Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Worst Rum List.

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies

I'll start.

Porfidio Plata! If they had described it as Mexico's answer to moonshine, mountain dew or corn whiskey I would have bought it for that reason. It was on sale for $20 down from $40? Label say "Pure Cane Rum" and "single-cane, triple distilled" Makes no mention of what the "cane" is.

Avoid at all costs. Buy the grocery store brand before this crap.

I know everyone has their own taste, even no taste at all. :) What are the other bad rums?

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-11-08 13:09 ]

A

OK, I think I may have figured out what is wrong with your rum. It's tequila!

http://www.pocotequila.com/bltour/porfidio4.html

Oh! Snap!

I avoid any rum that comes it what looks like a plastic Listerine bottle with a different label.

W

On 2010-09-13 13:13, arriano wrote:

You're joking right? :)

http://www.pocotequila.com/mextour/ron.porfidio.html

Zaya, hands down. Vanilla-ey, overpriced yuck. Flame away

I am actually scared to try their tequila now.
Did they just pump the rum thru the tequila works?

Plastic bottles are not always a sign of bad hooch, as in this famous exception:

But cool labels on the other hand do not guarantee liquid gold:

Should have known that this discounter store rum was only good enough to cook with. :)

Old Sam. Didn't like it straight, didn't like it in cocktails.

Barcardi,
any questions?

S

What about Bacardi?

S

Worst I have had is easily "Conch Republic". I had to give it a try. It was so cheap. Some of my favorite rums are a mere $20-25 a bottle. But, whoa! This is bad stuff!

On 2010-09-14 01:50, swizzle wrote:
What about Bacardi?

Its absolutely horrible, I don't like it, and many respected mixologists
don't like it.

why do you like it?
oh I am sorry.

just because something is popular,
doesn't mean its good.

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-09-14 10:03, bigtikidude wrote:

What about Bacardi?

doesn't mean its good.

Jeff(btd)

Especially when it comes to music!

(Like that "internationally" famous group, The Rhesus Monkeys! They SUCK, but because they are buddies with a lot of people on this forum, the crap gets lapped up left and right! Pre-sale THIS!)

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-09-14 10:25 ]

AF

Worst from a rum tasting a few years ago...Tommy Bahama.

S

On 2010-09-14 10:03, bigtikidude wrote:

What about Bacardi?

Its absolutely horrible, I don't like it, and many respected mixologists
don't like it.

why do you like it?
oh I am sorry.

doesn't mean its good.

Jeff(btd)

Bacardi 8 is fantastic. I do agree that all their other products are rubbish though. I've never tried Barcardi before, that's all :)

T

Brugal Anejo Domenican. Makes me afraid of any rum from... Domenico. Domenica? You know, that Republic.

TT

On 2010-09-14 18:45, twitch wrote:
Brugal Anejo Domenican. Makes me afraid of any rum from... Domenico. Domenica? You know, that Republic.

Be afraid, be very afraid. I was just going on about this stuff last week. What is that flavor...horrible, just horrible.
They should change the name to BRUTAL.

[ Edited by: Tonga Tom 2010-09-15 12:36 ]

H

I have three bottles of rum in my bar that I have never opened. I think they must be horrible. Lahaina, Sailor Jerry and Bacardi 151. I don't know what to do with them.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 14, 2010 7:56 PM

Jack Daniels--worst rum EVAR!!

Makes the crappiest Mai Tai GROG ever tasted!

REDRUM!

Captain Morgan Parrot Bay and Castillo (any). Flavored rums are awful in general and with Castillo, you really do get what you pay for.

A few overrated rums:

-Pyrat XO and Pyrat Pistol (both taste like Big Red gum)

• 23 year Ron Zacapa - (I swear it's 90 percent corn syrup)
    -St. George Agua Libre Fresh-Squeezed Rum (I liked it at first until I realized that it's swill compared to the great agricoles from Martinique)
    -Hudson River Rum (made by an otherwise great whiskey distillery that should keep their rum away from their whiskey barrels)
    -Malibu Pineapple (a mere shot gave me a nasty headache)

[ Edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2010-09-14 21:03 ]

[ Edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2010-09-14 21:03 ]

J

On 2010-09-14 19:56, GROG wrote:

Really, are you a Bourbon drinker? While JD is technically not Bourbon, it's pretty close. The last couple of times at Tonga Hut, Kelly's mixed me a Bourbon Special from Remixed. It was a pretty darn good cocktail.

I think Bourbon can be a great base for a Tropical, it's a nice change of pace from Rum. Maybe it's the Curacao in the Mai Tai that's not blending well with the JD. The Orgeat should be OK, since that's an ingredient in a (Bourbon-based) Eastern Sour.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-14 21:54 ]

REDRUM!

A

But how was the Honi Honi?

:wink:

Ol' Jack is actually a Tennessee whiskey. It also makes a cruddy Manhattan (unless it's Gentleman Jack).

J

You guys are tough. :(

Now while JD isn't my go-to whiskey, it's perfectly decent booze.

Also you might look down on Bacardi, but it's probably what they're using in your Tiki-Ti Ray's Mistake and Trader Vic's classic Mai Tai. (Isn't the TV-branded rum essentially Bacardi ??)

Used to be a Whiskey Man, I liked Canadian Club & Crown Royal then.
as a former Bartender,Bacardi was the stock rum for many bars,you had to go top shelf for the good stuff.

A

On 2010-09-15 20:37, JOHN-O wrote:

Also you might look down on Bacardi, but it's probably what they're using in your Tiki-Ti Ray's Mistake and Trader Vic's classic Mai Tai. (Isn't the TV-branded rum essentially Bacardi ??)

I thought TV's rum was Cruzan, but I could be wrong.

On 2010-09-16 10:08, arriano wrote:

TV's doesn't use Bacardi in their Mai Tai.

J

I stand corrected, Martiki said in a older post that Cruzan makes the TV rums...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33767&forum=10&vpost=481623

Although not aged as long as regular Cruzan.

And although Bacardi and TV Rum ain't aged El Dorado or Barbancourt, I wouldn't consider them candidates as the "worst rum".

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-16 19:09 ]

On 2010-09-16 19:05, JOHN-O wrote:
I stand corrected, Martiki said in a older post that Cruzan makes the TV rums...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33767&forum=10&vpost=481623

Although not aged as long as regular Cruzan.

And although Bacardi and TV Rum ain't aged El Dorado or Barbancourt, I wouldn't consider them candidates as the "worst rum".

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-16 19:09 ]

I'm no fan of Bacardi, but it's definitely not in 'the worst' category. I haven't had Brugal Anejo, but their White Label is one of my favourite white rums. Ed Hamilton writes very highly of it as well.

On 2010-09-16 10:08, arriano wrote:

At Trader Vic's Los Angeles last time I was in about 2 months ago I ordered a Trader Vic's Grog it was not great and it should have been. When I ordered a second round I asked what my choices were for a dark rum from anywhere please and the answer was, Trader Vic's Dark Rum or Myers take your pick. So, don't think just because it's a "wow" place it's going to have the best cocktail in town necessarily. It's cost efficient for Vic's to use their brand Cruzan or not, not good. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33767&forum=10&vpost=481623

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-09-16 20:13 ]

On 2010-09-14 18:45, twitch wrote:

Vizcaya VXOP Cask 21 Premium Dominican Rum. One of my favorites, you won't be scared anymore. I like a shot of it just before bed time.

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, Ca.91606

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-09-16 20:44 ]

Nope it's RUM! Here is my photo of it up close. What arriano confused was a Tequila Porfidio makes it has a similar bottle with a cactus in it. This is definitely rum. It smells like wine vinegar but definitely tastes like weak, sweet on the palate rum, not dry rum. Not Cachaça but Rum. This rum is corked so I don't doubt ya sprung a leak. Taste it, give it a whirl but plan on using the pretty bottle of it right away, it's not going to keep. It's not the worst I ever tasted mine was good acually, better than it smells, nice bottle, they will sell loads of it I'm sure. That's my opinion,

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, Ca.91606

M

As a low cost well rum I'll take Castillo over Barcardi.... not a raving endorsement for sure, but I don't think Castillo's is the worst - Mr. Boston's Rum is by far the worst WTF nasty rum I've ever tasted...........just sayin'.

[ Edited by: meega 2010-09-17 10:04 ]

Although I don't HATE hate Bacardi white (or gold), I would never drink it on its own. However, even the Bacardi White "lays down" nice in a cocktail—but I would much rather use Cruzan White or Mathusalem White.

Don Q Cristal, on the other hand--that stuff is wretched and it will RUIN a drink. Some of the other Don Q offerings are not horrible, but avoid the clear stuff.

Bay Rum tastes like sh*t!

On 2010-09-17 14:00, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Although I don't HATE hate Bacardi white (or gold), I would never drink it on its own. However, even the Bacardi White "lays down" nice in a cocktail—but I would much rather use Cruzan White or Mathusalem White.

Don Q Cristal, on the other hand--that stuff is wretched and it will RUIN a drink. Some of the other Don Q offerings are not horrible, but avoid the clear stuff.

Not a bad rum. In fact, the favorote among the denizens of PR. Makes a stellar, clean, daiquiri. My last trip to PR was warmed by some very warm nighhts cuddled up with my friends and Don Q Cristal!

On 2010-09-17 19:12, bewarethe151 wrote:

On 2010-09-17 14:00, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:

Not a bad rum. In fact, the favorote among the denizens of PR. Makes a stellar, clean, daiquiri. My last trip to PR was warmed by some very warm nighhts cuddled up with my friends and Don Q Cristal!

Ditto, Don Q Cristal is quite a decent mixer rum, muuuch better than Bacardi Superior.

Ditto, Don Q Cristal is quite a decent mixer rum, muuuch better than Bacardi Superior.

Weird, about half the people I talk to say the same thing, and the other half are like me, who think the stuff has no taste or character other than smelling like ethanol or cheap vodka

Oh, you guys really don't know your shitty rums!

One of the worst all-time rums I've ever tried is Mekhong, from Thailand:

But Bundaberg from Australia is pretty gawdawful too!

Stroh, 160 proof rum from Austria.

Worst. Rum. Ever.

As much as I love the bottle and the marketing... I still have over 3/4 of a bottle of Kraken left... and I bought it well over a year ago.
I think that about says it all.

Really? we are on our 4th large bottle of Krakan since Tiki Oasis
but to be fair we have been serving a few drinks lately.

Makes a good Painkiller!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-20 01:55 ]

S

On 2010-09-19 16:01, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Oh, you guys really don't know your shitty rums!

One of the worst all-time rums I've ever tried is Mekhong, from Thailand:

But Bundaberg from Australia is pretty gawdawful too!

Bundaberg is disgusting. I'm ashamed that this so called rum comes from Australia, yet we can produe a fine product like Inner Circle. It's amazing how popular it is here, but then again it is drunk by bogans who only drink it mixed with cola. Thats the probably the only way they can swallow it.
My friend couldn't believe i'd never had it before and made me try some a few years ago. I almost spat it out it was that bad.

Lambs Spiced Rum.

Tried a shot of this yesterday.

Watery with a very subtle hint of Meths.

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies