Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki drinks at Dram in New York

Pages: 1 7 replies

G

Hey New Yorkers (Joe and others), I'd like to hear a review from you all about a new bar in Brooklyn called Dram. Not a Tiki bar, but several Tiki drinks are on the menu (Jet Pilot, Don the Beachcomber Zombie) and the concept of the place is intriguing with top NYC bartenders doing rotating regular shifts there.

Here's a July 1, 2010 article about it from the NY Times.

And here's the recipe for the drink pictured in the article, which I got from the show "Drink Up" on the Cooking Channel:

Behind God’s Back

1/4 oz orgeat syrup
1/4 oz sugar cane syrup
1/4 oz cinnamon syrup
1/2 oz fresh pressed pineapple juice
1 oz lime juice
2 oz Chairman’s Reserve rum (St Lucia)

Dry shake the ingredients for a few seconds and pour into a tall glass. Fill glass with crushed ice and swizzle until glass becomes frosty. Top off with 6-8 dashes of Peychaud bitters to create a rich red layer on top. Add more crushed ice and a sprig of mint.

I'm not absolutely positive it's Peychaud's they use, but I'm not aware of another bitters that is that red in color.

G

Also, the full rum show is available online at the Cooking Channel website.

Hey Rob - unfortunately my laziness knows no bounds and I have yet to leave the island for the wilds of Brooklyn and make it over to Dram.

However, I do know a few of the bartenders that work there (Frank, Tonya, etc.) and can vouch for their excellent drink-making skills (tiki and otherwise). In particular, I know Frank has been working on his Jet Pilot for a while and has been obsessed with Fassionola.

Nicole and I will make the trip at some point, since we are WAY overdue, and will report back.

G

I can imagine there's not much incentive to venture out when there is an entire world to be found in Manhattan. Anthony Bourdain finally made the trip out to the outer boroughs, so I guess it's your turn now. :wink:

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Fri, Sep 3, 2010 4:41 PM

manhattanites generally have an allergic reaction when crossing bridges and tunnels in my experience :wink:

Mr. Ho

I'll go name the time and date..
Dram!

I had a fantastic time at Dram last March. The bartenders are like a supergroup of all-star NYC mixologists, and the owner Thomas Chadwick is an all-around great guy. (Keep your eyes open for his upcoming interview on Martha Stewart.)

I had a Jet Pilot that was amazing; actually a couple of them. It was my last stop of the evening so it's all pretty blurry (!) but I think Tom put some Havana Club in my second one. Go, you won't be sorry!

R

Made a "Behind God's Back" this evening and loved it!
Mahalo!

Pages: 1 7 replies