Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

here is a Witco style fountain in the works

Pages: 1 41 replies

K

I finally got around to carving a fountain. It is still under construction. So far so good I think? Hope it works. It is supposed to resmeble the Witco fountain in the book of tiki or the Mainlander mug. Anyway thought I would post a picture because I am kind of excited about it and wanted to share my excitement. Hope you dont mind

L

OOOOOOOOOOO :D I love it! I love it! I love it! :D

R

VERY VERY COOL!

I have loved that fountain from the first time I saw it in the book. That is a very good interpretation. How are you goin to go about sealing the wood for the water? Where did you get that log?

K

Thanks you guys and gals. Lucky- I think I will coat the whole thing with a minwax coating for uv rays and weather and then use some kind of platic coat for the inside of the bowls. I get my cedar logs from a guy at a mill who hooks me up.

Very cool. I wish I new a guy at mill. Actually, I would have to live near a mill first. Do you think you can find logs like that at a lumber yard?

L
laney posted on Tue, May 13, 2003 4:13 PM

Hey, Keigs, I am curious what Bill Westenhaver thinks about all this? Does he think "maybe I should start producing again" or does he just think it's a fad. You must know. I know my parents never thought people would be collecting the mugs they kept for all these years. She can't believe what her (until I saved it and put it away) tiki pen and junk holder fetches on ebay (close to $100). How does he feel about you reproducing his designs and all the people who treasure his vintage pieces? Just curious, Laney

My curiousity is this - will you be making fountains like this (or similar) for sale at some point, and if so, roughly how much would such a thing cost?

L
laney posted on Tue, May 13, 2003 5:21 PM

I want to know that too! So I can start saving $$$$

K

Luckydesigns- I dont think you could find them at a lumber yard. I had to search pretty hard to find these. Most places that sell cedar logs usally want $15.00 to $20.00 a foot.
laney- Bill thinks its great and tells me he would help me if I get to busy. I think he would rather stick to painting and drawing though. I talked him into doing some tiki art for the web site witch is being printed at the moment and soon will be for sale. He thinks it is great that I am into his art and trying to some what reproduce it. He also enjoys hearing about all the people who enjoy his work on TC. When he comes over I always show him something new about Witco that has been posted on Tc. I think he gets a kick out of it.
Tikitronic & Laney- I will make more of these. Also some of my own desings. As for the price I dont really know until it is done. I know Bill got over $700.00 for his in the 60s and 70s but his were 7ft tall mine are only 4ft. So probably $500.00 to $800.00. which will include the carved box it sits in and the carved square bottom bowl holder, if all goes well.

S

Let us know when you're taking orders!

i always knew he would make it big some day.....WELL DONE!!.now i have to start saving $$$$ again!

I guess I'm gonna have to go buy an axe. There are plenty of trees around here.

K

I finaly finished, It kind of took a while to figure out. Then Bill came over and lined me out on how I should go about it.
The fountain is for sale for $700.00 plus shipping wich will be $50.00 to $75.00. If anyone is interested email me [email protected] and I will tell you more about it. If a bunch of people email me the first email will get it and I will build more. If none email it will go up on ebay with a reserve of $500.00.

Twowheelin- I dont think I can carve fast enough to make it big
Luckydesigns- I can send you a log if you want to pay shipping

Wow Keigs! That came out REALLY NICE! Great work!

T

Damn, that's one fine fountain, Ken! I'd be all over it if it weren't for vacations, marriages, house-buying,...aw, I give up!

Love your work, though, and the tiki I got from you a few months ago is still one of my most prized posessions. Keep up the great work and I'm sure we'll do business again soon. :)

That is just beeyootiful! If I had $700 to spend right now I'd be all over it.

One day... one day.

-Mug

Hmmmm....thinking....thinking...

Keigs~
Is that for everything in the picture? (except for water and the plants, of course).

I looked for dimensions on the other posts but did not find them. Can you give some more detail on size?

K

Yes sorry, For everything except plants, water and rocks. It comes with a pump bottom base and every thing. all you would need is a piece of 1/4 inch or 1/2 plywood for the bottom to set it all on. The measurements are 4ft tall the totem is 13- 14 inches indiameter the base is 40 long inches by 29 inches wide and 4 inches tall.
Thanks again everyone for the compliments.

M

Stellar, your best effort that I have seen.

I do hope someone here picks it up, at $700, a deal IMO. Could easily see it going for more on Ebay.

Kudos,
midnite

Absolutely beautiful. Keep making them and maybe, just maybe my budget can handle it one day.

Have you had some inquiries?

C

It's fabulous, what a great design! Darn it, I don't have the money now but if I did I'd be afraid of what my rotating mutt collection would do to it. Just can't expect any self-respecting dog not to wizz on one side and chew the other.

M

*wizz on one side and chew the other. *

Same problem here...and we don't have a dog.

Wow, what a great audience.
midnite

P

Beautiful work, keigs ! It turned out fantastic.

K

I think it would have a better chance with dogs than my neighbors, I yelled at them and ran them out of my yard for screwing with it a few minutes ago. Took me a week to build and would probably take them 10 minutes to take apart and throw it around my yard. tiki_kiliki- no inquiries yet. Except for future ones when people have more cash.
puamana- hows the hut coming
thanks again everyone for your compliments and instead of buying that next shag print buy a fountain (just kidding buy what you like)

Wow, keigs....I just saw this...I've been distracted lately...That's a fine fountain. I've been surrepticiously plotting one for close to a year now for my own use..but I'm sure it will be nowhere close. Great work!

M

How does the wood deal with that water? Is it just lot's of Thompson's sealant?

-martin

K

I sealed the whole thing with with a exterior minwax sealer for sun and water. I coated the bowls 3 times to make a thick coating. They seem to be ok so far. Plus it it cedar so they should last a long time. Thanks Bk Im sure whatever you make will be great I have seen your work.

K

I havent got any replys so I will be putting it on ebay tonight with a $500.00 reserve. I realize $700.00 is a lot of money. But I do have a nice little chunk of $ into building it and a lot of time. I hope it goes for more than $500.00 to be worth while. If not I hope it goes to a good TC members home. Thanks for all the great comments. I will post a link tonight.

S

That is one awesome fountain. Kudos to you. can I ask what method you use for shipping? I make concrete Tikis and shipping is always an issue. I'm sure your fountain weighs alot more than my 19" hollow Moai heads, and I sometimes have shipping charges to the east coast upwards of $40. What's your secret??
http://home.earthlink.net/~seamus23 if you wanna take a look.

K

Here is the link for the fountain on ebay
seamus- I ship ups a 3ft totem that weighs 30 pounds to Florida costs me $35.00 to California where 95 percent of stuff I ship is about $20.00 I usually lose a little on shipping. Thanks Cali.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2832593464&category=20156&rd=1

[ Edited by: keigs20 on 2003-05-21 22:42 ]

[ Edited by: keigs20 on 2003-05-21 22:43 ]

S

I use UPS as well, but that fountain seems a bit big for Brown! Keep up the good work. Looks like you might be pretty busy making fountains for a while!

T

tHat fOuntain iS soo gNarly...awesome keigs20!!!

S

It went for $975.00 not too bad. I was watching and it really took off the last few seconds.

I think someone got a great deal. I hope you find it worth it to make more.

L
laney posted on Wed, May 28, 2003 7:33 PM

Wow, congrats and well earned! I definately don't think I can afford one now!

K

wow! That was cool.
I will carve more. Actually I started carving one yesterday. That I sold before this one. Plus another one for someone else that I have not started yet. I got a lot of emails for smaller more affordable ones so no worries Laney I am working on it. Did I mention I start working six 10 hour days next week for my real job. Man I hate real jobs. Oh well thanks again everyone for your compliments and support. Time to celebrate while I still got a life.

Those old Witco fountains turn up in the strangest places...

Here's a postcard I just acquired showing one in front of the B-HIVE GROCERY, DRUG & GIFT STORE, Sanibel Island, Florida. Evidently they had a Tiki Hut.

I have almost as many postcards of forgotton tiki locations in Florida as I do of California. I'll have to make a post of some of the more obscure ones someday.

Sabu

Sabu,
I'd love to see whatever Florida cards you have. I've been collecting Florida cards for a few years now and am working on a personal web site on Florida tiki. I'm just getting started, but plan to post more info. on each location named in the text with cards and/or personal photos I've taken.
KG
PS: I bid late on the Witco fountain card and missed it. Congrats on that one!

Hey all- anyone starting a florida tiki PC archive, I've got a big wad of em..

Fatuhiva,
I'm sloooowly working on a site. But, we need to get together anyway. Are you doing anything Labor Day weekend? We will be doing some tiki partying in Daytona Beach, if you're up for it. I know your practically a tiki artifact yourself. Send me an e-mail.
KG

hahaha are you saying I'm OLD?!?! hahaha

when is labor day weekend? My wife is very close to having our baby boy- so i may be stuck at the homefront for awhile- where are you located- orlando?

I am still getting my tikiroom prepped- you def should come by and check it out when its done- i can introduce you to my maikai friends up the street if you didnt get to meet them at hukilau

you can take a swim in the tiki lagoon:

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-08-13 23:46 ]

Oh Gawd, not another tiki-phile marooned by child rearing. The same thing happened to Muggler last year, and he's barely come up for air. When we make a trip down your way, I promise to smuggle some rum to you in a load of daipers.

Pages: 1 41 replies