Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Meaning Good Health?

Pages: 1 6 replies

C

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to carving. My buddy (McTiki) got me into it recently and I have been really enjoying it. He helped me complete a 42" "Ku" style that I'm really proud of (I'll get some pics up soon).

Anyway, I have a couple of nice logs I want to dig into but I would like to do one for my sister who narrowly escaped death recently due to a devastating illness (Lupus). I'd like to do something that has a little meaning behind it, maybe something dealing with good health or something to that effect.

I did a little googling and found some info about "Tawhaki" who was apparently a Maori god of thunder, lightning and good health (seems like an odd combo). But I cannot find any likeness of him.

If anyone can help me figure out either what Tawhaki might look like (or even just a loose resemblance and I can stylize the rest) or maybe point me to a different deity/tiki that has similar meaning I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Dan

[ Edited by: ccb_dan 2010-10-05 11:56 ]

[ Edited by: ccb_dan 2010-10-05 11:58 ]

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 3:00 PM

Tawhirimatea is the god of storms - I'm not sure where the other name you found came from but it's not one I'm familiar with, and it also seems incongruous that he would be associated with healing.
Rongo is the god most associated with healing in Maori culture, being the traditional god of crops and food, and the name has been adopted for Maori healing practice & medicine in modern times. I have seen some carved images of this god in museums but some are not very distinctive in detail as they were usually made from softer porous volcanic stone. These are often called "Kumara Gods" as they were placed in the gardens to ensure a successful crop. The Hawaiian counterpart to Rongo is Lono.

C

Thank you very much!

I just got a tiki tattoo and asked the artist for the Hawaiian symbols of healing. He said sea turtles and the kava leaf. So, I incorporated the Hawaiian petrolyph for sea turtle into my tat.

K
Kino posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 9:31 PM

This might be of some help

http://www.mythichawaii.com/tiki-gods.htm

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 3:56 AM

Welcome to TC Dan!

Z

Aloha, Dan! And all the best to your sis.
~Zero

Pages: 1 6 replies