Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread

Pages: 1 14 replies

W

*Created in a moment of passion it lives an undead life of terror!

It is...*

The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread!!!

Crafted out of cold critical evaluation with genuine thought and fervor The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread became a thing unto itself, something which so terrified its creator in its open mockery of his original intent that he ripped its very heart out! Yet somehow in some way the The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread lumbers along like a zombie from the crypt!!!

HOW does it call to so many to contribute to the evil force that courses through its lifeless veins?

WHAT strange hold does it have on its creator that even though he calls for its destruction he returns again and again to do its bidding?

WHO is this mysteriously exotic woman who has no relation to the thread at all?

WHY will the evil thread be posted in again...And again...And AGAIN???

Read the terror for yourself!

Try not to make a post...If you can!

See...

The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread

:::::A Forum Classics Posts release:::::

TM

Grease is the word! Grease is the time and the place and the motion!

LOCK THE THREAD, LOCK THE THREAD...

GEEZ, these calls to lock down a thread get a bit old.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32665&forum=13&start=45&hilite=i%20quit%20smoking

Why is everyone concerned? Because some of us are nice people. You get tired of people standing on soapboxes and "looking down at others"??

I was not aware that was what I was doing. I was just sharing a personal success story. Hopefully it inspires some other people.

This thread was not started by me to engage in political discussion, either covertly or overtly. I can see some of you are veering in that direction, especially leleliz with your codeword of "government has already stepped in", which pretty much identifies your political leanings. Frankly, I would rather not know. Use another thread as your soapbox to push your anti-government agenda, please.

If anyone wants to know how I am doing with my smoking cessation, please PM me. Likewise, if anyone wants to try to quit and needs a anti-smoking buddy, please contact me.

I am done with this thread, and since some of you are pushing it into the political realm too far, I suggest that this thread be locked, and I am sorry I started it. Pushing some stupid political agenda was NOT what I started this thread for!!!! I had no ulterior motives, just sharing a personal story, that's it.

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2009-06-14 14:27 ]

I suggest that this thread be locked,
[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2009-06-14 14:27 ]

W

Uhm...What the hell?

TM

Telescopes was simply copying one of my old posts...for what purpose I don't know....

And for the record, it will be two years in March since I have quit cigarettes...COLD TURKEY, and with never cheating even ONCE.

TM

And for the life of me, I would have NEVER expected such hostility towards my anti-hippie posts on a forum that SUPPOSEDLY "celebrates classic and modern polysian pop".

Touched a real nerve with some of you people, huh?

On 2010-10-10 07:37, lucas vigor wrote:
Telescopes was simply copying one of my old posts...for what purpose I don't know....

And for the record, it will be two years in March since I have quit cigarettes...COLD TURKEY, and with never cheating even ONCE.

My only purpose is to point out that their is no virtue to be found in being "tiki". Having traveled to Polynesia many times, the only virtues I have found are those reflected in the creamy beautiful skin of its women. Aside from that, the "primitive" part of the culture, the aspect celebrated by American style tiki, is certainly more a vice than a virtue.

For example, going to the Ti is always something I look forward to. One simply can't deny the quality of the drinks. However, in lighting up one of Michael's cigars inside a Southern California bar, I found the experience of the primitive granting me a deeper appreciation of tiki. The total experience of savoring the drink, smoking a cigar, and looking into the eyes of a beautiful woman who is setting on your lap, punctuates the music and heightens the mood. To me, this is tiki.

Most likely, it means an early death from either a bad liver, cancer, or worse. But maybe not. Maybe it means a longer life because I am happier and less stressed.

As far as the Beatles go, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It does seem like for some people dismissing the Beatles out-of-hand is a kin to celebrating not smoking and expecting others to follow suit. Both seem a bit suspect in that it comes across like the person saying these things thinks they may have some insight into "cool" that everyone else is lacking. I think the problem is in the "tone" of the conversation. Yes, smoking is bad for your health. We all know this. Quitting smoking is great. No one denies this. But, for those who choose to smoke, the line that separates your choice to quit and your suggestion that we do likewise is can be a touchy area.

Last, deleting commentary from a thread and then calling for a thread to be locked is somewhat akin to what I have pointed out above. It is suspicious and smacks of an air of superiority.

All of that said, I really do enjoy reading your posts. Especially if it gets Woofmut into action.

TM

The reason I deleted a majority of my posts on that thread was because it was pissing people off apparently....so much so that it was (and continues to) effect the attendance at performances of bands that I was/am involved in....

And that's not fair to people I work with....so many people on this forum can't stand my posts, or disagree so much with what I say (or totally don't get the mostly humorous intent) that they stay away from a Smokin' Menehunes gigs like they might get scabies just by being in the same room with us. Only the diehards that appreciate great vintage Hawaiian music seem to ever show up...the rest, seem to flock to and be friends with more PC musicians on this forum.

Since I know for a fact the Smokin' menehunes are a cut above a lot of other stuff, I know it's not us or our music...it's ME....and hence, at the time I deleted posts out of respect to Palika Pat Enos, who relies on music for his income.

But, the question remains: Why on a forum that is supposedly about mid century poly pop, are there so many Beatles fans and hippies? You see, when I first joined this forum I figured whatever I said would be basically preaching at the choir...that a majority of the people I ran into here would have been more into the generation/culture of the movement that preceded hippie rock.....I honestly expected to get more people agreeing.....but I was wrong. I misread, misjudged the real demographic on this forum.

This reminds me of an old Cheer's episode "Knights of the Scimitar", where Cliff convinces Norm to join a lodge, saying "you will find a lot of people you will get along with"...

Well, everything goes well during the first meeting, and Norm is accepted in, even telling Cliff "you were right, these are a bunch of swell guys!"....and then they get to the agenda items...and one of them is that "as a result of the last vote, we have decided to ban beer at all further events"....Norm rips off his Turban, and decides to quit on the spot....

I was wrong about Tiki. This really is not the forum for someone like me. I am into stuff from the mid century. Not just the trappings and occasionally mug or artifact. To me, it was a style of music, appearance, fashion, art that was better then anything we had today. I wish it was still around.

I don't know how it's possible to love both the pre-60's culture, and then at the same time be so fiercly protective of the 60's culture, which killed off the previous scene completely.

It's like saying you like both the United States AND Al Queda!

The two things don't match! They are so f-ing different!

All of which leads me to believe that this is the wrong Forum for me. I don't know what the Tiki you people talk about so much even is anymore.

W

Down at Forum Classics Posts when we tossed around The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread idea there was some immediate concern that the thread would be confused with the thread that was the inspiration for it ("The horror that is the Beatles!!").

This actually wasn't so much a concern about confusing the general public because to be frank one of Forum Classics Posts specialties is cheaply and quickly produced threads which aren't actual imitations of big budget blockbuster threads but could be seen as being in the same vein as a major thread studio release or possibly regarded as an unofficial sequel to a major thread.

Most people would never actually mistake our What Did You "Make" For Breakfast?" thread for the highly popular thread What did you "Make" for dinner? But our threads generally run at old inner city or drive-in forums and are usually part of a double feature. There's an appeal to the types that frequent those establishments in threads which will have similar elements to the original or which might continue the story of a major thread.

Our concern with the title of The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread was that the makers of The horror that is the Beatles!! might slap a cease and desist on our asses and then we'd have to yank The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread. Forum Classics Posts runs on a well worn shoestring and any minor set back can make a major difference in our bottom line.

So we toyed with making The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread a more generic horror thread. We mulled over The Thread That Wouldn't Die! or The Thread That Lives Again!. But both those titles are completely generic and could be referencing any of dozens of never ending threads. (Which is not to be confused with the 1984 thread The Never Ending Thread or our own Forum Classics Posts thread made that same year The Thread That Goes On and On Forever.)

We decided to stick with the title The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread because we knew it would have a larger appeal to the thread reading public (well, our thread reading public) and because we were certain that the people who made "The horror that is the Beatles!!" couldn't sue us as our thread wouldn't be confused with their thread.

From the replies posted above it's obvious we were mistaken about the confusion part. Forum Classics Posts unofficial motto has always been "A buck is a buck." which means we don't care why someone went to one of our threads as long as the went. So to be blunt we more or less don't care that people are confusing Forum Classics Posts release The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread with "The horror that is the Beatles!!". But because we're more or less not evil we figure we should make it clear that if you want to address "The horror that is the Beatles!!" you really ought to do so in "The horror that is the Beatles!!" thread.

Also we at Forum Classics Posts are excited to announce two current projects which will be in forums this Christmas: Tiki Dinner the 3-D Experience! and Beyond the Valley of The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread.

Lucas,
It wasn't my intention to stir up the hornets nest when I bumped the thread.
I just didn't find anywhere else to post it.
I do like (actually love) the Beatles, so I guess it was a post to show that I did.
But everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours never really bothered me.

That's all..

Hey all...

Like I said, we at Forum Classics Posts don't care why you come to see one of our fine releases such as ***The Horror That Is The "The horror that is the Beatles!!" Thread!!! ***, just that you do.

But while you're here why not buy some popcorn? We get 2.5% of the profits. Sure, that's not much in the forum concession sales biz but we'll take whatever we can get.

On 2010-10-10 08:45, lucas vigor wrote:

I don't know what the Tiki you people talk about so much even is anymore.

Personally, I love the documentary, "The Horror that is Woofmut, drop me a line off list"

If I could direct, I would like to think my first venture into Bilge would be "The Tikimug Fairies versus The Smoking Menehunes":

Not to be confused with "The Tikimug Fairies versus the Smog Monster". The lost archival footage of that one is simply too Tiki for even this thread.

On a different note:

Tiki, defined as alcohol, sex, and exotica music.

Sixties, defined as drugs, sex, and rock and roll.

As Meatloaf once stated, "Two out of three ain't bad".

Pass the popcorn.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=208&forum=1&24

Here's another one of my favorites:

The Horror that is What is This!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=33022&forum=1&start=30

L

The Dream Is Over (a long time ago!!)

By the end of the summer, the Haight-Ashbury scene had deteriorated. The incessant media coverage led the Diggers to declare the "death" of the hippie with a parade. According to the late poet Susan 'Stormi' Chambless, the hippies buried an effigy of a hippie in the Panhandle to demonstrate the end of his/her reign. Haight-Ashbury could not accommodate the influx of crowds (mostly naive youngsters) with no place to live. Many took to living on the street, panhandling and drug-dealing. There were problems with malnourishment, disease, and drug addiction. Crime and violence skyrocketed. By the end of 1967, many of the hippies and musicians who initiated the Summer of Love had moved on. Misgivings about the hippie culture, particularly with regard to drug abuse and lenient morality, fueled the moral panics of the late 1960s.

...and don't forget to wear flowers in your hair! LOL! i actually remember this event... here's a burnout story for ya: my girlfriend's brother went out to the Haight... wound up panhandling... took waaayyyyy too much acid and wound up in the mental ward... his mother had to fly out from NY to go get him cause they wouldn't release him on his own... i guess he was one of the lucky ones in the long run..

[ Edited by: Lokepa 2010-10-11 09:03 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies