Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

My new Bar (wicked pic heavy)

Pages: 1 5 replies

A

I started building my bar a few weeks ago. It was a really long process b/c I have no carpentry skills, I have no math skills and I had to do all the work myself. I spent waaaay too much time drawing out my schematics. I'm a man who needs a plan. So I sat for hours drawing out my 8 foot bar on graph paper. But, when the actual building started, the drawings weren't worth the paper they were printed on. And that's b/c my schematics were based on a 2 inch my 4 inch 2X4. And half way through my construction I learned a 2X4 isn't 2 inches by 4 inches. But they still call it a 2X4. Anyway, I wanted to make it somewhat portable, just in that when I complete my new patio next spring, I want to be able to easily disassemble the bar and move it. So, my plans were to create it like a jigsaw puzzle, of sorts.
Once I got the frame built, I went about creating the top from plywood later that week. I used an 8X4 sheet and was able to make the top and the 'back bar' used to prepare he drinks all from the same sheet. I created it in such a way that it fits into the frame securing with the need for just a few screws. The roof is supported by two 2x4’s, and I cut a hole in the top so the roof supports can then slide into the roof and into a bracket of the frame. So, when the day comes to move the bar, the roof can be slipped off, the top easily taken off, and the bar transported to a different part of the yard rather easily.
I used the ‘reed privacy fencing’ from home depot for the front of the bar and the roof. And, I finished the top of the bar by burning a few tikis into the top of the bar with a soldering iron, then framing the bar top with the faux PVC bamboo.

So, here are a few pictures of the project. I still need to touch up the PVC bamboo with the shellac, and I need a few more coats of polyurethane on the bar top. But other than that, I’m just about ready for my party Saturday night.

[ Edited by: Adcurium 2010-09-08 07:41 ]

[ Edited by: Adcurium 2010-09-08 07:53 ]

A

BTW, I don't know anything about the interwebs either. I'm sorry my post is all goofy and sideways...

Looks good, gonna need more tikis though to be called a tiki bar :D

I think if you go in and edid your original post (edit button at the bottom of the post) and put a blank line inbetween each of the images it should cure the sideways thing. Welcome to TC!

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-10-26 03:59 ]

T

Think about wind.
I bought a premade tiki bar that was built well.
The wind messed that thing up many times.

I've got a bar with a "thatch" roof sorta like this (oughta post some pictures sometime) that I made for outdoors and I basically take it apart each year for the winter. Not the sturdiest construction, but a system that works.

Pages: 1 5 replies