Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki in Michigan?

Pages: 1 21 replies

I am having such a difficult time finding anything in MIchigan. I've searched through the boards but havn't come across anything about good places to check out in the state. I've been to every thrift store and estate sale around Lansing but find little. I was wondering if I could get some advice and maybe pointed in the right direction.

T

There are a few of us in Michigan and it seems like the ones that are here are great tiki people. Some have great bars, there are carvers, and tiki artist, and collectors. And there is a surviving tiki bar full of great stuff in Livonia called Chin which host gathering once or twice a year.

Livonia? Very cool! I'll try and get there soon. I hope to meet more fellow mitten state tiki folks!

M

Hey Erk,try the search and put in Chin,also try all the little flea markets,don't know what part of the state your from, good luck on your hunt and maybe will see you at the Xmas show at Chin's,:D

Erk,

Try giving Uncle Trav a PM, he is the Tiki king of Michigan.

DC

On 2010-08-20 14:06, Dustycajun wrote:
Erk,

Try giving Uncle Trav a PM, he is the Tiki king of Michigan.

DC

Dusty you are too kind sir, I'm just a pauper trying to get by but I do love Michigan's Tiki past :)
ErkNoLikeFire I sent you a PM. Don't forget that there is more treasure to find out there than just mugs and such. Lansing had it's own Tiki bar that not much is known about and some history could be dug up about. Here is a link to DC's post about it. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32501&forum=2 and a link to a thread about doing some research with some handy tips. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32087&forum=1 Above all have a good time and enjoy the hobby. There is still tons of stuff to find out there, even in Michigan.

T

I visit Michigan (Detroit area) about once a year and our favorite place to go, albeit not Tiki, is Mon Jin Lau in Troy Michigan. It's Asian fare BUT.... they have a volcano bowl!!!!!!!! Frankly the food is actually quite good and it's hard to pass on a flaming drink. It might not be worth driving all the way out for it BUT, if in the area, I would definitely have a drink there.

http://www.monjinlau.com

I've lived in Michigan most of my life and never knew there were still tiki places around. I need to get out more (especially since I grew up and now live less then half a mile from where the Boom Boom Room was).My interest in tiki is more to do with creating an atmosphere where I can feel at home then just collecting mugs and tasty drinks (which I quite enjoy). Thanks!

"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." - B. Banzai

[ Edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2010-08-22 00:57 ]

i live in the Livonia area and have been collecting better part of the last 20 years! used to be a great swap meet down by the airport (DTW) that closed there's still a decent flea market on middlebelt south of the airport kinda hit or miss but worth checking out if your in the area. here is 2 of my finds!

[ Edited by: hungry tiki 2010-08-29 07:53 ]

[ Edited by: hungry tiki 2010-08-29 07:54 ]

there's plenty in MI. you just have to keep looking. :)

Wow, these are all really awesome finds! I have the day off tomorrow so I'll be driving around searching for loot. I hope I can find something even half as cool. Thanks for giving a guy some hope!

It's out there. Build it and they will come.

On 2010-08-29 08:15, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
there's plenty in MI. you just have to keep looking. :)

Did you sell every last one of those lamps?
Refresh my memory where they came out of...was it Chin Tiki ?
Mahalos

Those are some very nice lamps.

H

Regarding those lamps, here's FZ's original thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32744&forum=5

WOW, 17 lamps. I'd have one in every room.

T
tikifa posted on Mon, Sep 6, 2010 3:05 AM

Greetings All!

Hard to believe: my first and only posting here was some seven years ago. Alas. Since then I've moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan, and now teach in the History of Art Department of UM (actually, I'm off this semester). Been collectin' mugs and tiki-flavored experiences since 2001, and have a suavified Tiki Lounge in the back: "The Buki-Buki Room" (wife wanted a library, I wanted TIKI. We compromised: A Tiki Lounge with batch of buki-shelves... get it?). Never get to meet enough Tiki Piple around her, and think it would be great to see what others are doing, and share some of what we're up to here. Attaching a couple older pics of the Buki-Buki Room, a humble work in process. Maybe southeastern Michuganehs can assemble some home-bar tourism evenings---whatever! I just wanna know who you guys are, so' we could have us some fun and larfs.

So here's part of the bar:

Here are a few of the mugs and such on the shelves:

And here's more of the room, video fire crackling on the TV behind a bamboo screen for a swelegant effect.

Time for sleep. 'Til next time, may All Good Things be yours...

tikifa (though I've been told that 'Professor Voodoo" might be more fitting...)

Nice details tikifa. I'm diggin' that rug with the shields!

I hunt around Michigan as well as I have businesses across the state. I'd say there's about as much to find and see as in Indiana, (where I reside), 'cept that maybe the towns are a bit smaller and more spread out.

Did you sell every last one of those lamps?
Refresh my memory where they came out of...was it Chin Tiki ?
Mahalos

I have a few left actually... though they are slowly getting spoken for.

this thread got my BFF to go do some field reporting on Chins Livonia for me to put on the blog. Looks like its still a pretty neat place.
you learn something new everyday around this place.

I think a home bar crawl is a great idea! Might be a bit of an issue getting from Ann Arbor to Lansing and vise versa but if enough people join in, I'm sure something could be worked out.

Tiki in Michigan. This is where my collection began. I always had great luck in downtown Ann Arbor. Go into those shops that you might normally be afraid to go into. Royal Oak used to have some kitchy little places too.

Pages: 1 21 replies