Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Ti 50th Anniversary Mug

Pages: 1 2 92 replies

Here's the first preview of our forthcoming official Tiki Ti 50th Anniversary Tiki mug.

I'll let our friend Sven take it from here but will gladly chime in along the way, but probably not able to log into TC again until after our upcoming show this weekend.

Sculpture meets mug... in a big way with this one. This should be a cool finished piece.

Putting that way up there on my wish list. When will it go on the market?

It looks fantastic! Can't wait!!!

Bravo! What a great design!

S

That's pretty damn cool.

I'm loving all these mug previews!

LT

Excellent!!! I look forward to getting my hands on one (or two)!

T

Just like the pictured artwork :)

Which artwork? Hmmm... Here is the story of the genesis of this mug:

I really felt strongly about wanting to be the one who would design the mug for the momentous occasion of the Tiki Ti's 50th anniversary, since the Tiki Ti had so much to do with my (and Jeff Berry's) genesis of becoming Tikiphiles. I wanted it to be not just another Tiki mug, and I wanted it to be linked the the Ti's original logo Tiki.

Now if the Tiki Ti ever had a logo Tiki, it would be this one:

Now this design was a little too minimalistic to make a mug out of, so I went back to the original art work that Ray, in the spirit of the transmission tradition, had based this design on:

The only three years earlier Kon Tiki Montreal menu Tiki from 1958.

I had always liked that "God of the Cocktail" concept, which was only used here and by the Kalua Room in Seattle:

Since I am not a trained artist, I enlisted the help of Mark Noland to do a computer rendering based on the menu Tiki:

In this rendering, the color scheme of the finished mug becomes clear: The brown Tiki will be holding a yellow bamboo mug!

Mark's renderings greatly helped me and Holden to zero in on the final design. With the one above it became clear that the space between the Tiki and the bamboo mug would not work. What if the Tiki would not just hold, but actually sip on the drink himself? Done!
I am looking forward to seeing the Tiki Ti customers sitting in a row on their bar stools, with these mugs sitting on the bar, and the imbibers sharing their concoctions with the Tiki on the other side of the mug facing them! :)

Luckily I also was able to twist Kevin Kidney's arm away from his super busy schedule and have him render the original Asian font on the bamboo mug! Mucho Mahalos, Mark and Kevin!

Next: The history of the weird nose, and how some mistakes are better not fixed.

The ULTIMATE tiki mug for the ULTIMATE tiki bar

P

did kevin do the sculpture? it's great.

"Yahtzee!"

Sign me up right now. Mahalo to Sven and Holden and big mahalos to Mike, Ray, and Ray Sr. for giving us this wonderful tiki temple.

R

ooooooohhhh-- nice work sven/holden.. this one is going on the top shelf..

Another home run from Sven Kirsten and Associates.
Look forward to seeing this puppy all glazed up!

Another great mug from the Sven and Holden. Is Beachbum Berry going to create a special recipe for this one too?? That would be over the top.

What a month for mugs, the BOT 10th, the Tiki Ti 50th, the Tonga Hut mug AND the Tiki Farm show at Le Luz De Jesus this weekend.

DC

M

On 2010-10-11 22:40, MakeDaMug wrote:

WOW... I love the design... Can someone explain the different color in the words? is it a different type of clay that was put on later?

L

I prefer vintage to newly designed mugs but I will have to get one of these. Love how the sculpt has a really vintage look and the fact that its based on vintage imagery makes me love it even more.

Great design Holden--can't wait to add one to my collection :)

The tiki drinking is the only way to go.
The mug looks great!

On 2010-10-12 17:48, Dustycajun wrote:
Is Beachbum Berry going to create a special recipe for this one too?? That would be over the top.

[wishfulthinking]Even better would be the recipe for a Ray's Mistake![/wishfulthinking]

C

That mug is great!!

I am going to have to get my mitts on one as this was the place that spawned my conversion to Tiki.

P

WOW... I love the design... Can someone explain the different color in the words? is it a different type of clay that was put on later?

more than likely it's clay on wax.

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS!

C

I had a Ray's Mistake last night. The only thing that could have made it taste any better would have been sipping it from that mug!!

Will this be ready in time for the art show they are planning on having
early next year to celebrate #50?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33999&forum=17

Hope so...

On 2010-10-20 13:59, Iokona Ki'i wrote:

Hope so...

Is there a date for that art show? Early 2011 is kinda fast approaching.

Super Cool, we want one, Wendy and Dan

On 2010-10-20 19:43, MakeDaMug wrote:

On 2010-10-20 13:59, Iokona Ki'i wrote:

Hope so...

Is there a date for that art show? Early 2011 is kinda fast approaching.

This show is not certain, Mike has not heard any further from Miles, so there are no concrete plans for it so far.

Thanks for the update Sven. I hope this happens.

Haven't bought any new mugs in a long time but MUST get my hot little hands on this one.

Stunning!

There won't be enough of these mugs... I just know it!

T

Sharp lookin mug. Hope to get my grubby paws on one. :)

any new photos on this mug?!

No rushing, it's not gonna be out until their anniversary anyway, sometime in March 2011. Holden just wanted to announce it in conjunction with the big 10 Year Tiki Farm show.

Poly Pop already got an advanced copy-----but he dropped it and damaged it!!!! Butterfingers!

CJ

I showed up late today to see the 1st sample. Does anyone have pics? I was told they are having some issues with the glaze since it's a two piece mug.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Feb 18, 2011 2:50 PM

Coco Joe -

Mike just posted a pic on the Tiki Ti page on Facebook. I was going to copy the pic here but didn't want anybody to get upset I did that (maybe.) Check it out - he just posted it this morning. G

M
CJ

On 2011-02-18 14:50, TikiG wrote:
Coco Joe -

Mike just posted a pic on the Tiki Ti page on Facebook. I was going to copy the pic here but didn't want anybody to get upset I did that (maybe.) Check it out - he just posted it this morning. G

I can't wait. Since they are still playing with the glaze I was told that they'll have a batch for the 50 years date but it might be small which would be great for us collectors.

Arrived in their habitat yesterday:

Not available until the 27th/28th of April on site. Do not anger the gods by being impatient!

Damn! That's one of the coolest ever.

MB

Holden, that IS really cool. Rock on!

Super Cool, Wendy

Does anybody know if this is a limited run ? What is the cost ? Either way this is a great looking mug.

Spermy, no limits. There's gonna be enough for all. Tiki Ti will be selling them for 25.- bucks, 30.- WITH cocktail. Quite a deal.

On 2011-04-03 08:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
Spermy, no limits. There's gonna be enough for all. Tiki Ti will be selling them for 25.- bucks, 30.- WITH cocktail. Quite a deal.

Great News !! I consider myself a collector, but I really tapered off buying mugs. This is a "gotta have" just like the Bahooka Mug!! Great Stuff and I am glad there is unlimited run !!!

I gave it a test run last night at the Ti...

It handles really well. It is solid and quite heavy, an nice anchor to hold on to as you get more inebriated...
...and hypnotized from gazing into the idol's eyes!:

I can't wait 'til these guys are lined up along the bar, with a happy imbiber behind each. :)

Now the Tiki Ti family is on vacation for the next two weeks. Then one more week of regular business, and after that, from the 27th to the 30th, the 50th Anniversary Celebration Week will ensue. I hear mixology luminaries Jeff Berry and Martin Cate will be in attendance.

Best looking mug ever!!

Does anyone know if you have to go to tiki-ti to get one, or will there be any website you can order through?

thanks!

On 2011-04-03 11:21, sandiegodan wrote:
Best looking mug ever!!

Thank You!

Tiki Farm will have a batch in a different glaze available. The Tiki Ti will sell some of their mugs on e-bay (already pre-sold one), I have been asked to sign some. But otherwise they're just a bar, and will sell them off to their customers as time goes by.

Pages: 1 2 92 replies