Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Drummer Wanted For Houston Area Hawaiian Indie Band

Pages: 1 0 replies

Aloha Houston drummers,

I'm a steel guitarist and vocalist for The Grass Skirts. We're a Hawaiian-flavored Pop trio (steel, ukulele, bass) that has been gigging around town for the last 2-3 years. I was doubling on drums for a while, but I got pretty burned out hauling both pedal steel and drums and the setup and teardown, etc. I've since changed over to lap steel (more portable and authentic-sounding). We're looking to add a drummer to the mix, especially one with a pop/rock background.

We've been on hiatus up until commencing rehearsals a few months ago. Up until last year we were mostly oriented toward Rock and Pop covers (Hawaiian-flavored, of course) with a few originals for 2-3 hour private parties and events, but now we just want to keep it around 40-50 minutes for the occasional club set at places like Rudz, Fitz, Super Happy Fun Land, and wherever else we might be interested in playing.

The idea is to keep it fun and interesting without having to work too hard. It's also ideal for the mature drummer who already has a day job and a domesticated home life. We've been through the "let's make some money" phase and have found that, even in the best of circumstances, the money was (and still is) pretty limited. We all double on one type of percussion instrument or another. Mine is to'ere and koriro.

Please call 713-957-2281 or email me if this sounds like something you'd be interested in. I'll send you links so you can get an idea as to the "old" sound.

Fa'afetai,

Mateo

[ Edited by: Mateotiki 2010-10-21 18:26 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies