Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sydney's Tiki Birthday Spectacular

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

Just wanted to get this out early so that those that are interested in attending can mark the date on their calendars. It's gonna be good!

Saturday, August 16, 2003 at 4:00 pm

Come help us celebrate the 1 year birthday of my daughter Sydney! We are having a full-blown Polynesian Birthday Luau including island crafts tables, lei making, Hawaiian Shave Ice and a full Island buffet including a roasted pig!

Booked and scheduled to perform ~ a live Polynesian Floor Show plus performances by Tiki Central's Smoking Menehune's, Iuka Grogg of the Mai Kai Gents and the one and only King Kukulele. Tropical themed decor and grounds with full service Tiki bar provided by Chiki Tiki Diablo. Tropical Drinks and commemorative drinks menu provided by Master Mixologist Al Knepper of the Fabulous Lagoon Room with special, custom made party favors by Tiki Farm.

This will be a full-blown Childrens party by Tiki Central Special Agent PolynesianPop (Syndey's proud Daddy) ~ Come help us make this a special day for my little girl! All TC tribe members and their kids are invited. For more information, directions and RSVP please email me at [email protected] -- See you there!

Party Location:
XXXXX

From Los Angeles:
XXXXX

From Long Beach/South Bay:
XXXXX

From Orange County/San Diego:
XXXXX

From Inland Empire:
XXXXX

See below for lodging info for those coming in from outside the LA/San Gabriel Valley area. All locations are within approximately 5 miles of the event.

Budget Hotels --

Whittier Hilton - 7320 Greenleaf Ave, Whittier, CA
Vagabond Inn - 14125 Whittier Blvd, Whittier, CA
Ramada Inn - 11530 Whittier Blvd, Whittier, CA

Hoity Toity Hotels --

Pacific Palms Resort - 1 Industry Hills Pkwy, Industry, CA
Couryard by Marriott - 1905 S Azusa Ave, Hacienda Heights, CA

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-08-15 00:14 ]

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-12-10 17:59 ]

This promises to be a great tiki-family event.

Oddly enough, my daughter's birthday is the day before. And as you know, I'm a loser daddy and my daughter's birthday will be quite, ah, quaint in comparison.

So I'm gonna tell her secretly that this is really her birthday party, but we're having it at Poly Pop's place!

T

Hey, Pop, that's some crazy party for your 1 year old. My 40th is coming up in September - how about planning MY party?
:)
Seriously, we might have to road-trip it down for this...that is, if you're allowing Northern California Hoity-Toities. Is there a nice, cheap place to stay nearby?

Tiki-bot, we'd LOVE to have you guys come down for this! I've been asked about the lodging question a few times already. I'll put some information together and post it here. Stay Tuned.

Aloha Folks!

Just an update to Sydney's big shin-dig -- Stopped by Tiki Farm yesterday to pickup the custom party souvenirs and they look incredible! Met with Al at the Lagoon Room last night to go over final details on the custom drink menu -- believe me, you won't be disappointed.

I updated the original post at the top of the page with the location/address/map of the party and driving directions. Note to out-of-towners: The party is about 6 miles from Oceanic Arts. Could be a fun opportunity to come out a little early to check them out (OA's Saturday hours are 10am-1pm) before the party starts. OA is located at 12414 Whittier Blvd, Whittier, CA 90602. For driving directions from Oceanic Arts to Sydney's Tiki Birthday Spectacular, Click Here.

Musical performances will start around 4pm so don't be late if you don't want to miss them -- The Smokin' Menehunes, Iuka Grogg of the Mai Kai Gents and the one and only King Kukulele.

Thanks for keeping those RSVP's coming!

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-12-10 18:01 ]

Poly-pop, please adopt me!

Can't make it to the party, but sounds incredible, and you've still got fifteen more years to improve before Sydney's sweet sixteen party though I can't imagine how you could top this.

Bong, dude you always have me in stitches.

Looks like my work schedule will preclude us from attending this wonderful blow-out as we had planned. Damn job! Oh wait, I'm employed - that's a GOOD thing!
Enjoy!

The Monkeyman Clan will be there. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the effort POP!

M

This maybe the all-time champion of the "This Party's Really for Daddy" contest!

Sounds great- sorry I can't make it. Have a great time!

Tiki-bot, Suburban Hipster, Martiki, I'm sorry you can't make to my, err -- Sydney's party. Hopefully we can catch up at another event soon.

On another note, I've secured the services of Creative Digital Video to record the event. I'll put a link to a clip (if possible) on this thread after its complete of the performances so you can all check it out.

Since we are possibly crossing over to the high-tech mode of partying with digital video clips, remember Yahoo! has a "Start My Webcam" button on it's messaging system. If you've got a webcam to hookup, PolyPop, then out of town TC'ers can sign on to Yahoo and watch us partying LIVE!

I've got a webcam on computer hooked up through Yahoo, and it's easy!

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

M

SCD and POP,

I don't think that I will be streaming video during the party but when I am finished shooting and editing the video I will create a couple versions. One for high quality tape or dvd distribution and another short/low res version for web viewing. It is easy to save it as a small format mpg file and burn it on to cd so anyone with a computer can view it.

Looking forward to making all of you famous.

If anyone has creative ideas on the format of the video let me know.

Monkeyman
aka-Creative Digitial Video

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2003 4:21 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sydney!
ALOHA PP! if i was there i'de go.

Thanks Gecko -- wish you could make it too.

The party plans are coming together nicely. Big Al of the Fabulous Lagoon Room will be debuting a line of signature non-alcoholic drinks for the kiddies and as such, we will be running TWO bars.

Check the first post in this thread for current updates. If anyone is interested in meeting up early, maybe we can put a group together to tour Oceanic Arts before the party starts. If interested, please post to this thread! Again, OA is only about 5-6 miles from the party.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-08-07 08:01 ]

M

I will be there early and would be up to do OA.

There's a place called Oceanic Arts? Ha, just kidding, I'm in.

LL

We were going to leave LA Saturday morning but it looks like we must hang around to see this party! Both Mr. and Mrs. Larry Lava will be there and we would also like to join an Oceanic Arts group earlier if that happens.

T

Pop and others,

Boy, this sounds like a swell gig! Sorry I can't attend but I will be there in spirit.

This east coast centeralite is jealous of all the So Cal activity!

TB

Doin' the bump!

Sydney's big birthday bash is less than 1 week away. Just a reminder to all that expressed interest in an Oceanic Arts pre-party gathering. What time do you all wanna meet? We can meet there if its easiest for everyone. OA opens at 10am and is open until 1pm.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2003-08-11 17:44 ]

Bring rope and duct tape cause I'm gonna kidnap Susan at OA and make her go!

M

Add one more to the list. I'll be there but Mrs. ModMana has other obligations that day. Hmmm, I can't imagine anything that could be more important than a tiki party... I'm hitchin' a ride on the Monkeyfamily wagon. Hopefully I'll be at Oceanic Arts as well.

ModMana :drink:

M

Oops, double post...(edited out)

[ Edited by: ModMana on 2003-08-12 11:38 ]

On 2003-08-11 16:21, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Bring rope and duct tape cause I'm gonna kidnap Susan at OA and make her go!

I was at OA last week with Chiki Tiki and mentioned the party to Bob, Leroy and Susan. Hopefully, they'll stop by and make an appearance.

Hey Pop, I have a Marquesan all done, but Oh sh*t, TikiDiggler found a new home. I wasn't ready to let him go just yet. Was actually trying to have him up on my elusive site. Now I got to carve away.

It would be so great if the OA crew would actually show up at one of our parties. Maybe one day...

Maybe our group can influence them while we're there!

Pop, I have some rather silly questions.
Is this party primarily a kids' party?
Are adults welcome?
How about adults who act like kids?
Are childless adults welcome?
Or do you have to borrow a kid to go?

Or is this the sort of occasion that is totally inappropriate for alcohol swiggin' adults to be walking around in a drunken stupor, tripping and stumbling all over the poor kiddies?

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl on 2003-08-13 19:05 ]

Is this party primarily a kids' party? Yes
Are adults welcome? Yes
How about adults who act like kids? Yes
Are childless adults welcome? Yes
Or do you have to borrow a kid to go? No

Or is this the sort of occasion that is totally inappropriate for alcohol swiggin' adults to be walking around in a drunken stupor, tripping and stumbling all over the poor kiddies? Uhhh...don't know. We'll see what Al's drinks do to everybody.

Everyone is invited w/ child or not. There will be 2 bars - one for the adults run by Al of the Lagoon Room and one for the kiddies and of course lots of food. There will be lots of fun activities (for the kids) and great entertainment (for the adults) but I'm sure those will alternate with each group -- in other words, don't be surprised seeing Tina make one of her signature FO crafted items!

Come on out. All are welcome!

Pop, what's a FO?

Pop, all my questions for naught...appears I can't make it after all, but I know everyone will have a great time and more happy birthday wishes to your little one.

Cheeky thanks for the nice wishes. Maybe next time - I have 2 kids... :)

BTW Chiki - "FO" is the abbreviation to the special words that Floratina painted on her first ceramic Tiki mask she did at Doc Z's party. It's French for "I Love You." Didn't you see it?

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-08-14 14:30 ]

thechikitiki wrote:
Pop, what's a FO?

Chiki~

He's referring to the painting of the tiki plaster heads at Doctor Z's party. Floratina simply painted hers vertically along the face of the white plaster tiki to look like petroglyphs but when you turned the tiki to the side, you could see that she actually painted "F*CK OFF" on it! Maybe she'll post a picture of it.

I took no pictures of the punk tiki. I should have captured it for Ben because he would appreciate that, being an art school guy and all. Dr. Z says he is going to put it on Ebay.

Pop, looks like my gal Naomi's weekend trip is cancelled because she has to man her store :(
...but that means that me and my son (and maybe his pal) will be able to attend! :)

What is planned between O.A. (1:00 pm) and your pardy (3:00 pm)...?

Maybe I'll go and see a movie with the boys, it'll be airconditioned!

BigBro, I'm glad you can make it! We don't have any plans between OA and the party -- you'll have time to take the guys to a movie. It might probably be better to show up around 4pm anyways since it probably won't start cooling off until then!

On 2003-08-13 19:04, CheekyGirl wrote:
Or is this the sort of occasion that is totally inappropriate for alcohol swiggin' adults to be walking around in a drunken stupor, tripping and stumbling all over the poor kiddies?
[ Edited by: CheekyGirl on 2003-08-13 19:05 ]

When I was a kid growing up in La Habra we had a pool in the backyard and a tiki bar/tiki patio room and my parents would throw these parties it seemed like every weekend or maybe it was just once a month - I was maybe 7 to 9 years old - I'm sure there was tons of booze flowing and people getting drunk because there is this one story they like to tell about the woman who went into the bathroom pulled down her bathing suit, sat on the toilet and then passed out and her husband had to come in and put her back together - or there was the time that my dad jumped up and down on the diving board and he and the board ended up in the pool - I just thought it was funny and didn't know what being "drunk" was - so unless things have changed since then they'll probably just think the adults are being funny or silly. But of course all us hoity toitys will conduct ourselves with the utmost of decorum.

As long as I don't get sick from drinking too much, my kids think that buzzed adults are funny(they don't know why we are acting the way we are).

I am a happy drunk so it usually means that daddy is acting extra silly/playful/crazy etc.

M

PolyPop,

I have family visiting this weekend so I will be busy playing host/tour guide/cruise director.

A big ALOHA to you and your family.

MT, thanks braddah. But if you change your mind, please stop by. You can bring your family if you wish.

Okay, is there a set time for meeting at OA today? I'll be there, if I only knew when.... :)

:tiki:

its 11:20 and I'm heading to OA...!
:tiki:

[ Edited by: traderpup on 2003-08-16 14:16 ]

Just got home a little while ago. It was good to see everyone again. Pop went out of control on the decor for the party and turned the huge backyard into a tiki paradise complete with bars and tikis from Chiki and mixology from Al.

Entertainment was provided by Bong's and my band, the Smoking Menehunes, King Kukulele, and Ikua Grog. Unfortunately, the King chipped a tooth on my chrome mic. You gotta watch that, it'll get you. Great show though.

To top it off, I had heard that Pop had a mug made especially for the event. He actually didn't have one mug made, he had four different styles made and passed them out to the guests for attending. As if seeing the Smoking Menehunes playing wasn't enough?! Pop really knows how to throw a party. Thanks for inviting me and having our band play. Hopefully some pictures will turn up.

Adrian, thank you for the great backyard Luau! What a nice family you have. I don't think I saw one person not clad in Aloha gear. Especially the Keikis, down to the little babys, wearing Tiki shirts.

They were King Kuku's fan club, hanging on his mike, but leaving him unperturbed as always. Loved the Santo & Johnny song Bong did. And the fierce Maori warrior dancer that made little Sidny cry (not for long). And meeting new TCers from out of town.

Thanks Pop for a lovely afternoon/evening.

That was a terrific party, Pop! Beautiful surroundings, a great family that made me feel right at home, yummy food, Menehunes, Grogg, Kuke, cute baby and a custom tiki mug to mark the occasion! I love the mug and appreciate that it is appropriately pink, but it is also a lovely subtle shade of natural endorsed by Lissette and the mens won't be scared of it, either.

We even had a pair of new TCers from France! Vincent and Kate found us on line and since they were in town, showed up at the party. They are very cool and hope they start posting.

Thanks to all of you for putting on a mighty entertaining shindig. I brought only the phonecam and have a few pics that I will post shortly (I hope shortly). There were others documenting the happenings and I look forward to seeing their pics.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-08-17 12:35 ]

Here is the nuclear Pop family now:

SCD taking pictures:

Monkeyman and the lovely Mrs. Monkeyman dance:

The Smokin' Menehunes:

King and his fans:

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-08-17 13:18 ]

I was over in Catalina over the weekend and read in the local newspaper that Sven A. Kirsten Famed author of the Book Of Tiki was going to be at the Tiki Fest 03(and a few other no-namers too). Talk about a "Ghost Writer!!" Har! Har! Har! Congrats on your 1 year Syd!!! (substitute the Y for an I and drive your parents crazy!!!)

What a great time Sydney's party was! Thanks to all those who came out and helped us celebrate this special day with me, my family and of course, birthday girl Sydney! I didn't get very many pics but here's what I have. Hopefully, a few others will post theirs too.

Mmmmmm....roasted pig!

Island Buffet...

Tiki Central hanging out at the bar.

Hula dancers entertain the crowd.

King Kukulele and Iuka Grogg play "Hukilau" while the female guests get a luau dance lesson.

The Smokin' Menehunes tearing up the stage!

King Kukulele and Iuka Grogg sing Happy Birthday to Sydney.

Time for cake!

Special thanks to Al & Shelley for helping out with the bar & decor, Bong/Spike/Shirley & Mick for the great music, Iuka Grogg & King Kuku for the entertainment, SugarCaddyDaddy/SugarMama & Sugargal Olivia for the incredible cake, Chiki Tiki for the decor & incredible carvings, The Monkeyman Clan & ModMana for capturing the event on video and pre-party preparations help in hot midday sun, and Holden at Tiki Farm for custom tiki mugs and tiki pendants. And of course to all my family who helped make this party happen.

And THANK YOU all for attending and making Sydney's party a success. THANK YOU for the wonderful gifts and THANK YOU for sharing the Aloha spirit with our family. Tiki Central truly is a group of wonderful people.

Oh, and Sven, looks like we made quite a few new converts that night. Look out for some more book sales in the next week!

Mahalo Nui Loa from the PolynesianPop Ohana!

It must be stated again what a GREAT extended family you have Poly Pop! I had the honor of video taping most of them and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Your mom, grandma, aunt, mother in law and father in law were so much fun and great hosts.

You and your wife were under pressure that day to make it all come together and it was a huge success. All of that in crazy heat (The news said Hacienda Heights was nearly 95 degrees).

My wife and kids also had a great time. The entertainment was top notch. The King is really great with kids. I see a diversification of the Kings clientele.

I mean really... what kid would not want to hear a song about fish fruit and nuts?

I have started capturing the video to my hard drive and will begin the long and creative process of editing.

Monkeyman

Pages: 1 2 49 replies