Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Plastic Maori Masks

Pages: 1 1 replies

Hello everyone!

I have already introduced these two guys in my corner of the Home Tiki Bars section of this site, but was wondering if anyone out there knows more about them:

The masks themselves are injection-moulded plastic. They are made in New Zealand, and date from the 1960s. I can date them from the frames, which are real wood but have a white enamel and plastic wood veneer on the front that was quite common on picture frames back then.

The masks are mounted on a painted brown rattan background. They are mass-manufactured, and professionally made.

The first mask has a small sticker on the back of its frame, with "No. 53" written on it, while the second one is labelled "No. 63".

Dare I hope that these very Tiki Modern-looking pieces form part of a larger series? Has anyone seen other ones? These are the sort of souvenirs that foreign tourists would have taken home with them back in the day, so I would not be surprised if they turned up in North America.

Any clues will be gratefully received.

CN

I have the first one, sans frame. Found it at a St Vincent De Paul thrift store I believe.
I think it may have markings that confirm it was never framed, but I'm too pregnant to climb a chair and find out at the moment.

Thanks for posting, I had no idea there was a moko'd sibling of my tiki!

Pages: 1 1 replies