. Sounds like fun!

ALOHA!

We are excited to announce the finalized, confirmed vendor lineup for our 2010 PL Sale, sure to be the biggest one yet - from local and world renowned artists personally selling their work, to vintage clothing and accessories, to lots of Hawaiiana, LPs, DVDs, Tiki mugs and more.
Timeless coolness will be represented in every form.
If you can't find what you're looking for here, it probably doesn't exist!

The 2010 vendors are (drum-roll please):

Taboo Island: tiki art, Tiki pendants and the art of Thor.
Kevzo Art & Design: surf art, hawaiiana, barware, LPs
Mikel Parton: mugs and paintings
Eric October: art and unique items
Sam The Tiki Seller: mugs, shirts, tikis, hawaiiana
Tiki Jungle (aka Jungle Trader): TIKIS, carvings, mugs, stuff
Retro Diva: vintage clothing
Pineapple Princess: children's clothing
Fuzzy Dude: knicknaks
Bongofury: DVDs
Falin: mugs
Past Postage: Paintings of Hot rods and Island Scenes
Fab Gabs Vintage (from Portland) : vintage clothing
Spud (of Drifting Sand Surf band): misc Tiki and Surf items
Rusty: Vintage clothing, shoes and accessories
Malia May: custom tailored Tiki wear
Leleliz and Psycho Tiki D: misc tiki
Lake Surfer: misc tiki
Nancy: misc tiki, vinyl
Zero Coordinate: Forbidden Island cocktail photography

AND!
Music from DJ Tanoa and
live surf by the Reefriders, 7 - 9 pm.

PLUS!
Mai Tais served from Ku Bar and of course, the La Piñata Taco Truck!

Looking forward to the sale. "Falin" is probably more known as
TIKI KAIMUKI CERAMICS. I will have a nice selection of different
designs and glaze variations for the sale. Come on by and say, Howdy!

M
mp posted on Thu, Sep 9, 2010 11:34 PM

I am stoked to be at the parking lot sale again this year. Ill be the big guy
at the "kids" ceramics table drooling over the mugs over at Tiki Kaimuki's ceramics table.
I cant wait to hang with everyone and hopefully there will be a NoRu sighting. See ya there :)

T

So, what's the best/cheapest hotel to stay at nearby?

The Days Inn?

Any suggestions ?

The Days Inn has some cool Googie architecture, but sadly, is pretty sketchy.
I'd recommend the Hawthorne Suites - really close to FI. Hotel of choice for Tiki Crawl.
Check out Mai Tai's post
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31707&forum=17&start=60&hilite=tiki%20crawl

A nicer hotel experience and a little more spendy (I think) would be:

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
http://www.coralreefinn.com - (510) 545-4139

Marina Village Inn
http://www.marinavillageinn.com - (510) 523-9450

T

Thanx Mike !

L

Going to start posting some teasers here.

Duane and I are bringing HUNDREDS of items.....

Lets start off with box #1 of some common stuff at cheap as sh*t prices :)

Tepco, Kahiki, Bali Hai , OOH, Otagiri, Marwal, Trader Vics,

Stay tuned...its going to keep getting better!

MORE:
treasure craft, salt and pepper shakers, new zealand , Bali Hai, Islander, satin pillowcases.....

Takes care of box 1........

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-09-12 16:40 ]

Jim, if you and Coco are coming up for the sale, you might want to come the day before for the South Bay Home Tiki Bar Crawl. It starts at 1pm on Saturday. Lots of great folks hosting this year.

Very excited to be a part of it all once again!

Sneak peaks in the days to come!

L

On 2010-09-13 00:58, Lake Surfer wrote:

My dream has just come true...a Lake Surfer Tiki Bob!!

Thanks Liz! Glad you like him! After almost 10 years of carving, I thought I'd try a few Bobs finally!

Today I was able to put the wraps on a couple of special pieces for the sale. I have not done any watercraft in a while, and these are a brand creation.
This piece is titled "The Conquerors." It features two Maori Wakas with three warriors in each. Each warrior brandishes a carved Patu.

10.5" H x 21" W

Each individually hand carved and ready to hang!

I might be bringing this to the F.I. Exotic Bazaar matey's. Not sure yet.

Photo updated

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
http://TikiJungle.com

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2010-09-19 20:07 ]

I wouldn't let him drive your car there, if I were you.

uh-huh, and you're talking to the pirate?

That's some nice carving there Vic!
Looking forward to hanging out with ya next weekend!

Cannibals... now in a new style!

Hope they don't get too crazy on the plane ride out!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-09-17 01:55 ]

L

just priced these mugs..

and oh look lots of vintage chalkware hula girls and fabric dolls are priced too!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 18, 2010 1:46 AM

Come to Papa. GROG like.

L

Tons of postcards anyone?? From the 1910s thru today....

1960s shell/seed/bead necklaces...

Ties from the 1940s...

LOTS more coming....

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-09-18 21:50 ]

I'm very excited to be vending again at this year's Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale. I have a ton of vintage aloha wear and accessories as well as additional clothing by Sandy Bottom (Portland), Chick-A-Boom Vintage (Petaluma), Pineapple Princess (Oakland), and Christine Kiesling (Oakland). There will be a veritable clothing explosion on our patio right when you walk out the back door of the bar.

Also be sure to visit the booths of two more amazing vintage clothing vendors: Fab Gab Vintage (Portland) and Raw Vintage (Vallejo), both will be located under the main tent.

Fab Gabs is excited to be coming back a second year with a bigger booth! I will, of course, have lots of bright colored barkcloth, but there's some fabulous 50's pieces waiting to be enjoyed too! Here's a few previews of some of my favorite items.

Shaheen:

Surfriders (silk!):

Tiana Pittelle:

And Kamehameha. LOVE this wild print!

I'll be bringing lots of women's tiki/aloha dresses from the 60s and 70s also, good gal's stuff from the 40's-early 60's, and some men's tiki shirts and good vintage rockabilly wear. If you're not already familiar with my shop, you can find it on etsy by going to http://www.fabgabs.com (it will forward you). I look forward to drinking w

I will be bringing what I can stuff into my CRV and then some. I will have vintage and newer tiki mugs, velvet paintings, Witco, the chunk lamp I posted a few weeks ago, vintage aloha shirts,vintage skateboards, vintage hula skirts, lights and other goodies. See ya soon!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-09-20 08:10 ]

L

Duane and I will really have a little bit of everything...including these 3 foot high pounded copper pictures, some chalkware portraits of a wahine and a kane framed from the 50s and paint by numbers......

two words :

BRING CASH!!

:)

Looks like it's going to be a great sale with all the stuff everyone's been posting.
Here is a sneak kiln peak of some things you will probably see at the Tiki Kaimuki spot.

Can't stop carving!

I'll have a handful or more of these hand carved and hand painted Tiki Bob pendants with me!

4" tall, carved from Poplar

L

Bumping for this weekend.

Can't wait to see you all there!

CL

We're there!

All packed and ready to go!

See everyone on Sunday!

MT

On 2010-09-12 11:01, Molokai Mike wrote:

The Days Inn has some cool Googie architecture, but sadly, is pretty sketchy.
I'd recommend the Hawthorne Suites - really close to FI. Hotel of choice for Tiki Crawl.
Check out Mai Tai's post
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31707&forum=17&start=60&hilite=tiki%20crawl

A nicer hotel experience and a little more spendy (I think) would be:

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
http://www.coralreefinn.com -

Marina Village Inn
http://www.marinavillageinn.com -

Michael, here is how I'd rank local Alameda hotels in order of niceness (and closeness to FI) as follows, including current phone numbers:

Hawthorne Suites - 510-522-1000
Only a couple of years old, a lot of business travelers stay here. Last time I checked, they offered full free breakfast in the morning. And there is an indoor hot tub, with late hours, I believe. :wink: It's less than 0.8 miles to Forbidden Island, or about a 7 or 8 long block walk.

Marina Village Inn - (510) 523-9450
Located fairly close to Forbidden Island, about 0.7 miles away in Marina Village. The rooms are kind of small, but some of them overlook a nice marina harbor with lots of boats.

Extended Stay America - (510) 864-1333
Also located in Marina Village, down at the far end, about 1.4 miles from Forbidden Island. A few people stayed here last year, including Doug Horne, and Bongofury. They said it was nice.

Coral Reef Inn & Suites - (510) 521-2330
I wish I could endorse staying here, as the grounds are pretty nice. But several people have had really bad experiences staying here, including Tikitastic Mark Holt a couple of New Year's Eves ago. And although it's pretty much right on the beach, next door to a retro bowling alley, directly across the street from The Sushi House as well as Southshore Shopping Center, and every room is a suite with a kitchenette that would make it easy to whip up cocktails and host room parties, the customer service level can be SERIOUSLY LACKING at times. And it's quite a bit farther away from Forbidden Island at about 2 miles - definitely not within walking distance if you are carrying any medium size to heavy schwag.

The Days Inn
Stay here at your own risk. I cannot endorse staying here. I'm not even posting a link or phone number for this place. Just, don't stay here, 'mmmm-kay?

Hope that helps everyone out. See you on Sunday!

This 4 1/2 ft. Moai will be there, alongside many more.

Could ya bring the pool too? I hear it's gonna be warm on Sunday.

Doing some packing today...Hey Liz, are we gonna have enough room?

Ran out of price stickers, will add more later?!?

PTD

L

On 2010-09-24 12:47, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Doing some packing today...Hey Liz, are we gonna have enough room?
PTD

We're gonna need a bigger booth...............!

More...

Somebody stop me!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-09-24 15:17 ]

On 2010-09-23 12:07, Tiki Kaimuki wrote:
Could ya bring the pool too? I hear it's gonna be warm on Sunday.

I'll get on that right away. Ladies, skin to win.

Yeeehaw. Here is a pic of the STIV mugs I will be bringing. I have them safely stored on a rickety top shelf in the studio. Hopefully no earthquakes.

T

Here's some new stuff I'll be bringing:

Framed 8x10 black paper drawing of Tiki Bob's Restaurant.

Framed vinyl 8x10 Alameda map (continuing my tiki island series).

And I'll have more of these resin Trader Mort's pendants (they were hugely popular at Oasis this year!)

Plus the usual plushes, and a few of my new mugs!

See everybody tomorrow!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-09-25 15:34 ]

My car is crammed full...come buy my stuff! See you all tomorrow, bring lots of cash!

PTD

L

bump!!

L

Thank you to Mike and Forbidden Island for hosting this event today.

If you know me in real life you know that life has been super challenging lately so selling at the sale today really helped me out in many ways--like I can pay my rent :)

Thanks to Psycho Tiki D and his wife Tiki Hammer for being the best booth mates ever. We really needed a bigger booth--I can not believe we fit so much stuff into our space...craziness.

Lake Tiki I love my Tiki Bob carving and it was awesome to meet you and your lovely wife in person. You are so talented and the tiki community here is lucky to have you in it.

Tobunga....always a pleasure to see you and Manuel...I love my Tiki Bob picture soooooooooooo much! (Seriously if you dont own artwork by Eric October by now dont ever talk to me again--his work is epic!)

Thank you TC members for your purchases and multiple mai tais ....always appreciated!

If you didnt come today you really missed out...fabulous event all around.
It was a great day and I cant wait to do it all again next year :)

Mahalos!!

Pages: 1 2 56 replies