Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Black lava rock????

Pages: 1 8 replies

S

hey guys i live in san diego, and i want black either 1/2 or 1 inch rocks, i also would want boulders! any ideas of a great place to get this stuff? i repeat black and porous lava rocks. thx everyone!

I bought some in Alpine off Tavern (?) road just north of I8. It wasn't as black as I wanted so I spray painted it :lol: I figured it's rough enough it won't wear off and I can always respray it if I need too. Been about a year so far and still looks great.

Try RCP?

Dave, I didn't read your question closely enough :blush: The stuff I bought was semi-flat chunks, about 1-2 square feet and 1-2 inches thick. I broke it into pieces about 6x6 inches and cemented it to a concrete wall.

8T

I don't know about the smaller stuff but I have been picking up lava boulders here in the KC area by talking people into selling me their lava rocks in their yards. Usually it is when I stop at a yard sale that has some of them in the landscaping. They are often unappreciated by the homeowner. Perhaps it is because a previous owner put them there or a builder when the home was new. I think I have only heard no once. There isn't a place here that sells rocks that carries them these days so I just get them second hand and it's cheaper. Don't know how many you need but this is an option if you can be a little patient and persistent. Good Luck!

Anyone know a source for these in Dallas? Everybody has the RED lava rock, but no black!

GK

T
txmod posted on Fri, Sep 24, 2010 6:33 PM

I can't help you all with resources in those locations. There is a house here in my neighborhood in Houston that is going to be torn down that has a TON of black lava rock, big ones, covering the outside. I am sure all of it will be going to the landfill. You want it, bring a chisel and peel it off the side of the house.

[ Edited by: txmod 2010-09-24 18:43 ]

On 2010-09-19 20:47, sleestak wrote:
hey guys i live in san diego, and i want black either 1/2 or 1 inch rocks, i also would want boulders! any ideas of a great place to get this stuff? i repeat black and porous lava rocks. thx everyone!

Alpine Rock & Block?

A

On 2010-09-19 20:47, sleestak wrote:

Have you tried KRC Rock on Federal Blvd?

http://www.krcrock.com/

Do a search for "lava" on their search engine.

Pages: 1 8 replies