Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Exotica Project

Pages: 1 26 replies

M

100 free 45s:

http://exoticaproject.com/

Haven't checked 'em out yet, but damn, how can it NOT be good!

T

Awesome - Thanks for the link! G

M
Murph posted on Fri, Aug 27, 2010 1:17 PM

LOVIN' IT! thanks for the heads up.

WOW!! Cool find, thank for the link.

Are these downloadable? Looks like you can only play them.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

M
MrFab posted on Fri, Aug 27, 2010 1:47 PM

Hmm, yeah, it does appear to be play only, not download. That is unfortunate. But the dude who runs it did post some of those records originally on his first site:

http://officenaps.com/

And those all seem to be still available for dl, e.g. Darla Hood of "Our Gang/Little Rascals" fame singing "Quiet Village."

Thanks y'all - and greetings.

Mostly I'm a lurker here but I appreciate the interest (and the ongoing exotica-related music discussions, of course). Mr. Fab is right - while it would be pretty easy for a savvy user to hack out the site's MP3s - I've made them at least nominally play-only at this point.

Either way, hope you enjoy! And please do let me know if there are other 45s in this vein that I should know about - the search is ongoing.

And: hi Mr. Fab!

djlittledanny - I'm really getting a kick out of the website - thanks for all the work.

I like the way "Sunset Mood" by Carmen Lesay so overtly mimics "Quiet Village". Lots of fun.

Sabu

Wonderful deep dark record bin research! Mostly unheard of obscure gems, a pleasure to discover.

This is great! You need to get these compiled on a CD - I would buy it!

T

Terrific source of information. Thank you!

Enchanted Farm is wonderfully sick!

Did anybody else check out "Jungle Bunny" yet? Words fail me ... !

Reminds me a bit of the song "Wetback" on one of those "Big Itch" comps from Norton.

M
MrFab posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2010 10:02 AM

I'm listening to "Jungle Bunny" now. Err...maybe it meant something different in those days..?

please do let me know if there are other 45s in this vein that I should know about - the search is ongoing.

Howdee! a 45 called "Watusi Wedding" is one I'm quite obsessed with:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/09/watusi-wedding.html

On 2010-09-01 10:02, MrFab wrote:
I'm listening to "Jungle Bunny" now. Err...maybe it meant something different in those days..?

please do let me know if there are other 45s in this vein that I should know about - the search is ongoing.

Howdee! a 45 called "Watusi Wedding" is one I'm quite obsessed with:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/09/watusi-wedding.html

On 2010-09-01 10:02, MrFab wrote:

Yeah, I had no idea of its pejorative meaning, either. Definitely adds a whole new layer. Old rhythm 'n' blues can get tricky like this sometimes.

Thanks for the tip on "Watusi Wedding."

ULTIMATO!!!

Gracias, this is great!

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

WOW - these are great! I wish there was a "play all" button!

Nice job.

This is truly a monumental task!!!

Tons of extremely RARE Exotica music here folks!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

That is astounding! So many, many tunes I've never heard. Would make a helluva compilation (or 5!)
-Andy

P

Great interface and look as well.
First rate job!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cool. Why is it that when I go to thrift stores or garage sales and look at the 45s all I find are Trini Lopez and Carpenters singles?

Not necessarily tiki-related, but I have another page of 100 45s up that may be of interest to many here:

http://exoticaproject.com/2/

Called the Lonely Beat: 100 Themes from the Naked City, it's all '50s/'60s 45s along the jazz/hipster/beatnik/torch/club mambo continuum.

Based in some reality, but made over by the era's pop culture as the gritty, bohemian Naked City, it's my homage to the post-War American city and the imagery and cliches associated with it.

WOW!! You're research is incredible and exhaustive!

Thank you!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

This is great! Reminds me of the old "Swing for a Crime" comp., which opened up whole new worlds for me, musically speaking.

Thanks for sharing!

On 2010-08-27 14:24, djlittledanny wrote:

• while it would be pretty easy for a savvy user to hack out the site's MP3s -

Soooooo, how would one go about finding those MP3 files? :)
Seriously some great and obscure music here! I'd love to have copies of some of those tunes. Thanks for posting.

DJ little Danny.
do you change the stuff on the Exotica Project site?
there was a surf version of Bali Hai, by the Iridescents (sp?)
and now I can't find it.
:(

thanks
Jeff(btd)

On 2011-03-30 20:06, bigtikidude wrote:
DJ little Danny.
do you change the stuff on the Exotica Project site?
there was a surf version of Bali Hai, by the Iridescents (sp?)
and now I can't find it.
:(

thanks
Jeff(btd)

Hey Jeff: yeah: I tend to swap new stuff in all the time.

gotcha,
and thanks for the hookup on that.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 26 replies