Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

WAITIKI 7's West Coast Debut at Don's (Dec. 29-31, 2010)

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

Updated 12/16/10:

** ** General Admission & Added VIP Seating Opened Due To Popular Demand! http://donthebeachcomber.tix.com ** **

The WAITIKI 7 and Friends Ring in the New Year with Craft Cocktails and Lush Exotica at Don The Beachcomber's

The scene feels straight out of a Martin Denny tune: Smiling hosts and hostesses graciously greet guests relaxing among pagodas, waterfalls, and walls of now extinct square bamboo. The music’s swinging, the drinks and food divine, the company warm and welcoming.

Partygoers will step into this slice of paradise for three nights (December 29-30-31, 2010). Champions of exotica WAITIKI will celebrate the year’s end at Don the Beachcomber (Huntington Beach, CA), the restaurant haven of the great mixologist Donn Beach and all things tiki. The events will honor Beach and the stunning libations he created; exotica living legend Robert Drasnin and vocalist Sherry Shaoling; and leaders of the ‘90s tiki revival Combustible Edison with live music, original cocktails, and DJ sets.

Robert Drasnin—a jazz clarinetist, exotica ghostwriter, and former Director of Music at CBS now in his 80s—will take the podium on December 30 to lead the WAITIKI 7 in a rare, live performance of his 1959 cult classic album Voodoo, a requisite for every space-age bachelor pad. WAITIKI 7 and Drasnin will be joined by vocalist Sherry Shaoling (of Honolulu’s exotica darlings Don Tiki), whose powerful voice channels forgotten exotica divas like Japanese-American Ethel Azama or Peruvian Yma Sumac. Nearby, Combustible Edison’s Brother Cleve and The Millionaire will spin everything from go-go and surf to exotica disco and big beat in their first joint DJ appearance in fifteen years.

For New Year’s Eve, the WAITIKI 7 get swanky, in a danceable homage to Combustible Edison, pioneers of the renewed interest in non-rock instrumental music from the 50s and 60s. “We were a lightning rod fans of all these vintage recordings could rally around, as we not only gave props to these styles but wrote original music in that spirit,” Brother Cleve explains. “Tiki Exotica was one aspect of what we did, and we helped revitalize it.” This lightning rod attracted big names like Quentin Tarantino, as well as legions of fans.

The evening will feature the first performance of Combustible Edison’s music since the band’s demise a decade ago, with help from Brother Cleve and The Millionaire. Midnight will transform the ballroom into a full-on tiki dance party. WAITIKI and Combustible Edison will reveal their mixologist side: Original craft cocktails by Brother Cleve, Randy Wong, and others will join Beach’s creations on the drink menu.

TICKETS AND MORE INFORMATION TO BE POSTED ASAP!

WAITIKI INTERNATIONAL LLC: Advancing Exotica & Tiki for Modern Times
www.WAITIKI.com and also visit The WAITIKI 7

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2010-10-11 12:49 ]

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2010-11-04 05:35 ]

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2010-12-16 20:37 ]

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2010-12-16 20:37 ]

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2010-12-16 20:38 ]

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2011-01-17 16:26 ]

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Oct 11, 2010 3:43 PM

Aloha Randy and Waitiki 7!

Now this is fantastic news for us So. Cal Waitiki 7 fans, and a cause for celebration. Not only are we graced with the good fortune of hosting Waitiki 7 at the end of December, we are very fortunate to have Don the Beachcomber serve as the venue for this historic event too.

I'm sure all of you have at some point or another listened to Waitiki's catalog of exotica recordings. Many of you, like myself, keep their Waitiki CDs within easy reach and always on tap...the LPs are just that good. I listen to them quite a lot myself, you bet that when I'm in the mood to paint or just be "arty" - the CD player is probably playing Waitiki to sustain this creative mood. The CDs are never thrown into my music drawer and left behind and ignored.

Its a very difficult decision to have to choose what entertainment I'll see on New Year's Eve. A nod to the other group advertising a New Year's Eve show this year but the choice for me is pretty evident. I'll be supporting the rare appearance from the out-of-towners that night.

And yeah man! Can you dig that Mr. Robert Drasnin, Sherry Shaoling and Conbustible Edison will perform as well?
All I can say is this is going to be one hell of an exotica evening(s) for us So. Cal tiki peeps. Yes life is good. I'll see you at Don the Beachcomber on December 31st. Cheers!

MT

Wow! :o This is super awesome, Randy! Hope to make this show, it will be one for the ages!!!

I know it's early with more information to come but Randy do you know if the show on the 30th will be a show only or is it dinner and a show?

On 2010-10-10 22:31, professahhummingflowah wrote:

Partygoers will step into this slice of paradise for three nights
(December 30-31, 2010).

seems somebody needs to learn better math.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-10-12 21:54 ]

On 2010-10-12 21:53, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2010-10-10 22:31, professahhummingflowah wrote:

Partygoers will step into this slice of paradise for three nights
(December 30-31, 2010).

seems somebody needs to learn better math.

Jeff(btd)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for catching my error. Actually it's not that I have poor math but that I was copying and pasting from a few different sources. Plus we have a few things in the works anyways, so it might end up being 3 nights, beginning on the 29th. Because the holidays are so busy for people we want to make sure there's enough opportunity for everyone to come down! Though the entertainment on each night will be totally different and so it's really best to come to all two/three if possible!

Hope to see you at some point. Thanks again for your message.

Randy

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-10-12 21:54 ]

On 2010-10-12 21:49, Bora Boris wrote:
I know it's early with more information to come but Randy do you know if the show on the 30th will be a show only or is it dinner and a show?

Both the 30th and 31st shows will have ticket options that include dinner, I believe. I'll post ticket info later this week hopefully!

Thanks for holding your breath for tickets. They're going on sale tomorrow... we'll post the website link as soon as it's live. In the meantime, there's some new info posted at WAITIKI.com, along with our official event artwork painted by Sam Gambino!

Also please note: THE FESTIVAL IS NOW 3 NIGHTS LONG!
Starting with a Quartet show on Dec. 29...

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 10:57 AM

Ironic you posted Randy at the same time I'm typing this -

• I just looked at the DTB website calendar for December. That still needs to be updated.

Looking forward to the 30th w/ Drasnin. Pretty big deal around here I'd say. G

On 2010-11-03 10:57, TikiG wrote:
Ironic you posted Randy at the same time I'm typing this -

• I just looked at the DTB website calendar for December. That still needs to be updated.

Looking forward to the 30th w/ Drasnin. Pretty big deal around here I'd say. G

Yes, we're jointly launching a separate website for the DON THE BEACHCOMBER PRESENTS WAITIKI series. They'll be adding info to their regular website also.

Thanks Greg!

R

O
Otto posted on Fri, Nov 5, 2010 9:40 AM

Randy and Tim

Kudos to you for preparing this historic Exotica music event. The impact of this cannot be over estimated!

First off I want to make sure everyone is aware how incredibly awesome and valuable Robert Drasnin is to the current Exotica scene. His orig Voodoo lp has been cited by many musicians as one of their favorite Exotica releases. People like DJ Bonebrake and Les Baxter historian Skip Heller, no less. If that is not enough to hang your hat on, dig the fact that he came back during the current Tiki revival and released Voodoo 2 with all new orig compositions in the same style. The only orig Exotica artist to do so.

Bob drasnin performances of Voodoo material are extremely rare. I believe this will be the first ever, indoor performance of Voodoo material in So Cal?

Add to that the resurfacing of Combustible Edison core members playing a set of CE music for the first time in over 10 years.

You mentioned Qeuntin Tarantino as a fan of theirs. I want to add Matt Groening, Mark Mothersbaugh, and "Space Age Bachelor Pad" founder Byron Werner to that list. All of whom I met at a CE gig in 1996 in LA.

And of course, a rare west coast appearance from the great WAITIKI with vocalist AND cover model Sherry Shoaling!!

Baby Doe and I will be there and we'll bring our LA friends!!

Aloha Otto!

Thank you for the swell endorsement of our event ... and I had no idea that Matt Groening, etc. are also fans of Combustible Edison. I spoke earlier this week with The Mayor of Exotica and he said the charts for the WAITIKI 7 - Combustible Edison set are going to kill!

Yes I believe you're right, this will be the first West Coast indoor performance of Voodoo material—and certainly the premiere of our arrangements of Bob's music. We're very excited and honored to be having both Bob and Sherry performing with us for Dec. 30.

None of this would be possible without the support, dedication, and hardwork of the DTB team. We're so lucky to be working with them ... when the ticket website launches today/tomorrow, you will see what I mean!

Randy

well..........
Robert Drasnin has played here in So. Cal. before.
sadly there was only about 15 people there.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23537&forum=17

I hope that there will be a standing room only tickets available for the Robert Drasnin with Waitiki show.
As I can't afford a high dollar dinner and show ticket.

Jeff(btd)

**TICKETS ARE NOW FOR SALE ONLINE!! **

40 bucks for SRO tix???
Wow!!!
just plain Wow!!!
:o

Jeff(btd)

Great website that Dons put together for this event!
I'm hoping to catch at least one of the shows!

M

Sounds ZAZZ!

Russell S. Monkey has been practicing the vibes in anticipation!

On 2010-11-08 19:46, mrsmiley wrote:
Sounds ZAZZ!

And so that means Mr. Russell will be attending the event with his proud Smiley parents, right???

On 2010-11-09 21:08, professahhummingflowah wrote:

On 2010-11-08 19:46, mrsmiley wrote:
Sounds ZAZZ!

And so that means Mr. Russell will be attending the event with his proud Smiley parents, right???

We are hoping to!

I sure hope so! We're saving a guest spot for Mr. Russell in the last set! Plus, I hear he has been working on hiz turntable skilz.

Can't wait to see everybody for NYE (even Bargoyle).

M

Any vending during any of these nights?

M

We are in!

Hey Mr. Smiley!

Great to hear that you guys will be coming to the show!!!

See you soon!!!

Randy & the WAITIKI gang

M

This set of shows are not to be missed! How often do Waitiki hit LA ? Never??!?!!? Yup... Plus Russel S. monkey will be jamming with the band! zazz zazz ZAZZ!

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2010-12-05 23:37 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Dec 2, 2010 8:23 AM

Waitiki playing in Orange County is an event not to be missed, cause like mrsmiley says, how often do they play LA - like never!! HELLO!!

See you guys on the 30th!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-12-02 08:27 ]

O
Otto posted on Tue, Dec 7, 2010 12:00 AM

Got tix for NYE and the night before with Drasnin, Combustible Edison the next night, Shag and Glendele will be with us NYE.

Can't wait to see WAITIKI playing completely different sets each night - no repeat tunes!

and guest vocalist Sherry Shaoling!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waitiki/2087937673/

WooHoo!!! Soccertiki and I are excited that Waitiki will be playing their 1st West Coast Show less than 5 miles away from The SoccerTiki Grotto. What a
Tiki-rrific Way to Ring in The New Year :)

On 2010-12-07 00:00, Otto wrote:
Got tix for NYE and the night before with Drasnin, Combustible Edison the next night, Shag and Glendele will be with us NYE.

Can't wait to see WAITIKI playing completely different sets each night - no repeat tunes!

and guest vocalist Sherry Shaoling!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waitiki/2087937673/

OH YEAH!!! The last time Sherry did anything tiki in California was when the WAITIKI Quartet debut'd at Tiki Oasis. (Man was that fly!)

Totally want to stress that every night is completely different entertainment, from the music to the script and down to the attire. 4 hours of music each night... and not a repeated tune. Everything exotica, much of it sourced from the '60s era recordings you know and love...

Here's a sampling of the albums we're sourcing our material from!

On 2010-12-07 07:42, WooHooWahine wrote:
WooHoo!!! Soccertiki and I are excited that Waitiki will be playing their 1st West Coast Show less than 5 miles away from The SoccerTiki Grotto. What a
Tiki-rrific Way to Ring in The New Year :)

Fantastitikiriffic! See you in a few weeks!!!!

R

FOM Force 5+2 will be sitting down front for the NYE show, can't wait!

On 2010-12-07 09:23, rugbymatt wrote:
FOM Force 5+2 will be sitting down front for the NYE show, can't wait!

It's about time you started heading down south!!! The show's gonna be good!

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-12 22:58 ]

Gee, I wish I could go. I've seen the Waitiki 7 and it is not to be missed.

Just wanted to let everyone know that General Admission tickets are about to go on sale for all 3 nights!!! And I believe some additional VIP seating has been added, so if that's what you've been jonesing for, head on down to:

http://DonTheBeachcomberPresentsWAITIKI.comITIKI.com**

O
Otto posted on Mon, Dec 20, 2010 12:33 AM

Haven't seen much of a roll call here? I believe Sven and Naomi will be there. Bong/Kevin Bullat of Smokin Menehunes will be there. Anyone else?

I'm pretty sure that Dinah DeRosa and I will be attending on the second night!

+2 gonna hele to the mele on NYE.

O
Otto posted on Wed, Dec 22, 2010 11:08 PM

On 2010-12-20 01:31, Luckydesigns wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Dinah DeRosa and I will be attending on the second night!

Oh yeah, saw her in a great video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y9zQ_40oxU

Who's staying in the 777 hotel?

If anyone is going and wants to take advantage of my special cash only, no shipping specials, I can bring these along for you! Let me know asap so I can pack them.
I can also bring any of my listings on eBay to Dons for NO freight charge!

Tiki mug SALE FROM THE CLOSED LAS VEGAS TRADER VIC'S;
4 TALL PLASTIC SLOGAN CUPS $12 SET
TALL FOGCUTTER MUGS $10 EA.
white scorpion bowl (kneeling Hula) $15 EA.
charger plATES (USED) $10 EA.
SALT SHAKER-LAST ONE $4 .
YELLOW MENEHUNE BOWL $15 EA.
MENEHUNE swizzle doll $2 EA.
WOODEN MENU COVER SET -3 PIECES $15 SET
HONI HONI NATIVE CUPS $12 EA.
4 PLASTIC PILSNER POOL CUPS $12 SET
....next items were not from trader vics....
COCONUT CUPS $4 EA.
VINT. TRADER DICKS MUG $7 EA.

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2010-12-25 23:00 ]

Thanks, Otto! And we can't wait for Thurs!

On 2010-12-25 01:14, professahhummingflowah wrote:
Who's staying in the 777 hotel?

I think Russell got the penthouse at the 777, which is why we are staying somewhere else.

Thursday and Friday here we come!

Did anybody go last night (Wednesday)? Any photos. Anything to report to us who will be going tonight (Thurday)?

DZ

On 2010-12-30 09:39, RevBambooBen wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/29/los-angeles-events-depres_n_802357.html#s216568&title=Film%3A%20Laura%20%281944%29%20and%20Rebecca%20%281940%29

Huffington Post article says tix are $30.00, website says $40.00.

Cheaper at the door, hopefully?

Some great sounds on Thursday night. Like classic Martin Denny with some John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk sprinkled on top.

If you are going on New Years Eve, you are in for a real treat.

Pages: 1 2 81 replies