Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Emergency substitutions: Bad idea

Pages: 1 6 replies

T
twitch posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2010 7:27 PM

Making my second Mai Tai, I ran out of limes, and what I had only made half the requirements. Thought I'd just use lemon for the rest. Ooh.
I almost couldn't finish it. Terrible!! Couldn't believe it.
Anyone else have a similar horrendous experience?

On 2010-09-02 19:27, twitch wrote:
Making my second Mai Tai, I ran out of limes, and what I had only made half the requirements. Thought I'd just use lemon for the rest. Ooh.
I almost couldn't finish it. Terrible!! Couldn't believe it.
Anyone else have a similar horrendous experience?

I've been there brother, and it sucks to run out of limes right in the middle. That's when I usually switch to Rye based cocktails.

I was making olives the other day, the recipe called for lemons and all I had was limes - we should have traded :lol: I hope the limes in my olives work out better than the lemon in your Mai Tai!

A

Yep same here- you only try that substitution once! It's the lime/orgeat combo that makes that drink sing.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but has citrus been expensive anywhere else besides here in Cincinnati this summer? Lemons & limes have been selling for 79 cents a piece, and the limes have been small at that. Must have been a lousy crop this year.

RB

Lemon & lime prices have actually gone down this summer here in Portland, OR (3 limes for $1 and 2 lemons for $1), and the quality has been pretty good. But oranges are expensive, and the few grapefruits around are terrible. I seem to remember there was bad weather earlier this year in Florida...that may be the reason behind the orange/grapefruit problem.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 3, 2010 11:03 AM

GROG was out of Rum, limes, pineapple juice, and Orgeat, so GROG just substitute Tequila. It not taste as good, but still got GROG drunk.

Pages: 1 6 replies