Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Simple Tiki Drink List

Pages: 1 15 replies

I know that "simple tiki drinks" is an oxymoron - tiki drinks should be rich and complex, filled with obscure and exotic ingredients. But for us "entry level mixologists", how about a list of simple tiki drinks? Drinks with a short list of readily available ingredients (5 ingredients or less?)

I will try to add any suggestions here to this list to keep for a quick and easy reference, see posts below for any discussion. I didn't put any recipes here, only ingredients - recipes should be easy enough to find.

***Disclaimer - these are drinks suggested by various people, they and may or may not be the "official" ingredients

Painkiller - Pineapple juice, cream of coconut, orange juice, rum, nutmeg
Derby Daiquiri - Orange juice, lime, simple syrup, rum
Dark & Stormy - Lime, ginger beer, rum
Leilani Volcano - Guava Nectar, pineapple juice, lime juice, rock candy syrup, coconut rum
Rum, lime & ice - (got a name for that Swizzle?)
Planter's Punch - Rum, sugar syrup, bitters, and ice
Any Daiquiri - Lime, sweetener, rum, tropical fruit flavor of your choice (or not)
Pina Colada - Pineapple, cream of coconut, rum, (lime?) Also Pina Passion & Moon Kissed Coconut variations.
Mai Tai - Orange curaƧao, orgeat, rock candy syrup, lime juice, rums, mint (Not sure the Mai Tai belongs on this list, it's 6+ ingredients depending on the number of rums you use)
Cuba Libre - Coke, rum, (lime?)
Trader Vic's Navy Grog - Navy Grog mix, grapefruit juice, simple syrup, and rum, (club soda?)
Hurricane - Lemon juice, passionfruit syrup, rum
Coconaut - Coco Lopez, lime juice, rum
Honolulu Honey - gold rum, mango puree, pineapple juice, honey cream, lime juice (see link for recipe and discussion of honey cream)
Navy Grog/Ancient Mariner - allspice syrup/pimento dram, lime, grapefruit, Demerara rum, gold rum
Donga Punch - cinnamon syrup, lime, grapefruit, Martinique rum
Black Stripe - Hot water, honey or molasses, rum, cinnamon, (cloves?, maraschino cherries?)
Rum Runner - 151 rum, blackberry brandy, creme de banana, grenadine, and lime juice
Blue Hawaiian - Vodka, white rum, pineapple juice, sweet & sour, curacao
Chi Chi - Vodka, pineapple juice, Coco Lopez
Lord Jim - Vodka, creme de cacoa, creme de banana, lime juice, pineapple juice
Mango Cooler - Vodka, mango nectar, orange juice, lemon juice, cointreau
Tiki Ti's Tiki Kapu - Vodka, lime juice, pineapple juice, banana
Tiki Ti's Electric Lemonade - Vodka, sweet & sour, curacao
Blue Reef - Blue Curacao, lime juice, Galliano, light rum
Blue Lagoon - Blue Curacao, light rum, lemonade (more of a quasi-tiki drink for when you invite your non-tiki friends for a luau :D )
Noa Noa - Lime, brown sugar, Angostura bitters, Demerara rum
Pieces of Eight - Lemon, Lime, Passion Fruit Syrup, Light Rum
Shrunken Skull - Gold and Demerara Rums, Lime Juice, Pomegranate Syrup and ice cubes
Corn 'n Oil - Blackstrap Rum, Falernum, Angostura Bitters, lime garnish
Tangaroa - Rum, Lime, Mango Nectar, Amaretto

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-08-31 21:50 ]

Thanks Mike, this is just what I need too! I'm as beginner as they come!

S

Rum, lime, ice.

Or, rum, sugar syrup, bitters, ice.

You'll have to be a bit more clear on the simple part..... few ingredients? Or very easy to find ingredients?

Any variation on a Daiquiri is simple.

Pina Colada is easy, but I suggest changing the name so as to avoid the "...Like being caught in the rain" connotations. The Mai Kai has two variations called the Pina Passion and the Moon Kissed Coconut.

Mai Tai's are simple, Orgeat being the most difficult ingredient to find but easy enough to make.

Cubra Libra (Rum and Coke), or is that too simple?

Thanks, great suggestions from both of you.

I forgot the Cuba Libre - made one the other night (added lime)
I thought about the Pina Colada but I was afraid to mention it, thought it might be too close to Buffett to bring up here as it might make some people uncomfortable :lol: I like the Mai Kai variation names better :D

"You'll have to be a bit more clear on the simple part..... few ingredients? Or very easy to find ingredients?"
BOTH! So far so good!

S

I'd add the Trader Vic's Navy Grog using their concentrate. 3/4 oz of concentrate, 2 oz dark rum, splash of grapefruit and simple syrup. I'd also add a splash fo club soda, but, that's me...

The Hurricane seems a good candidate for this list. 2 oz lemon juice, 2 oz passion fruit syrup, & 4 oz. dark jamaican rum

KT

On 2010-09-22 07:18, swizzle wrote:
Rum, lime, ice.

Or, rum, sugar syrup, bitters, ice.

rum, lime, sugar syrup and ice/soda (optional bitters) is the basic planter's punch recipe. That's my usual "quick and easy" tipple.

Honolulu Honey added to the list

After I got bored with most of the cocktails I was making, I've found it's definitely worthwhile to make some of your own syrups, particularly allspice and cinnamon syrup. With those, you can make some very tasty yet simple recipes:
TV-style Navy Grog AKA Ancient Mariner - allspice syrup/pimento dram (if concentrate/mix not available), lime, grapefruit, Demerara rum, gold rum, possibly light rum (though 2oz is plenty as far as I'm concerned)
Donga Punch - cinnamon syrup, lime, grapefruit, Martinique rum
Nui Nui - cinnamon syrup, allspice syrup, vanilla syrup, orange, lime, rum, bitters (ok, that's 7 not 5!)
I'd add these to your list in a heartbeat!

[ Edited by: Brandomoai 2010-09-29 16:10 ]

TK

this is a good list to start with. i will be busy for hours and days.

A couple more added

I picked up some drinks from the Tiki Drinks with Vodka? thread and added them to the list

F

Great post Mike!

I'd say the Shrunken Skull is a great and easy drink: one oz gold and Demerara rums, 1 oz lime juice, 1 oz pomegranate syrup and ice cubes

D
Dagg posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2012 10:07 PM

Bumpity bump.

Great resource, I'm on my 4th dark n stormy (and it's stormy out here)

hiccup

Pages: 1 15 replies