Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Thoughts about shipping habits

Pages: 1 2 replies

I get about 6-10 packages per month from buying toys and other junk online, and after a while it occurred to me that the way I was doing things was both inconvenient and environmentally hostile.

It's inconvenient because, not being home to get the package, I'd have to trek out to a post office that's very off my daily route, and environmentally hostile because a post office truck was uselessly driving to my house, and then I was uselessly going to an out-of-the-way place to get my package (although I'd normally walk or use public transit to get there, so it's a little better.)

With a partner, I decided to do something about it, and we're developing a concept called Green Turtle.

If you guys have a moment, could you check out our super-secret pre-launch website at http://greenturtle.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi and tell me what you think of the concept?

Thanks!

The most effective way to negate your impact upon on the earth's delicate structures is to kill yourself.
If you have kids, you should kill them too. Why should you and your kids selfishly live at the earth's expense?

If you don't do that, then your not doing enough to fix the problems you have created.

Buzzy Out!

W

While I wouldn't take Buzzy's extreme approach to the argument I'd say your environmental concerns on the issue seem to be a bit of "greenwashing."

If you're concerned about being "environmentally hostile" then the easy solution is to just consume less "toys and other junk" or buy locally and negate the extra travel and packaging for the "junk" that's first shipped to a seller and then shipped to you.

As far as the convenience, I think most people who receive a high volume of packages but aren't always at home for them have probably come up with a workable solution such as a PO box or alternate delivery address.

The argument that your proposed service would give the user "more privacy since you don't have to give the web store your home address" seems like an attempt to create paranoia or appeal to existing fears which is a marketing strategy I always find to be particularly loathsome.

Pages: 1 2 replies