Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

ufos

Pages: 1 1 replies

TM

Little Lost Tiki complains that none of my posts are worthwhile.

So here is one that should please him (or not...either way I could really give two shits)

“Why UFOs probably don’t exist, or have not visited earth”, by Lucas Vigor

A common argument that creationists and others of their ilk make, is that we are the only life in the universe. That we are somehow special and unique.

I agree and disagree, but not for the reasons THEY use.

Looking at the night sky, and seeing all those stars (and even other galaxies if you have a good telescope) makes a person wonder why all that empty space exists. And with so many stars out there, there HAS to be life out there, or so logic dictates.

I do agree, but what I think is unique is how rare intelligent life might turn out to be.

There are many factors that must be considered, but the top two are “Impact Events” and “faster-then-light travel”.

Impact Events are some large object crashing down on a planet and causing mass extinctions. Turns out, this happens a lot more then people ever thought.

250 million years ago, something happened called the “Permian-Triassic event”, which killed of 90% of all species.

Then there was the “K-T” event, which occurred 65 million years ago and killed of the dinosaurs.

Recently, a new impact crater was discovered in the Indian ocean, which as the theory goes, was created by an impact event around 3000 BC. This was a strong one, causing Tsunamis 500 feet high that probably hit most coastlines. Many cultures have flood myths that originate from roughly that time period. Interesting!

The point is that Impact Events are quite common. Jupiter took a hit recently, which was discovered by amateur astronomers…and it showed an earth sized hole in the planet’s atmosphere.

So, life gets wiped out, some species do survive, and then they evolve all over again. This is an endless cycle.

There is other intelligent life already on this planet: Dolphins, primates, etc..but evolutionary needs have not caused them to develop those traits that make them able to control their environments the way we do.

For humans to survive and progress, the developing the means to head off an impact event or to safely flee one (by space travel) is of the utmost importance. If not, we die. It’s just that simple.

And the scary thing is, scientists have no way to determine if or when the next one is coming. So far, they have only catalogued and tracked a small percentage of near-earth objects. But if something big is out there that we don’t know about, it could hit at any time, and we may have little or no warning.

Just to put things in perspective, the last small one that hit us was in Siberia in 1908, and the results were devastating! 80 MILLION Trees knocked down for 830 square miles. Had that been in a populated city, it would have been destroyed just like if an atomic bomb had hit!

Then, there is the issue of “faster-then-light” travel. Since our radio transmissions did not begin until around the turn of the last century, that means that eavesdropping intelligent races out there must inhabit a planet no more then roughly 100 light years away. (TV broadcasts came much later)

Then, they have to have the means to get here. If they are just now receiving our broadcasts, then sending any sort of reply will also take an equal amount of time to get to us. That means within 100 years we might be getting a response.

So, in a nutshell, any solar system out there must have a planet that is in the “just right” zone, meaning, neither too hot nor too cold. Then, life must have evolved. Next, Intelligent life has to have evolved in the time between impact events (like it did here). Next, that civilization must be intelligent enough to invent some sort of protection against the impact events. The Civilization must also have evolved to the level that interstellar space travel is possible, and possible within a normal lifespan.

If all those things come together, then they still have to find us among the trillions and trillions of other galaxies that are out there.

I am 100% sure there is life on other planets, and probably a LOT of it. But there are probably not a lot of places where life has evolved and satisfied all the requirements needed to not only survive extinction but move from star to star.

All this is why I do not believe we have been visited by UFOs from another planet.

HJ

Now, THAT set a new standard for a Bilge thread! Woo hoo! You go!

Check out a recent Scientific American mag dedicated almost wholly to "The End."

Pages: 1 1 replies