Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Smokin Menehunes Live at Don the Beachcomber Friday 10/1/2010 @ 7:30 in the Longboard Room

Pages: 1 20 replies

Hot off the coconut-bong wire!
Come join the Smokin' Menehunes at Don the Beachcomber Huntington Beach in the Longboard Room for some great vintage Hawaiian music and 'ono food and drinks. It's a great combination of Hawaiian music in a Polynesian setting. Have dinner and drinks while enjoying the show! Come early to ensure good seating.

WooHooo! Smokin Menehunes + Don's = The Perfect Way to Start Off Your Weekend :)

TM

scary

thank you

and WTF?

Jeff(btd)

If it's The Smokin Menehunes, then it will be a swingin' time.
But I am confused by how it's listed...

Don the Beachcomber calendar

Cover charge? Expected to buy a dinner? Or can you just buy drinks just like it was in the Dagger Bar?

TM

No cover charge, no drink minimum...just come for the good times! (The food IS good and so are the drinks...and the Menehunes will make you thirsty..so no problems there!)

J

I might invite my friend (originally from Hawaii) and his family to this.

Are children allowed in the Longboard room ?

Yes I know Don's allows them back there but will Lucas ? :D

Those kids know how to do perform the Hukilau the correct way. Their parents make them take hula lessons too.

TM

Well, just like Don Ho always used to do, Pat will call up from the audience anyone who wants to sing, play or dance with us! That's standard operating procedure for the Menehunes! So, of course they can come up, do a hula and have some fun the old Hawaiian way! We are family friendly, kid friendly....and despite my anti-brat thread in bilge, some of you know what I do for a living....and yes, it means I love kids! The Smoking Menehunes are the only "tiki" band around these parts practicing the lost art of the vintage Luau! Bobby and Cindy Brady are more then welcome...heck, they are our core audience! (deedle eedle ooh!)

Pat told me there WILL be special guests! It's gonna be a fun night. The Smokin Menehunes played at our wedding a year ago...yes, its already been a year! Whatta way to start our anniversary weekend! WoooHoooooo!

WooHoo..... Only 4 More Days!!!!!!! :)

We're bringing in extra tables for the show...Be early to make sure you get a table to eat, drink and watch the SM's! Suggestion: Have dinner in the restaurant before the show.... There will be extra staff on hand to make sure everyone is well attended to. See ya Friday!!!

TM

Woohoo! Bukas!

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-09-30 08:35 ]

Is it Friday yet???

WooHooooo! Countdown to 7:30pm....Bill Tapia will be performing tonight too :)

J

Classic !! With the balmy weather it felt like we could have been in Waikiki (in the late 1950's).

No Revival stuff here, it was 100% straight-up old-school Tiki Music.

I can't imagine it being any more purist than this. :)

Bill Tapia is 102 years old !! That's equivalent to 2 Lucas Vigors + a pre-teen.

Ooops, bumped to a new page. Go back 1 page for pictures.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-01 23:50 ]

Great seeing the Menehunes last night! They sounded AMAZING. I'm sincerely not just saying that because two of the three are/ were in my band with me. if you haven't gotten a chance to see them, don't miss it. It's really like being transported back to early Hawaii!

Lucas' bass playing was super fun to watch. His technical and comical (I mean that in a super positive way) bass solo received a HUGE applause. And Bonger was playing super tasteful steel parts really well! The singer and Bill were amazing and charismatic as well. Just a really fun show!

Good to see a bunch of friends too!
...and MAN, do I love those Don's maitais....

TM

Thanks Spike! As soon as you arrived, I swear the energy level totally jumped! All three of us were pretty toasted by that time, as we often are! So the second half of our show is always a wee bit better!

Nice to see a fairly big crowd, and even a few hipsters from Fez-O Rama! (they must have gotten lost in Don's, and wandered into the longboard room, then decided to stay!)

Big Tiki Dude was planted solidly in the back, checking us out with his usual scrutinizing glare!

I was suprised that Bill played, and not only one song but like 5 or 6 this time!

John O brought a bunch of keikis, and they did a massive hula near the end of the show...afterwards, I had a great conversation with him, and it only reinforced what I already suspected: he is one of the coolest cats on this forum!

even one of my friends from work came and brough one of the "bosses" with her (big- wig deputy directors from my agency) so that's a total of 3 deputies that have come to see us in recent times! They see me at work, all professional like....

and then they see me staggering around, drooling a bit, swilling from one of Don's "rum barrels"...great! Nice example I set!

Don's was very packed though, so I do apologize for the lack of parking...I guess there was a wedding in the back....(and I thought all those Jersey Shore looking people were there for US) But Soccer Tiki really helped set the place up nice, so everything worked out!

Hopefully there will be a next time, in a month or so!

But DAMN my head hurt this morning! Makes me think what the fuck I did!

Ever the good soldier, I attended a "Master Class" hosted by members of the Emerson String Quartet (yes, THE Emerson string quartet) this morning, bright and early! So even WITH a massive hangover...I played through! Now THAT'S dedication to music!

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-10-02 15:02 ]

I arrived late and no room or chairs inside so I had to stand outside. But there was a real nice breeze that night and it went well with the music.

Too bad they couldn't do outdoor shows at Dons. But I guess it would bother the neighbors.

Great Night all around.
hope this becomes the new monthly venue for the Smokin Menehunes.
I just hope that if it gets more people we can move it to the back room.
if its not rented out for a party.

Jeff(btd)

and yeah Lucas, those Rum Barrels are lethal and pack a wollop of a hang over.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 20 replies