Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Question re protecting wood floor

Pages: 1 6 replies

What can one put on a wood floor to protect against the scratching and water damage from a fountain?

I tried walking stones, but those broke due to the weight.
Maybe the bark circular coasters to go under plants?
However, to be protect against the splashing, it should extend approx 6 inches beyond.
Any thoughts?

Mahalo.

Sheet of plexi and you could paint the underside of it to give it any look you wanted. You could put one of them floor deals for office chairs too.

Chris, I don't know how big your fountain is but check out your home improvement store for a water heater tray. A galvanized or plastic round tray about 2-3 feet in diameter and a couple inches deep. If it's plastic and you want to paint it, try the Krylon Fusion spray paint to plastics

W

If you put some sort of sheet of material or liner right on the floor you should consider a way of installing it so there is air flow between the protecting material and the floor. That way if (or considering it's water the better word might be when) water gets between the protecting material and the floor it won't be sealed in against the wood floors and will dry out.

If I had floor I wanted to protect and a heavy water fountain I wanted to install on that floor I'd build a platform for the fountain to sit on. It wouldn't be difficult or expensive, just a sheet of heavy plywood, some basic supports made from 2x4 or 4x4 and a decent looking material to cover the plywood with (a stone pattern sheet vinyl floor covering would be ideal).

As much as it pains me to admit it, Woofmutt had a real good plan there :D

Good suggestions!
Maybe I can get plexiglass and place it on top of the cork coasters.
Mahalo!

On 2010-09-23 08:19, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Sheet of plexi and you could paint the underside of it to give it any look you wanted. You could put one of them floor deals for office chairs too.

Is plexi available at OSH, or is it what one buys at Staples to place under office chairs?

FYI:
The fountain sort of looks like this, although (unfortunately) the basin wall at the bottom is only about 5-6 inches tall(or short).

[ Edited by: christiki295 2010-09-23 15:23 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies