Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

A Great Discovery & LH151 Subs

Pages: 1 5 replies

The Wife & I arrived at our rental house on Marco Island, Florida on Saturday, We're here until Saturday, when we head to Ft Lauderdale when we'll be visiting the Mai Kai. I set up our bar....

There's a mature mango tree out back that's filled with the biggest, ripest mangos that I've seen in years. I made us a round of Mango Daiquiris for the pool:

-3oz (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) amber rum
-1 1/2 cups (1-inch) cubes of firm-ripe mango (from two 1-lb mangoes), frozen
-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
-1 oz (2 tablespoons) triple sec
-2 teaspoons superfine granulated sugar
-2 cups ice cubes

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

While putting groceries away I opened a few of the kitchen cabinets and made a nice discovery:

It's the partially full bottle of Lemon Hart 151 Demerara that we left at the house when we were here in March 2009! This is great timing, because not only can I use the 151 in my cocktails during our vacation, but I'm able to critically taste the LH151 against other substitutes that I have been using since I ran out of it at home last year. The first thing that I've discovered is that the Gosling's 151 that I've been using has a completely different taste than the LH151 (it has kind of a root beer-like flavour), and isn't a good sub for LH151. Cruzan 151 might be a better sub.

As we make drinks this week I'll post some thoughts about the LH151.

Until then cheers & Mahalo!

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2010-09-28 16:39 ]

S

I see you say that bottle has been there since March 2009. It doesn't look like it has much in it and is about 18 months old. It's a shame you dont have a new bottle of LH to compare it too to see how the oxidation might have affected the taste. I'm refering to the post by aquarj here.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36799&forum=10&6

Given the alcohol content, significant oxidation won't occur for sometime.

On 2010-09-28 16:41, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Given the alcohol content, significant oxidation won't occur for sometime.

Correct!

About 7000 years by my calculation.

J

To be safe, I like using Vac-U-Vin stoppers.

Pages: 1 5 replies