Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Finished project(s)

Pages: 1 2 replies

So I've been doing a lot of little Tiki projects lately, this is the latest:

Sorry about the crappy iphone pic, but my camera isn't working for some reason. This mask is going to be about 13"x10" wide. Right now it's just woodburned as guidelines. I'll be dremelling(sp?) out the areas that are colored in with pencil so that they're deeper than the rest and the one's with x's will be completely carved out. I'm hoping to have this done this weekend. It's the biggest carving project I've done to date. Hopefully it will turn out ok, but so far I like it. I kind of combined the look of Barney West and the Trader Vic's logo. Please let me know what you think!

Oh, and I'll try to consolidate all my little projects into this thread so I don't junk up the forum.

[ Edited by: pennjones 2010-10-14 18:27 ]

So I finished up the mask, but I don't really like how it's turned out. I had a hard time carving this with the pine being harder with the grain than at the other spots. I think it turned out really rough, but it was a first time effort and I will probably try again with another type of wood, probably cedar.

On a brighter note, I also made this Moai type guy, which I like a lot! Just cut it out with the jigsaw, wood burned the lines, and sanded the edges round.

Please let me know what you think!

I like your nice and simple Moai, and the other piece is representative of
my luck with pine boards. I think the only guy who can carve that stuff is
Lakesurfer :)

Pages: 1 2 replies