Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hey! Ho! Mahalo!

Pages: 1 33 replies

I really enjoyed the "Hot Topic" thread, and it made me wonder about something. The first person accounts of run-in's with "Mall Punks" were absolutley hilarious. I almost sprayed my monitor with coffee (via my nose) when I read about Traitor Vic's search for records by The Pagans. ("No, we only sell Punk records here. LOL!) Just out of curiosity, how many Tiki Centralites are recovering ex-Punk Rockers?

Cheers,

Cowtown Kahuna

Cowtown,

We covered this a while back and it seems a number of us were punks in the day ('75 - '84)

Hey Cowtown,
I picked up numerous scars in the L.A slam pits back in the eighties. Dont listen to too much new punk but still like to listen to some of the old stuff when the gumption hits me.

Chongolio

K

punk rock....that's nice people...just play nice...as punk as i get is listening to nirvana and thinking...wow these shows must have been really aggressive to be at...

growing up from my birth in 71...all punk seemed to be echoing what i though the spray painted anarchy signs meant....just destruction...and for that matter...scary and why would anyone want to deal with that on a family day at the water???

all of my highschool associates were drummers or some shit for a local punk group...groups with names like pitchfork...

the dead milkmen were funny...

the ramones...ALRIGHT!

91X was as hard as i needed my rock...though i must admit i was smart enough to tell the world i liked van halen rush and the doors before i had heard anything but "tom sayer"...ah the years i whiled away at the skate palace...

punk is hard to pin down...though this is coming from a late blooming jazz/blues lover from the MTV generation...what do i know?

TK

Tiki King.
Now...

Then...

(1982-ish)

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki Stuff
http://www.mp3.com/tiki_king Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King on 2003-05-14 14:47 ]

On 2003-05-14 13:27, kooche wrote:
punk rock....that's nice people...just play nice...as punk as i get is listening to nirvana and thinking...wow these shows must have been really aggressive to be at...

growing up from my birth in 71...all punk seemed to be echoing what i though the spray painted anarchy signs meant....just destruction...and for that matter...scary and why would anyone want to deal with that on a family day at the water???

all of my highschool associates were drummers or some shit for a local punk group...groups with names like pitchfork...

the dead milkmen were funny...

the ramones...ALRIGHT!

91X was as hard as i needed my rock...though i must admit i was smart enough to tell the world i liked van halen rush and the doors before i had heard anything but "tom sayer"...ah the years i whiled away at the skate palace...

punk is hard to pin down...though this is coming from a late blooming jazz/blues lover from the MTV generation...what do i know?

Kooche,

What's your point?

K

Kooche, are you from San Diego? Pitchfork was a predecessor to some awesome friggin' bands, if it's the Pitchfork I'm thinking of. Pitchfork from San Diego spawned Drive Like Jehu, Rocket from the Crypt, and the Hot Snakes....... some of my favorites!!

At one point I had every Dead Milkmen Album there was.
bucky Fellini--tape
Eat your Paisley--tape
Big Lizard in my BackYard--tape
Beelzebubba-- tape

I still have Death rides a pale cow, and Soul Rotation on CD.

Umm. I can't remember anymore... now my head hurts from thinking.

I don't remember

I still like punk rock. I listen to alot of the new bands which are more melodic than those of yore, thank the tiki gods, and I do a zine on punk and indie rock. I dont look punk anymore though. Im going for more of a Nico-in-the-Velvets thing now.
Hey Cowtown Kahuna, I went to school in Cowtown and saw many a band at Staches.

Heh, heh, heh. I suspected as much. I was born in 1972, so by the time I discovered punk rock in the mid-to-late 1980's, it was kind of like learning a dead language. All the bands had broken up, the albums were hard to find and only a few people shared much enthusiasm for the genre. I suppose in that regard there are some similarities to all things Tiki. Combing thrift stores and junk shops for Tiki mugs always gives me flashbacks to the days of combing independent record stores for Misfits 7-inches. I still listen to the old stuff (Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, etc.) but have very little interest in the Sum 182's of the world.

TikiKing, the 82-ish picture was great. BTW, that's a nice fez.

TikiGoddess, I suppose you're an alumni of "THEE" Ohio State University, eh? I also spent a lot of nights at Stache's. What's your zine called?

Cheers,

Cowtown Kahuna

[ Edited by: Cowtown Kahuna on 2003-05-16 11:38 ]

T

Its not the punkers I have issues with..its the damn wannabe teenie boppers that are embracing the nasty EMO look..makes me wanna gag!..Or they are going though that "phase" of rebelion and start dressing punk..thinking they are the shit..its really annoying..

I think a bigger issue is Punk as it was in the 80's will never happen again.. Good or bad you will never have the same circumstances to fuel a punk rock revolution.... My generation saw grundge..and that wasnt nearly as cool as punk..
And am I a recovering punk?
No..I choose not to capitalize on what was popular in other peoples generation...such as the punky 80's were..In the early 80's I was into Dukes of Hazard and Shera not the Remones..LOL

I am rockabilly, spiced with rivet head...a smidge of goth and a dash of death metal.

What do I look like? Jeans, boots, dickies studded jacket with patches (not band patches), and a shirt...usually a nicer button down femine shirt...

As I like to put it..Im conservative punk..punk meaning to me not like everyone else, different, with an attitude...but Im not into anarchy, the brits, the ramones or anything else of that nature.

T

[ Edited by: thumper on 2003-05-16 14:04 ]

TK

I used to work with a bunch of these "neo" punk kids, and one day I was talking about "the day" as it were, and one of them mumbled "yeah right, like you would know"
So the next day I brought in my scrap book, fliers, photos and the like. They all just stared in slack jawed wonder, until one of them looked at me, then at one of the pics, and then in the most sympathy filled voice I have ever heard, asked "dude, what happened?"
I just winked and said, "you'll see"

E

On 2003-05-16 15:32, Tiki King wrote:
I used to work with a bunch of these "neo" punk kids, and one day I was talking about "the day" as it were, and one of them mumbled "yeah right, like you would know"

Yup..reminds me of the P-funk All-stars concert I saw last year. Ran into a kid in the men's who looked about 17, and let him know I'd been a P-funk, Bootsy etc. fan since 1976. He literally fell back against the wall with his jaw hanging...though that could have been the cheap beer he reeked of.

:), em.

Speaking about Punk-Tiki connections; Did anyone ever see this album cover for Captain 9s and the Knickerbocker Trio?

Sabu - I picked up a band button at Zed's of London in Long Beach (7th st store) in about 1984 that was small & black and just said "the Tikis" on it. Later read a small blurb about the band in the L.A. Weekly or Slash magazine (too sophisticated for NOMAG). I don't remember anything about the band except a picture of them sitting on their patio with a bunch of little tikis and tiki torches. Meanwhile I'm going to keep searching for that button (I never throw anything away...unless it's old and rancid).

MB

Ok, Terry, leave it to you to bring up Zeds.
My last memory of heading to that place is in the back of a truck with Outsiders, China White and Slashers band members (grew up with all of them) out of control scene....but, hey, wouldn't trade those days for anything.
Ahhhh...glad I made it. :)

BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!

Punk IS Dead!

Get a CLUE!!!!

How many times do we have to do this??? Shouldn't this be on BEYOND TIKI????

F#*K!!!

MB

Easy there Benno...gggeezzuz!
Haven't installed the alarm yet.

MB

yup, now we are just F'in with you's.
It's fun. At least for us!!
Aloooooooha!
Welcome home Brad!!!!!!

She doesn't know what she is talking about!

PUNK IS DEAD!

Trust me Tiki Freaks!!!

Get away from it while you can!!

It wasn't dead the other night in the Bamboo's room in Palm Springs. It's the people that your'e with that keep it alive. Yeah, I was born in the mid-seventies, but you can always tell the true believers from the ones jumping on the wagon. Ski knows.

MB

"I'm an outsiderrrrr, outside of everythin'." Long live Joey.
Ski who??
Alooooooha!
Welcome back to the madness, Brad!! Whooooooo Yaaaaa.
You Rock!

It's the pizza that did in Joey!

On 2003-05-16 18:27, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Speaking about Punk-Tiki connections; Did anyone ever see this album cover for Captain 9s and the Knickerbocker Trio?
[img]

One of my fave albums of all time! Sabu, I owe you a Mai Tai!

I think the best thing I ever read about the Ramones was - "every album you guys put out was like a Greatest Hits album" F'ckn'A right. I'm currently recycling a forgotten fave punk classic - "Pass the dust,I think I'm Bowie." by Black Randy & the Metrosquad. Sample lyrics on the disc -
"Now I see my good true friends
All come to stupid ends.
With their arms all shot full of holes,
Vacant shadows that they call souls.
Looking at the world though rose-colored glasses'
Not even 30 and flat on their asses".

• Black Randy, "Hit it and Quit it"
    Interesting liner note - "It is said that Randy is buried in Long Beach, his adopted home".
    For a brief taste of Black Randy, we'll have to dig up an old movie - "Ladies & Gentlemen - the fabulous Stains"
    I'm workin' on it!
TK
S

Ahh, the kids! That's why I'm scared of 'em!

Long live Joey!

'Adios, Amigos!'

Hey Ben, punk's not dead! It's just drunk on rum.

A recovering ex-punk? I always thought once you were one, you never stopped- at least inside. Now that I'm without a job, I thought I'd go ahead and finally color my hair a color not found in nature (20+ years late..), but my KIDS won't let me! How the tables have turned...
Loved Tiki King's pictures
RIP Joe

Punk is dead? Nah. It lives on in the hearts of the masses. Quietly. Born in the late 70's, I missed the bulk of punk. But I like the Clash, the Ramones, the Misfits, basically everything Glen Danzig did and a little known industrial band called Throbbing Gristle. Combine that with being born in the South and a Parrothead step-father, and man, talk about a mixed up kid.

T

From punk to Buffet? Now I've heard it all!

S

THE PUNK BUFFET!

Punk can't be dead because it never really existed! The label "PUNK" was just something created by a record co. executive to move product he didn't know how else to classify. Then the boss of the record company shot back in a memo and said "I don't like this word "punk". It sounds too "street" for the kids who have the money to spend on our records. Can't you think up something a little less "harsh"? And viola, we have "NEW WAVE"!"I can live with that" says the boss. And they lived happily ever after. ZZZZZZZZZZZ good nite

Tomorrow nights bedtime story will be FUNK - R&B , soul or ?????

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 33 replies