Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Exotiki Steel Guitarist hit by train...

Pages: 1 20 replies

Just a heads up for everyone in Socal. Thomas Yearsley, the bandleader and steel guitarist for Exotiki was hit by a train on Monday, in an attempt to save his dog Swango's life. Many of you have seen him play at Bamboo Ben's Nooner 2 years ago and at the benefit for Marie and Don the Beachcomber this year. Some of you may also know him from his old rockabilly band, the Paladins.

Luckily he is doing well.

Here is the news story.

http://www.10news.com/news/24680411/detail.html

Sorry for the loss of Swango Thomas. Get well soon!

T

He didn't have health insurance so a fund was set up to help if you can:

http://helpthomas.com/

Thanks for posting that TheJab. I knew one was supposed to be set up somewhere but I didn't know where.

TikiShaker and thejab, thanks for posting the info!

I tried to log on here Tues. and post the news about my dear friend, but the site was down (?)... all I got was blank, white screen page.

Thomas is doing better. Heartbroken about the loss of Swango (R.I.P. pup!), but when I talked with him last he was in good spirits. So glad he's ok!

It would be cool to see more support on here. Thomas has been into tiki culture since before his days with The Pals (over 30 years) and has always tried to keep a hand in creating beautiful music to float away to mentally via tiki/exotica vibes.

Exotiki is scheduled to play a benefit on Sept. 19th at the Redwood Bar in Los Angeles.

Again, please support a true hero and legend. http://www.helpthomas.com

Exotiki is one of the raddest bands around. I hope this unfortunate occurance does not sideline the band for too long! Yearsley, Kevin Stewart and their boys have a super professional mix of Hawiian, western swing, gypsy jazz, all painted with an "exotica" brush. You got to see it to believe it! Last time, they came all the way up from SD to play at the "mariepalooza" event, and just KILLED!

T

Wow....how does one get hit by a train and survive ?

Glad to hear he's ok, and sorry to hear about his pup.

Do we need to do another fundraiser ?

Lucas, thanks man!

Jim, good question! Trains are quite dangerous! Thomas is a little beat up, but doing good. I visited him yesterday before he went back to his doctors. He's mainly heartbroken about losing his pup. He's in very high spirits!

As 4wdtiki posted, there's a benefit going on in Oceanside on the 10th.

Exotiki will also be playing the Redwood Bar on Sept. 19th. All of the door will go to Thomas to help with his medical expenses. (as noted earlier, he does not have insurance and needs much help).

Any other benefit would be amazingly appreciated!

TM

I am going to try super hard to go to the Redwood show...Dartin, can you post a reminder in tiki events when it's around the corner?

Fo' sho'

bump

Holy ShiiTE!! Sorry to hear about the dog, but glad to hear Tom is doing well.

I was very much expecting to read a thread that was going to be an obituary. It is sad he lost his dog. I love my animals (dogs, cats, wife) very much. But, this thread has a happy ending because he lives! here is to a speedy recovery and as a musician, you can bet I am going to hit the link and make a contribution...starting right now!

September 19th - 8pm

Redwood Bar in Los Angeles

Thomas Yearsley Benefit show

Line-Up:

The Blasters w/Dave Alvin
Candye Kane
Karling Abbeygate
Exotiki

...... Hope you can come out and support!

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2010-09-06 12:35 ]

very cool,
I will be there for sure.

Jeff(btd)

Awesome Jeff! See you then...

bump

September 19th - 8pm

Redwood Bar in Los Angeles

Thomas Yearsley Benefit show

Line-Up:

The Blasters w/Dave Alvin
Candye Kane
Karling Abbeygate
Exotiki

Can't wait! Been a while since I've seen Exotiki! And to be honest, I have NEVER gotten to see The Blasters with Dave! Pretty rad to experience that in the SUPER small bar that is The Redwood!

Thanks BTD for reposting the info. I was going to post the flyer, but there's no 'Tiki' association....

Here's the actual time slots (via Redwood Bar's Facebook):

8pm - Exotiki
9pm - Blasters
10pm - Candye Kane
11pm - Karling

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2010-09-15 14:18 ]

Awesome, Thomas is up and about and performing tonight in Carlsbad with Billy Watson's band.

Pages: 1 20 replies