Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki bar in Newcastle, UK?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I stumbled across this Facebook page the other day for a bar called Tiki-o.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=64909056144&v=info

Image and description for posterity's sake:

Hidden in the bowels of Tokyo for hundreds of years we have stumbled across the secret kingdom of Tiki-O, a shiny new land of speciality cocktails and coconut shells located directly beneath Tokyo at 17 Westgate Road.
Tiki-O is distinctly Polynesian in style and flavour with its own unique cocktail menu unrivalled across the city and devised inhouse by our own magical Tiki-O beings. With more tropical flavours in the menu and colours on the wall than you’d find in a packet of Opal Fruits, we are open for business and bookings from Friday the 28th of November.
Tiki-O is available for private bookings 7 days and nights a week free of charge.

It looks like a bar underneath an existing bar? It's a safe bet that CheekyTiki is involved somehow. Anyone feel like giving some details?

I'm impressed by the number of new establishments opening up over there. I need to save my pennies and make my way over again.

• fm

[ Edited by: fez monkey 2010-10-18 22:25 ]

We had some involvement

It just "Friday 28th Nov" should have 2008 behind it

On 2010-10-18 22:20, fez monkey wrote:

I'm impressed by the number of new establishments opening up over there. I need to save my pennies and make my way over again.

• fm

we counted 21 Tiki (some borderline) Bars Open at the moment in the UK, another opening next week.

Thanks for the info.

2008? How is it this place isn't in Locating Tiki or on Critiki yet?
I know it's a fair distance from London, but heck!

Nice photos. (Man, I need to get back over there.)

• fm

[BTW, I'm a bit slow about updating my Facebook page, but 2 years? They should do something about that.]

Well, talk about synchronicity my husband just agreed to go up from Thirsk to Newcastle for a days shopping this Saturday coming - and I only signed up with Tiki Central today and then I find your posts - AWESOME :o)

Thanks so much for sharing guys, I was going to stop at the Mongolian Buffet down by the keyside but having seen this the agenda has changed :)

Thanks so much,

H.

tiki torches

[ Edited by: tikitorchesgal 2010-10-26 04:47 ]

Man, I had missed the reply to this post. Another one!

On 2010-10-19 09:34, cheekytiki wrote:
we counted 21 Tiki (some borderline) Bars Open at the moment in the UK, another opening next week.

You guys deserve a medal for most efficient agents of Tiki culture in foreign territories! While American entrepreneurs are tiptoeing around going true Tiki with most of the new establishments that have opened recently, fearful of the label being associated with "Kitsch" and "Retro", in G.B. they go no holds barred full Tiki Modern - WITH Tikis! Your places are the proof that contemporary design and Tiki DO mix, and can look good, and be successful.

http://www.cheekytiki.com/Interior.htm

The British Tiki New Wave is approaching the dimensions of its foreign ancestor, the Spanish Tiki craze of the 1970s. Amazing. Has ANYBODY over there noticed, and written about it? BIZARRE Magazine completely blew their chance to be the first to report on it, they didn't follow any of the leads about Mahiki/Kanaloa/ the KuKuis that I gave them. There should have been a whole side bar or article, but they didn't get it. You are unsung heroes in your own land.

Pages: 1 5 replies