Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Burlesque, Surf Culture, Hot Rods, Mexican Wrestling, etc. (pick one) in Tiki Culture

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

T

Yes! Best of both worlds!

T

Dunno.
Anyone born before, say, 1985, would agree that everything these days is just rocketing by as far as sub-cultural mash-ups are concerned.
Example: I recently witnessed a group of girls who crossed crust-punk with rockabilly!! dreadlocks with Bettie bangs, cherries mixed with Amebix patches. Freaked me right out, in a good way.. I think.

Looking back, what evolved and changed within the original Tiki scene? From the beginning to the 70's devolution?

Whooo! THAT jacket really is a fashion statement. I only have a black Nehru jacket, and even that turns heads when I wear it in bars. Still, if it was good enough for Sammy Davis Junior (famous Nehru jacket wearer), then it's good enough for me.

Thomas, that taboo you refer to goes back a long way, as I guess the original post-war tiki lounge crowd were not necessarily all that impressed with the love generation and their psychedelic music. Likewise, my impression is that, generally speaking, the hippies of the late 60s thought the whole tiki lounge thing was "square" - a facet of mid 20th-century culture on the wrong side of the generation gap.

CN

T

On 2010-08-26 18:44, Club Nouméa wrote:
...that taboo you refer to goes back a long way, as I guess the original post-war tiki lounge crowd were not necessarily all that impressed with the love generation and their psychedelic music. Likewise, my impression is that, generally speaking, the hippies of the late 60s thought the whole tiki lounge thing was "square" - a facet of mid 20th-century culture on the wrong side of the generation gap.

Agreed, and very well put. But then, divisions fade over time. How many 18-year-olds think they have irreconcilable differences with their parents, then years later see how much they are, in fact, like their parents? Similarly, while folks like the Strawberry Alarm Clock probably reckoned they were making a radical musical departure at the time, perhaps they look back and see that some of their efforts echo (derive from, extend upon...) much of the classical, lounge, and pop-exotica they saw themselves as rebelling against at the time?

So, the question then arises, why should we, in 2010, retain this notion of opposition and exclusion? What end does it serve?

Isn't this guy considered the archtypical proto-hippie? I think this album to be the ultimate exotica.

T

Yeah, perhaps the one figure -- and album -- that brings so many of these strands together, you're definitely right. It caused a lot of thoughts to swirl around in my mind (starting, perhaps, with my dislike of the word "hippie"!), but then I realized that going into it all here would be hijacking this thread, a no-no. In this thread I was just presenting a contrary point regarding surf music (which I know many here hold dear) and wondering aloud why, "...if surf, why not also things like soft-psych, sunshine pop, and the like?..." I'd still like to see what people who disagree with my viewpoint have to say on this. (In addition, I had the secondary motivation of wanting people to see The Strawberry Alarm Clock in their splendid, exotic outfits!)

Oh heck, I'll lay down a few thoughts here anyway...
I think the dislike of many here for things "hippie" has to do with something Hanford once wrote about Parrotheads:
"The FOM (Fraternal Order of Moai) dresses up to have a good time. Parrotheads dress down."
Right on! He distilled book-length rants into two sentences with that! Sure, there might be some residual affection for the beatnik type, even though he has a hole in his shirt and a slightly ripe smell, due to a sense of his cultural-historical significance, but the extended cultural reign of the jeans-and-T-shirt-clad rock star and his shabbily dressed fans is something most TCers are just plain tired of -- and I'm certainly one of them. But what about that other, earlier, more fancy-pants style, as exemplified by Strawberry A. C. in the video link provided earlier? They weren't dressing down -- they were dressing up, and most exotically to boot! Very soon that mode of self-presentation, with the "eastern" garb and necklaces and what have you, was seen as laughable, but I think something we here at TC tend to do is reclaim discarded styles without irony or mockery and celebrate them, especially when they constitute an earnest reach for otherness, also known as "exotica."

All of which leads to, among other things, the conclusion that more tikiphiles should don paisley Nehru jackets.

On 2010-08-27 14:19, Thomas wrote:
All of which leads to, among other things, the conclusion that more tikiphiles should don paisley Nehru jackets.

Or Hawaiian print Nehru jackets. And Blazers. And Suits. And Lava-lavas!

J

On 2010-08-26 09:01, JOHN-O wrote:
Tiki Revival goes "South of the Border". YES !!!

I know the purists might be cringing but I see this a positive step. Rather than turning into a big "Tiki Beach Party", this brings into the spot light what Tiki (or rather Exotica) evolved into. Yeah I know these days, Mexico isn't on par with Hawaii as an escapist destination but in the mid-1960's I think it still vibed "foreign and exotic".

The Tijuana Brass and Baja Marimba Band were as inauthentic as original Tiki-style was but that's what makes them so mid-century cool. Did you know that Herb Alpert was just a nice Jewish boy from Fairfax High ?? :) To hear that booming brass and Latin vibes "live" just sends shivers down my spine. Also this brings the focus back to 1960's "establishment" pop culture (which Tiki was) and not youth culture. The TJB was HUGE. I'm sure Lucas Vigor approves. Yeah I know I keep flip-flopping but I just LOVE the TJB so much.

This also brings up the opportunity to play more Esquivel (he was from Mexico) and maybe to introduce Mexican Wrestling into the Tiki Revival stew. This has been the missing element if you consider everything else that's been included so far.

Also Surf Music has a fine tradition of Latin-style. Check out this concept album from the Lively Ones.

I've been enjoying this a lot lately...

I'm more in the Lucas Vigor camp to get back to Tiki's lounge roots, but since BigTikiDude isn't pointing this out, I'm doing it for him. :)

Also if you must wear an Aloha-print Nehru jacket, please don't add a fez. You only go from looking ridiculous, to looking twice as ridiculous.

Sorry but that's the truth Ruth. :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-27 21:28 ]

On 2010-08-27 21:16, JOHN-O wrote:
Also if you must wear an Aloha-print Nehru jacket, don't add a fez. You only go from looking ridiculous, to looking twice as ridiculous.

Sorry but that's the truth Ruth. :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-27 21:23 ]

Unlike a Pam Grier print shirt?

Oh sorry, let put a smilie: :D

All Better!

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail 2010-08-27 21:36 ]

J

Maybe but for my Pammie (and the Bigbro), I'm willing to risk it. :D

On 2010-01-09 14:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
"...and where do you get this strange need from (JOHN-O) to continuously post and ask for all this non-Tiki related stuff on TIKI CENTRAL? I am all for expanding creative horizons, and discussing other influences and facets of Tiki, and toying with them, and I am gladly playing along as long as I see SOME connection to Tiki concepts somewhere, but Afro is Afro, Mayan is Mayan, and this not WORLD PRIMITIVISM Central."

I'm glad you remember our discussion at the Waikiki Womb. Please PM me for the next steps on this (I'm serious). Thank you.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-27 22:46 ]

Hey John-O, I'm confused. Was that Big-bro quote aimed at me? 'Cause I sure don't ask for non-tiki stuff outside the "beyond tiki" forum. Also, I agree with a lot of what you say. I only wear my fez at the "camicia nera" gatherings. That being said, how is a Hawaiian print nehru any different from a loud Hawaiian print shirt or blazer or dress in ridiculousness?

And regarding this whole thread, who said we're doing a reenactment? Cultural phenomenon like the tiki movement or "scene" or whatever you what to call them evolve and change-sometime for the worse but sometimes for the better. And as much as I admire Big-bro (he's a good friend of mine) and his eminently scholarly approach... I see upon reflection he's right again in this case.

And I ain't going to PM YOU 'cause I know your going to curse at me! And I hate written curses...

Smilies! :wink:

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail 2010-08-27 22:01 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail 2010-08-27 22:06 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail 2010-09-02 16:50 ]

And I was going to wear that nehru to your bar crawl. DANG!

J

On 2010-08-27 21:58, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Hey John-O, I'm confused. Was that Big-bro quote aimed at me?

Nope that was aimed at me.

Please don't take the "ridiculous" comment too seriously. I admire the garment as a fine piece of art but honestly I can't imagine someone wearing it in public. It's way over the top.

Also I do take the Bigbro's word (on classic Tiki-style) as gospel. Who knows better than him? It's all based on historical evidence. He's done the work, he's done the research, he's put it into artistic perspective. That's why I cherish that quote from him so much. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-27 22:45 ]

Actually John, I could see you wearing it..at my house maybe 3pm tonight?

Please don't take the "ridiculous" comment too seriously...

You made me cry!

Take this!

Maybe we need to revisit BigBro's "Tiki or not Tiki" thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16102&forum=5&hilite=not%20tiki

There, maybe he'll speak to me again. Thank goodness he's in that primitive country where they don't have the internet!

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail 2010-08-27 22:26 ]

On 2010-08-17 10:47, JOHN-O wrote:
3. Fezes - This one puzzles me. It would be interesting if someone could cite the first occurrence of the fez in the Tiki Revival. A vintage photo of a Shriner meeting in a Tiki bar would be priceless.

Tiki Oasis 2

By the way, there are at least 2 previous threads on fezzes and tiki:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23950&forum=1&start=15
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=19526&forum=6&start=0

TM
J

Since Tiki Oasis is going "South of the Border", I'd like to suggest the following as complementary to the Tiki Revival umbrella:

1. Latin influenced Surf/Instro Music - The Lively Ones had several songs in this genre (as did many many other Surf Bands like the Sentinals) and don't forget about The Champs and their groundbreaking "Tequila" (aka the Pee Wee Herman bar song).

2. Masked Mexican Wrestlers. This is a good complement to Burlesque as demonstrated in Lucha VaVoom - http://luchavavoom.com

3. The East LA garage rock sound. I'm thinking of Thee Midniters. Does Little Willie G. still perform?

"Let's take a Trip down Whittier Blvd !!"

1. The Pachuco look. But please no Aloha-print Zoot Suits. :D I'm not sure if Tiki Cholo-style is advisable, although I have seen a few Tikiphiles sporting neck tattoos (!!) along with the wife-beaters.

2. Low Rider cars.

All of this stuff is genuine mid-century So CA culture and mirrored the classic Tiki time line.

Am I losing my mind here ?? :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-02 09:43 ]

T

I envision a handheld meter with "lowbrow" on one side and "jetset" on the other. When held up to tiki art, music, clothing, etc., it makes a staticky noise like a Geiger counter and the needle moves to somewhere between the two extremes. I tend to prefer those things that register higher on the "jetset" scale. Maybe that's in part because I'm not from SoCal so have no personal connection to surf culture, hot rods with flaming eyeballs painted on them, Mexican wrestlers wearing masks, etc. Besides which, I'm an elite jetsetter and look down on such things (especially while on expedition to an exotic land, wearing one of my many stylish Nehru jackets). :)

Anyway, I think the lowbrow/jetset distinction is pretty basic and sort of runs through a lot of things we discuss here. That they often fit uneasily together just adds to the drama.

And yes, you are losing your mind. :)

TM

On 2010-08-28 14:55, JOHN-O wrote:

Am I losing my mind here ?? :)

Nope. You are actually one of the hippest people on this forum.

On 2010-08-28 14:55, JOHN-O wrote:
...But please no Aloha-print Zoot Suits.

Now that's f*cked-up y'all!

I'm pretty sure if you polled the folks here, they could find at least two or three things that they may incorporate with the polypop movement. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It just seems that many of us have picked certain things from the post war era, and we kind of fused it all together.

I love old rockabilly, hot rods and 1950's surf culture, but I also realize that they did not intertwine with the the tiki establishments of the time. But I can just as easily drink a cocktail from a tiki mug while listening to Martin Denny or Johnny Burnette.

TM

On 2010-08-28 17:36, dewey-surf wrote:

I love old rockabilly, hot rods and 1950's surf culture

You might want to check out this band:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37331&forum=11&10

On 2010-08-27 22:05, JOHN-O wrote:

I admire the garment as a fine piece of art but honestly I can't imagine someone wearing it in public. It's way over the top.

Actually, I recall it being greatly admired at Tiki Oasis 4. (Along with the debut of our monkey fur bikini and banana skirt, of course. Oh, I know, I know...that's not Tiki either. But who cares—it's damn fun to wear!)

LT

On 2010-08-31 01:45, vintagegirl wrote:

Actually, I recall it being greatly admired at Tiki Oasis 4. (Along with the debut of our monkey fur bikini and banana skirt, of course. Oh, I know, I know...that's not Tiki either. But who cares�it's damn fun to wear!)

It's damn fun to look at too! Nice work! :wink: :drink:

My take on it is....I dig the tiki culture and I dig big boned ladies. No use in sweatin all the details kids.

On 2010-08-26 09:44, TikiBeast wrote:
exactly! would have been great to get a photo of them all together. LOL --I did see the gorilla! Good times...

Just What I was Thinking!!! They were great....

And....Well..... Just so happens...........

Great subject btw... At first I didn't really see the connection between the Burlesque and Tiki but now after going to Oasis I'm feeling it all...
It may just take a little longer for the Mexican wrestlers to settle in, nothing that another mai tai couldn't fix though... :wink:

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2010-09-01 00:02 ]

J

More "South of the Border" cross-over fun (since the floodgates are open)...

El Vez - The Mexican Elvis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEO_AEhUg3I

Los Straightjackets - Surf/instro music played by Mexican masked wrestlers.

(Edit - Actually I realized L.S. played Hukilau last year so this band is no stranger to the Tiki Revival. I understand the founding member is quite ill. Best wishes, I saw them back in the mid-90's at one of their first shows outside of Nashville. L.S. was responsible for peaking my interest in Surf Music.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-42g352TaQ

El Vez AND Los Straightjackets TOGETHER !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUMduuba9aE

We can dub this new Revival umbrella genre "Mexi-Tiki".

And yes the Tiki Pinata will be its icon. :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-02 23:56 ]

The two genres did crossover at least once in the past, but it was pretty much a fluke:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28796&forum=2

J

Muchas gracias El Coconut Muchacho !! "El Tiki" es muy magnifico.

And it's not a fluke. It's the missing link. :)

"El Tiki, El Tiki, El Tiki is nice"
"El Tiki, El Tiki, is like paradise"

I want that image on a T-shirt !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-02 12:20 ]

heheh. What you call a missing link, I call an evolutionary dead-end.

That would make today's South-of-the-Border-Tiki either genetic engineering or hybridization.

then there was the big kahuna cantina that opened in 2006, but it only lasted about a year...

Pages: 1 2 79 replies