Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

trip to da mainland

Pages: 1 37 replies

G
GECKO posted on Thu, May 15, 2003 3:09 AM

howzit peopo,

Is anybody gon be by or live close to LAX airport on da 12th of June? I arrive at 9:45pm and don't want to ask mom or dad to drive all da way from Oceanside (San Diego county) fo pick me up dat late. I jus need a place fo crash and den I can rent a car in da mornin and drive to my ohana'z house.

If anybody wana suck em up dat night, I'm down for a few. I gotta get bizzy da next morning though. I'm pressed fo time. Only gon be in Cali till da morning of da 26th, den to da sunshine state of Florida. The 12th is a Thursday I tink.

Drop me an email.

Mahaloz

Hey G, I got you covered on this. I own a couch and you can sleep on it? My condo is the official LAX pitstop for the family since we're like 8 minutes away.

YAY! GECKO'S COMING TO TOWN!! I'll finally get a chance to meet you. Looking forward to it.

HH

you know i'll be down , see you soon

G

"Brown school of big pimpin"
you crazy braddah! I see you in a little while.

Aloha sista Floratina, like wise, can't wait fo meet you to and all da udda faces from dis board.

eh, tanks fo all da offers peopoz!! You guys showed me your aloha by emailing me for a ride as well as da post by dat bad ass carver Chiki. I owe you guys drinks!!! no worries i get em!

Al & pearly Shels is gon pick me up ya. Dey stey only tirty minutes away from my ohanaz place so, I won't have to rent a car. I love dem guys!

well can't wait to see all da tiki places of southern Cal. So much to see so little time. I would like to meet as many of you peepz as possible so come ova and buy me a drink....jus talking funny!

Hey Gecko - Give me a shout when you get to San Diego. Maybe we can get together in O.B. with my Stepdaughters who live there & grew up on the North Shore. They're always up for meeting & talking story with people from the islands. And they got plenty boards laying around if you wanna hit some waves.

Wait a minute Gecko. You get in LAX at 9:45 pm, then you gotta get down to AlnPearly Shell's place, then drink 'em up? It'll be 2 hrs. before you get to Al's, that's most likely midnite. Then you goin' to start suckin' 'em up at midnite? Jeez braddah!! Any other nite besides the 12th?

G

howzit Shipwreck,
yes, we can hook up at bali hai or someting. I won't be able to go out and play during da day cuz i'll be working most of the time. but wen da sun goes down dats a different story ya. plus da watta on da mainland is FREEEEEZIN!! and I like to body surf betta.
bring your daughters out when we hook up, they might like bali hai.

eh Jungletrader,
yes it's gon be a late one. Al said maybe get time fo stop by da purple orchid. I guess befo we go to his house and crash we will go der?? i neva know were da p orchid stey? close to da airport? if get time fo dat, den shoots meet us ova der. But gotta make sure with Al first ya. I don't mind going from da airport den to a bar cuz i gotta calm down cuz i gon be happy to be home to see my mom and dad. plus we 3 hours behind calli which make em 6:45 my time wen i land at Lax. wat'evas Al&Shell like do. dey da ones in charge i don't have to go to work da next day but they do.

I jus gotta hook up with a buddy da next day fo get ready fo da Cruz show. Anybody know em? his name is Mike Tuitas. he's a Samoan local boy. big tiki collector. anyways I'm going to promote my new tiki panels on da mainland. I'll have these at the cruz show so come out and talk story with me. heres a pic of my main 2 designs wihich will be on my new web page.

not a whole lot of peopo know these were used in tiki bars way back wen cus most of them were thrown out cus of termites or wat'evas. I saw a don the beach pair once on ebay a looong time ago. I wanted to reproduce them cuz i think they are beautiful. ok I'm done, alohaz and see ya peepz soon.

geko

Cool, I didn't put it together that you were arriving for the Aloha Cruz show. I'll see you there. I'll try to bring some more photos of my tikis to show you. Are you carving stuff on the mainland to sell at the show? Bringing stuff from Hawaii? Or are your panels at the Samoan friend's booth? I'll find out when I get there. Can't wait to meet ya.

G

Cool, I didn't put it together that you were arriving for the Aloha Cruz show. I'll see you there. I'll try to bring some more photos of my tikis to show you. Are you carving stuff on the mainland to sell at the show? Bringing stuff from Hawaii? Or are your panels at the Samoan friend's booth? I'll find out when I get there. Can't wait to meet ya.

ey tikifille, dats right you live in southern area to, cherry. I look towards meeting you and seeing your pics of your carvings.

"Are you carving stuff on the mainland to sell at the show?"

"da show" is on the 14th so, I won't have time fa carve stuff fo da show except fo maybe 1 tiki and that's if i can find some wood. My brother carves to so hopefully he has some at his house.

"Bringing stuff from Hawaii?"
yes. panels, and hopefully about 3 tikis made from da local coconut trees here on da island. I will be bringing my extra autographed Martin Denny posters, and if braddah HULA HULA dosen't pick up my rattan fish aquarium I'll be bringing that to.

see ya at da show.

Gecko, your brother carves too? Does he know about Tiki Central. I'd love to see some of his work. Are your styles close or different?

Hey, can't wait till you get into town. Is there a Welcome to So Cal party planned yet? I heard a rumor about a night at Tiki Ti.

[i] Is there a Welcome to So Cal party planned yet? I heard a rumor about a night at Tiki Ti.

Wednesday, June 18. Tiki-Ti-be there or be untouched by all its exotic goodness!

-Weird Unc

G
GECKO posted on Mon, May 19, 2003 1:51 PM

wassup Pop,

ya, my little bro carves to. He dosen't go on Tiki Central. He's been carving on and off for about two years so, he's just getting into it. I got him his first chizles to get him started so he's in there. I haven't seen any of his new tikis lately but he's pretty good.

He makes them to support his Oakland Raider room. He's got my very first tiki at his house in the back yard of which he's turning into a polynesian paradise. I gotta help my man out and barter one of Boobam Bens bars for his backyard. I might bring one of his carvings to "da show"?

Tiki Ti is a must and yes, Weird Unc of da Gents plans on brining me by there fo suck'em up! so we can meet there to. I wanna see dem all Pop! bahuka, bali hai, tiki ti, etc etc....

see ya soon

Count me in for the Ti!

Sounds like Tiki Ti it is. Sounds like your bro might also enjoy teh Hale Hawaii in Torrance, probably the only place around you'll find Tiki statues wearing Raiders caps. God I hope its the only place around, Haha.

Yeah! We gotta take Gecko to Tiki Ti and the Bahooka. Who's got a day and time for this gig?

S

On 2003-05-19 13:59, suicide_sam wrote:
Sounds like Tiki Ti it is. Sounds like your bro might also enjoy teh Hale Hawaii in Torrance, probably the only place around you'll find Tiki statues wearing Raiders caps. God I hope its the only place around, Haha.

Raiders + Tiki! A Stentiki paradise! :wink:

Looking forward to meeting you, Gecko. Believe or not, never been to Tiki Ti so I'm definitely down for this and other HT/HB events.

GO RAIDERS!!!

Don't forget the Lemoyne Lanai! Hey, is there anything planned for a Saturday night or is it all on "school nights"?

A weekend night would work nicely. Gecko-I'm not sure what your wording meant about the rattan aquarium, but if it's for sale let me know.

the aquarium is MINE! muhahahha, just too bad I dont have a place for it anymore, gonna have to leave it in cali for my sis, till I move back.

Hula dog!

I already told you once, you can't make a bong outta an aquarium!

Gecko,

I was wondering if this is actually a trip specifically to visit TC folks and to visit some of our establishments.

I know how it is when you have to travel and have limited time to conduct both business and pleasure. I see that Laney mentioned about visiting her house, then she mentioned about going to Sam's for Monday night crab, then another post about visiting Tiki Ti, etc., etc.. I'm sure for your carving biz, you are wanting to conduct some private business and private visits with House of Tiki, Bamboo Ben, Bamboo2u, possibly, Jungle Trader/Money Man, as well as others. Not to mention visiting family and other non-TC related friends, and at least a day to chill out since I assume coming from 'da islands' schedule to SoCal's full-speed-ahead schedule can be quite draining.

I'd hate to think that we're putting any pressure on you to see all these different places, especially if you've got a specific schedule to keep.

If there are certain days or evenings that you actually have free, then just let us know, and somehow, someway, alot of us can meet up with you based on your schedule.

I only bring this up before TC members actually plan your 2 weeks FOR YOU. I know you don't want to disappoint anyone. Just tell us when you're available.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

L
laney posted on Tue, May 20, 2003 1:17 PM

Gecko's here on business (with some family mixed in I'm sure) but that's so sweet of you SCD to worry about him having TOO MUCH FUN! Maybe you could put together a little schedule for him? Be sure he sticks to it :wink:

When Al, Shelly and my tribe met with Mike in HI, he definately said he'd be into going to Bahooka, Tiki Ti and Sam's. But let's see what the man got's to say!

I say just go ahead and plan all this stuff to do, and if he can't make it to some of it, I'm sure we'd be more than happy to party on in his honor! :)

:tiki:

G
GECKO posted on Tue, May 20, 2003 5:17 PM

alohaz, peopo of da village...

ok, yes Bong mentioned to me that OA wanted some stuff wen i get back to da mainland so I have to stop OA, Bamboo2u, Bamboo Ben'z, hotlava, braddah Wes at Hale of tiki, i neva wen met Jungle Trader/money man yet. I would like to check dem out though SCD.

Tikifille ask was I gon be carving here...YES! So if you want to get a carving and save on da shipping from Hawaii to Calli den call me while i'm there. (808)277.3048

Yes, I would like to check out all da places everybody here talks story about all da time and gets da rest of us who live farrr farrrr away jelous! although it's gon be hard to top La Mariana but it's ok I love em all. So yes lets party. my nights should be free unless I'm working late. so plan wat evas and I gon try make em all. I'll stey in contact with bradda Al to see wat you guys like fo do.

secondly, some of my friends don't know I'm comminig so wen they do get da surprise they'll wanna go out and hang so dem days I won't be able to kick it wit yall.

I was jus gonna play it by ear. I would like to party every day I'm there.....If "Da Lagoon Room" don't mind on my slow nights.

Yes, I'm here to meet as many peopo from da tc village as possible. It's gonna be 10 times da pace on da mainland then wat we get here on da islands but I tink i can hang.
SHOW ME DA ALOHA CALI!

bad new for my Florida visit, I called yesterday to check up my reservations fo da Mai Kai show and da wahine wen sed "I'm sorry, I see no reservations anotated here for you sir" Wat the F*&#!!! So, looks like I gon be outside while da res of da villagerz are INSIDE!!! So, I don't know wat I'm gon do. Jus hang out I guess and suck'em up. I think she bumped me for a friend maybe...i don't know. So, I don't even know wat to expect out of da Florida trip. Hoping to meet all da peopoz out there though. I gon find something to do for 4 days. No Worries, I'm a local boy we neva worries bout stuff li'dat.

so Alohaz and see ya'll soon ya here!

AUUUUUWIEEEE!

shootz

ps,

Eh Hula,
I bet if Bong was stuck on da moon with a dime bag, matches and a fish aquarium he'd figure it out!

Let da parties begin!!!

HH

On 2003-05-20 17:17, GECKO TIKI wrote:
Eh Hula,
I bet if Bong was stuck on da moon with a dime bag, matches and a fish aquarium he'd figure it out!

Let da parties begin!!!

o yeah, bong can suck a camel through a straw,just ask baxdog. :wink:

i tink I go and try to make a happy fish bowl, fish need paka too!

Yeah Hula,

I remember (vaguely) you puffing like a mad man in the RV O' Stupor at Tiki Oasis III.

Awww man, I didn't want to get back down till July but now with Gecko comin' to town, jeez, I might have to be there. I need some sort of loose schedule peepoz. With Father's day and a small vaycay planned very close to Gecko's arrival, it gon be tuff. jeez. I tink I need to move back down.

King Kukulele is tenatively scheduled for his regular session at The Hub Cafe in Fullerton on June 18th at 9:30pm, the same night as the tenatively scheduled Tiki-T gathering.

Gecko, have you seen King Kukulele in action? Too bad both events are scheduled on the same night.

On 2003-05-23 10:19, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
King Kukulele is tenatively scheduled for his regular session at The Hub Cafe in Fullerton on June 18th at 9:30pm, the same night as the tenatively scheduled Tiki-T gathering.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Ironically, the Tiki Ti is in King's backyard so when he's in OC, we'll be in LA.

Gecko, if you've never seen the King perform then you'll really get a kick out of it. A show definitely not to be missed.

L

That sound's like a fun night. The same guy who owns the Hub owns Regan Years (attached), a cool small arcade filled with 80's games, and the Continental Room just up the street, a sweet little bar with retro decor, live music and a huge liquer selection (that's where I get my single barrel, yum) All great spots!

Well, since this is King's regular gig, here's where we can leave the decision up to Gecko:

Move the Tiki-T gathering to Thursday, and have Gecko see the King on Wednesday night. I can imagine King's face as he sees a large gathering of TC'ers at this Cafe! I don't believe King has had any TC support at any of his regular nights at The Hub Cafe (it's a coffee house).

Oh well, Gecko can decide what he'd like to do.

It's just my 2 coconuts worth.

G
GECKO posted on Fri, May 23, 2003 2:47 PM

I would like to do both. one wednsday and da odda tursday. I wanna know wat time da king plays? If there is still light out i'll most likely be carving. I can always show up later. as long as i have my days fo my work i'm good fo da nights.

so lets support da KING!

any odda ?? or plans, bring em up here.

we all gon have wun good time.

Gecko........you have to be one of the most laid back guys I've ever read about. Your great attitude makes me want to go back to the islands Fo' Sho'. Have fun on the Mainland, hope we can meet up, and don't work too hard, bra. And fill your Opu wit lot drink. Out

G
GECKO posted on Fri, May 23, 2003 3:40 PM

eh, dat's da only way to fly LapuRocker! you know how we do it here on da islands. like everyting slo ya! jus like da king of layin back in da island breez mr Bob Marley!

No worries!!!

aloha

The king will also be performing at The Hukilau 2003, so if you can't make it in SoCal to see him, you'll be able to catch him in Florida too!

:tiki:

S

Gotta luv da King!

Pages: 1 37 replies