Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What do you think of these tikis?

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

A friend of a friend is selling them. They look very old. He told me they came out of backyard here in Vegas, but it seems like I've seen them somewhere before?

They are definitely old. Though I like the patina, I don't like the paint job that was applied to them later. Thing is, if you strip the paint, you destroy the patina, and then what's left? Personally, I do not find them original and well designed enough to mess with that.

T

Thanx Sven. Think they are worth $100 each?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 26, 2010 11:25 AM

$100 for the two.

Yeah, that's more like it. In a dark corner of your home hideaway, with not too much light on them, they might work. (Maybe with a nice descriptive museum-style plaque on them describing that they are old, but fell victim to the late Tiki Devolution custom of garish colorization) :)

Man, I'd be really tempted to strip that paint off and give them a nice, protective, flat varnish. I think they'd look 1,000X better. Yeah, the paint is old and all, but they look like aged carrousel horses, which they clearly are NOT.

$.02

I agree, I'd soda blast them and re-stain, for $200 they would be a steal.

Paul

On 2010-09-26 10:56, TikiPug wrote:
Thanx Sven. Think they are worth $100 each?

There pretty dam cool.. what about 40-50 yr old maybe...? I think if can, can... If not you might wish you did..:wink:
Not sure if I'd strip them or leave them as is...
Although I'm one of those that loves the Steve Crane clown mug... :wink:

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2010-09-26 20:16 ]

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2011-03-16 01:07 ]

Here's a link to the posting I made on these guys about two years ago....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29407&forum=1

Marty's been sittin' on these for a loooong time.

That's funny Lee, I knew I saw those two before somewhere..... Tiki Deja Vu... :0

M

Put me in the catagory to leave these crude but still way cool pieces as they are or have skilled/minimal cleaning/touch-up/preservation applied. To remove anything is to start removing their history and who knows what tales they could tell as is?

Nice find, don't waste it.

T

On 2010-09-27 00:20, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Here's a link to the posting I made on these guys about two years ago....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29407&forum=1

Marty's been sittin' on these for a loooong time.

Thanx Lee, I knew I had seen them before, but couldn't remember where. What do you think of them?

Pages: 1 12 replies