Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Really gross and disgusting hair metal bands....

Pages: 1 21 replies

I admit, I am intrigued by these bands. It was a time in history that never should have happened. The music sucked, the dudes looked like ugly girls. Please post your top choices of hair metal bands (with incriminating pictures!)

I want to start with "Lixx Array". These guys never really made it, but there was a time when you could not swing a dead cat on a rope without hitting one of their "bassist wanted" flyers, which seemed to be posted everywhere.

B

I would LOVE to see what these guys look like now - unless, of course, they're dead or something!

One from the 70's called Angel

featuring guitarist Punky Meadows

Myspace: Angel

BAM magazine in the Eighties was full of hair metal bands.

H

Stryper

H

Vixen

Females tryin' to look like big hair dudes or is it vice versa... I dunno...

J

But in the 1970's the look was cool...

P
phinz posted on Sun, Aug 15, 2010 3:26 PM

Nitro

Don't believe everything you think.

[ Edited by: phinz 2010-08-15 15:27 ]

T

Hold on King Bushwick....Angel was a great band !!!

NITRO = MOST ridiculous

It appears that a member of Frank Zappa's band in the 70's was also a fan of Angel (mainly guitarist Punky Meadows) and Frank wrote a song about it.

Youtube: Frank Zappa, Punky's Whip

TM

On 2010-08-15 15:19, Hakalugi wrote:
Vixen

Females tryin' to look like big hair dudes or is it vice versa... I dunno...

I used to know the original singer of this band, Janet Gardner. She worked at the old Guitar Center location on Main street in Santa Ana, ca around 1883 or so. Very cool lady, if you ask me!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Aug 16, 2010 8:51 AM

Lucas - I seem to remember her as well...wow! this is a forgotten memory jog!

I used to attend Santa Ana City College back in '83 and I would always buy my new drum equipment at the Main Street Guitar Center (sticks, heads, cymbals etc). At that time there were always plenty of big-hair wanna-be's hanging out there. Can't remember the drum department manager's name now but I seem to remember he fit into that category too? I remember local bands like "Open Fire","Trigger","Taboo Zoo" and others whose names are lost in fog now. There was a transition musically...locally...post punk and I personally hated a lot of what was happening early-mid 80s. Drugs were a key aspect.

Side Note:
Do you remember Santa Ana's Eldorado Oldies record shop (I think on 3rd or 4th street just west of Main)?
The big-hair rockers would be there sometimes scouring the 45s for 70s glam stuff.
Me? I used to score tons of '60s garage 45s there before the 60s garage revival hit a few years later. The store was floor to ceiling 45s on shelves, all four walls full of obscure stuff. The original owner, before he died, used to hold invitation only nights where I bought original 45s - ten for five bucks and shit like that. God I miss that place!!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-08-16 08:57 ]

TM

Those were interesting times! GC was filled with the new (at the time) Charvel-Jackson guitars, all with pointy headstocks! And not only were all the customers hair farmers, but the employees too!

If you want a flashback, go check out Sam Ash on beach blvd...there is a black haired dude with the farrah fawcett style that still works there, tight black jeans and all! I swear he was one of the original GC people back then!

nothing a few hair extentions and makeup can't fix

ugh!!

this is one of the things that give longhairs a bad stereotype.

never was into any of these crappy bands.

Jeff(btd)

I'm terribly sorry to revive this thread, but I had to add my pick for ugliest band ever .... Grim Reaper.

Click here to see their hilarious video:
http://sailortown.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/ugliest-rock-bands-whos-faces-make-you-recoil-in-horror/

But Grim Reaper was a Metal band,
not a Glam Metal band.

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-11-03 20:31, bigtikidude wrote:
But Grim Reaper was a Metal band,
not a Glam Metal band.

True, that.

How about the Vinnie Vincent Invasion and another video that makes me chuckle for its sheer over-the-top audacity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w0YbJPdubk
(The final 45 seconds are classic absurdity)

Some folks may remember Vinnie from his brief stint in Kiss (he played on "Lick It Up," the band's first "unmasked" album). But he really went off the rails with this solo project that featured Mark Slaugher (yes, that Slaughter) on ear-piercing vocals, Dana Strum (who went on to play with Slaughter's band) on bass and Bobby Rock from Nitro on drums.

These guys were technically good musicians, unlike many of the hair bands, but the lame attempt to be "outrageous" and big-hair glammy is pretty amusing.

I think I made over $50 selling this obscure album on eBay some years ago:

TM

Great googly moogly!

You guys have found some good ones!

Those ladies are not very attractive?

From Auckland, circa 1986, for your delectation and delight I present: Push Push

Should you need to know more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_Push_(band)

Pages: 1 21 replies