Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Favorite Classic Bar Names

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

W

This is another one of those I-tell-mine-you-tell-yours threads which came to mind when random rambling thoughts this afternoon led to contemplation of somewhat common bar names I'm fond of. Add any classics you can think of. The ones I could shake out:

Harbor Lights

The Hobnobber

The Lamp Lighter

The Beachcomber

The Amber Light

(Obviously I like the idea of a place with a light in it.)

classics:

the office

the library

the dew drop inn

the queen's head (a gay pub here in london)

the bunghole (not a gay pub not but still here in london)

My possible all-time fave is a long-gone San Francisco jazz club of the 40's:

The Dawn Club

Just has such a lovely feel to it...

But also,

The Alley Cat
Easy Street
The Lunar Station

My favorite bad bar names

The Hotsy Totsy Club

Spitzer's Walnut Room

(Spitzer's is a real bar in Sacramento I discovered a couple of years back...)

This is a real bar in N.E. Penna:
Spernoga's Hideaway.
I am dying to go there.

K

Clyde-O-Scope
owned by a guy named Clyde in North KC - now closed.

Flo's Polka-Dot Lounge
decorated with Polka-Dots - in South KC - still open.

L

My friend told me about two gay bars in N. CA
The White Swallow
The Man Hole

He's one of those who is always joking so these could be a joke. He say's they're real but they're funny names none the less.

The Drunken Mermaid Tavern, which may have once existed in Port Royal, Jamaica, or may be fiction.

Only one bar name comes to mind, a place in Bellflower called:

The Stagger Inn

Cock 'n Bull

The Kumquat Tree in Sierra Vista, AZ (I was very young when I lived there, but I think that was the name).

T

Some fun ones from Toronto

-Elvis Restaurant
-Kum Jug Yuen (sounds dirty. Actually, the joint IS pretty dirty too!)
-Butt'r. I can't walk by this place without saying 'butt'r' 'butt'r' like some crazy robot.
-The Bovine Sex Club

T

Hung Far Low - Portland, OR

The Alibi - Portland, OR, and Arcata, CA (Chris already mentioned a similar favorite - The Office)

The Recovery Room - Cotati, CA

here's one from the scenic city of the south (chattanooga, tn):

mayo's clinic

Roger's Exciting Tattle Tale Room
Culver City On Sepluveda

The Farmer's Daughter
Tap & Bottle Beer

a long gone bar in Long Beach, CA

The Frolic Room
Hollywood, CA

L
laney posted on Sat, May 17, 2003 3:07 AM

There's a bar called "The Fling" in Santa Ana or Orange CA. Great name, freaky fun, hole-in-the-wall. This is, hands down, the cheesiest bar ever! All red, nudie paintings, smoke, old waitress, cheese ball cover bands or Elvis, makeshift dancefloor with big haired ladies gettin' down! A must for people watchers, crowd ranges from 21-90.

There's a strip bar in East LA called, "The Office" I guess you're not lying to your wife if you say that you're at the office.

T

I forgot to mention a bar called "The Betty Ford Clinic" in Toronto - but Betty Ford's people told them to cease and desist, so now it's just 'Betty's'.

K

"Come Clean" was a turn of the century nightclub in New Orleans.

I like the name but, better yet, Buddy Bolden supposedly played there. I'd do anything short of sell my soul to Satan to have seen it.

Better go, I hear a funny scratching noise under the floorboards.

Well, I know cause I used to live in the area , but you have the Boom Boom Room and Woody's.......both gay bars. This isn't a bar but I've run across this motel name in two different states, "The No Tel Motel" .

thechikitiki wrote:
This isn't a bar but I've run across this motel name in two different states, "The No Tel Motel".

I bet they don't have a daily rate available...only an hourly rate.

M

I stayed at the Tiki Motel in Tucson this last winter and a half block away there was a No Tel Motel. If the Tiki Motel was sold out, I was going to stay at the No Tel because who in their right mind wouldn't want to stay at a No Tel if they had a chance!!---Mr Smiley (alias Bruce Allsleazy)

The Little Shrimp...Laguna.
Fannie Anns...Sacto.
Potlatch Tavern...Seattle.
Bong's Bar...H.B.
Zebra Lounge...Chicago.
Turks...Dana Pt.

the Pandemonium - Long Beach, CA
The Humdinger - Orange, CA
the Singing Sinners - Chula Vista, CA
Shipwreck Joey's - Wilmington, CA
the Underground - Chicago, IL

The Sweetwater -Long Beach CA

weirduncletiki - I know I've been to the Frolic Rm before. Is that on Sunset or Santa Monica...I've got a bad case of CRS (can't remember shit). All I remember is they had good drinks and jukebox.

Hello! I think the Frolic Room's on Hollywood Blvd, right by the Pantages Theatre.

--Lisa

M

The Store. (as in I'm going to)

and

The Doghouse.

-martin

Two fo my favorites: 'The Balboa Saloon' and "Class of '47". Both real divey.

and Laney knows "Sid's"
-man, I miss that place.

The Slow Bar - Nashville
Shim Sham Club - New Orleans
The Star Bar - Atlanta

There was a bar in the SF South Bay area for a long time called the Rumpus Room. I wish I had a pic of that sign. :(

L
laney posted on Mon, May 19, 2003 6:05 PM

Hey Lucky, have, you called Sid's? Too funny!

There was a Chinese place in DC called "Big Wong".

Some bar names I actually like are:
The Wreck (Ft. Lauderdale) and Davey Jones Locker (Waikiki). Both have/had windows into the hotel swimming pool.

A name I've always wondered about is:
Tom & Jerry's (Orlando)
I keep thinking I'll go in and find a mouse chasing a cat around the bar with a spritzer bottle.

MrSmiley and I were discussing the merits of liquor bars named after candy bars. We kinda figured each bar would attract a certain type of individual.

Here are some of our ideas:

Neighborhood sports bar? Baby Ruth.

The Milky Way is either a gay bar or a special non-alcoholic hangout for lactating mothers.

Another gay bar? Oh Henry of course! (but it's for older gentlemen.)

Bar for roly-poly people? Rolo's.

"Gentleman's club" with naked dancing ladies? Snickers, for sure.

Science fiction writers drink at Mars. (Or the Milky Way, har.) Astronomers go there occasionally too.

Skinny models share drinks at Twix.

Bodybuilders go to Crunch. Has to be Nestle-run, though, not a knockoff.

Railroad engineers hang at the Tootsie Roll. Toot toot Tootsie!

CalTrans employees, however, are usually found at the Rocky Road.

Athletic shoe designers and Nike shills share tips at Aero. Oh, Russian airline pilots have been seen there too. After their flots.

Three Musketeers...the official NRA swinger's bar?

Accountants hit Pay Day twice a month.

Fans of gothic romances meet by moonlight at the Heath Bar. It's on a cliff by the sea.

Amnesiacs go to the Whatchamacallit, if their friends remind them.

Watering-hole for escaped lunatics is called Wonka's.

THE hangout for collectors is, of course, Skor. Although there is also a Nordic singles bar by that name. Martiki's mechanic has been spotted there--with his yellow rally-racing champion Volvo parked outside. To impress the chicks, natch.

My cat gang's favorite nitespot: The Kit Kat!

(You may not want to consider some of the possibilities for a bar named Mounds...so, let's
just say it's a baseball pitcher's paradise. Or, where Native American archaeologists spend their late nights digging for artifacts. Hmmm, it would also work as Carol Doda's new venture...yow!)

(BTW, the Charleston Chew IS named after the famous dance. It was launched in 1922, at the height of the Charleston craze. The vanilla one is my favorite candy bar!)

FYI, there really was a lesbian bar in London called the Candy Bar. I wonder if it had cherries?

I see no one mentioned Portland's Hung Far Low.

Yet.

A bad bar with a great name in North Hollywood/Resida: "He's Not Here."

On 2003-05-16 17:49, weirduncletiki wrote:
The Frolic Room
Hollywood, CA

There are now 3 Bob's Frolic Rooms in Hollywood. The original was a great Old Man bar on Hollywood Blvd. that became Hip & expanded. I think Bob's Frolic 3 even has live bands.

Another great name for a Hollywood "Bikini Bar" is Jumbo's Clown Room.

T

On 2003-05-16 15:51, thejab wrote:
Hung Far Low - Portland, OR

The Alibi - Portland, OR, and Arcata, CA (Chris already mentioned a similar favorite - The Office)

The Recovery Room - Cotati, CA

tikivixen - I would never forget that one - it's the best bar name ever!

The Philosopher's Club -- SF (West Portal)

In malta theres a place called the "Dive Bar" and that pretty much sums the place up

T

My fave from college days was The Loch Ness Monster Pub in Pasadena - good name and a good bar. It used to be a dive, but I saw Richard Feynman there once! The house band was Snotty Scotty & The Hankies.

TV: Someone did mention Hung Far Low already :wink:

TM1

The Harbour lounge, hotel street, honolulu!!

during the early 80's, run by a dragon lady named Ann, all the waitresses had "side jobs", the juke box had glen miller and tommy dorsey in it.......

What a great place! Who knows if it is still there!!

We've got

"The Sticky Wicket"

"Euphoria"..now closed but we used to call it Eu-whoria

"Ozone" we..of course..called it Ho-Zone

"Lucky""Hush" whch looks like "Flush" on the sign. Gay friendly.

On 2004-07-26 14:40, Tiki-bot wrote:

My fave from college days was The Loch Ness Monster Pub in Pasadena - good name and a good bar. It used to be a dive, but I saw Richard Feynman there once! The house band was Snotty Scotty & The Hankies.

TV: Someone did mention Hung Far Low already :wink:

Heading OT... Did anyone see the Hankies on Suicide Bridge on July 17th? This was the first time I've seen their name in years. How many clubs has this infamous combo shut down?

T

The Fez Lounge in NYC and The Red Fez in Texas.

T

Has anyone been to these I found in Yahoo Yellow Pages?:

Ye Olde Shack - Inglewood
Smog Cutter - L.A.
Hi & Dry - Torrance

I was searching in the Yellow Pages for a bar I went to some years ago in or near Culver City that was simply a man's name (like Jack's place) but was filled with pictures of famous people with that first name (such as Jack Palance, Jack Benny, etc.). I can't remember the name though. Anyone know this bar?

Here's some more in the Bay Area:

Pop Inn - Alameda

Lincoln's Address - on Lincoln St., Alameda

Merchant's Lunch - Oakland. Still has a trough below the bar for what purpose I'm not sure. I've heard rumors that people would relieve themselves without having to get up, but I find that hard to believe.

Fifth Amendment - Oakland - this may have been already mentioned

Egbert Souse's - Oakland - Can you guess who this bar is named after?

Bottom's Up Club - Hayward

Hollow Leg - Hayward

Shar-ade Cocktail Lounge - Hayward

Time Out - Hayward

[ Edited by: thejab on 2004-07-26 15:39 ]

Pages: 1 2 70 replies