Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge 9-1-10 Playlist

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

This show was Part 2 of a two-show celebration of the Beat Generation, timed to mark the 90th birthday of Charlie Parker (August 29). See my August 25 playlist for Part One. Note that I wandered a bit farther afield from my usual collection of Hawaiian music, Exotica, Pop and Jazz. I’m sure a few Tiki music purists will bridle at some of the music I chose to include in the second half of the show, but all of it was appropriate to the theme.

It occurred to me that readers might wonder at some of the juxtapositions of music, not realizing that my show is broken up with two spoken-word breaks where I back announce the selections and make other announcements. One of these is about half way through, and the other is my signoff just before I play the last selection. I have inserted indications of where these take place so that you can suss that my show is not entirely an hour-long train wreck.

Next week we will be back to our normal programming. Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Fairfax Public Access/WEBR Radio, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webr/live.htm

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: September 1, 2010

1. “Jazz Jump” by King Pleasure from his recording: Moody’s Mood for Love

2. “Lullaby of Birdland” from the1954 album: Sarah Vaughan With Clifford Brown. With Joe Benjamin on Bass; Clifford Brown on Trumpet; Roy Haynes on Drums; Jimmy Jones on piano; Herbie Mann on Flute; and Paul Quinichette on Tenor Sax

3. “It's Sand, Man!” By Jon Hendricks and the All-Stars from the CD: Boppin’ at the Blue Note (2:33) With Wynton Marsalis on Trumpet; DC’s Red Holloway on Alto Sax and Benny Golson on Tenor Sax TRACK 8

4. “Travelin' Blues” the 1945 song by Slim Gaillard from the CD Box Set: Laughing in Rhythm [Disc Three – Cement Mixer]

5. “Crazeology” by the Charlie Parker Sextet: J. J. Johnson on Trombone, Miles Davis on Trumpet, Duke Jordan on Piano, Tommy Potter on Bass and Max Roach on Drums, recorded in 1947. From the collection: Boss Bird – Studio Recordings 1944-51 [Disc Two – Bluebird]

6. “October in the Railroad Earth” read by Jack Kerouac with Steve Allen on Piano from the CD Box Set: The Beat Generation [Volume Two]

7. “Kiddin' on the Square” by Mose Allison from his CD: Middle Class White Boy

8. “Four Brothers” by Anita O’Day from her CD: Live in Tokyo ‘63

[BREAK]

1. “Neal and Jack and Me” by King Crimson from their CD: Beat

2. “Diamonds on My Windshield” by Tom Waits from his record: The Heart of a Saturday Night

3. “912 Greens” by Ramblin’ Jack Elliott from his record: Young Brigham. About what happened after a reading by Jack Kerouac in New Orleans in 1953

4. “Cassidy” by the Grateful Dead’s Bob Weir from his solo album, Ace, about Neal Cassidy

[BREAK]

1. “Driving Away From Home (Dead Man’s Curve)” by the British band It’s Immaterial from their CD: Life’s Hard and Then You Die, which namechecks Jack Kerouac

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-09-04 19:15 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies