Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Cursed tikis set 2... Joe Strummer!!!!

Pages: 1 44 replies

ok Here is number 3 of set 2,
Always wanted to Remember Joe in a special way. so here is the ruff draft. got more work but everyone has been asking about this one..

The Hawaiian eye is sold out. (only did 50) i make make 10 more with a special glaze for bid only
But thanks to every one for the Great support!!!!

and in a few days i will have the Basement Kahuna design ready for preview

Who is Joe? A very good design, Wendy

who is joe? Really?????

Lead singer of the CLASH "the only band that matters"!!!!! :)

Good to see Joe & the Clash getting the respect! only the best band ever!

wait till you see it finished maybe 6 different glazes and I'm really going to do a lot of detail..

I have 25 pre orders already..this one might be a bigger run. (maybe 100) so I'll let everyone know

thinking about a Joey Ramone.. i might just do a set of Punk rock hero's!!!! Joey, Sid , Joe and ??????

lets sell how well this goes...

H

On 2010-10-26 20:24, The Witch Doctor wrote:
.. i might just do a set of Punk rock hero's!!!! Joey, Sid , Joe and ??????

Jello!

but Jello is not dead.. and would probably take me to Court..hahahaha

Lux, Siouxsie & Captain Sensible!

Oh, they got to be Dead Hero's?

so just Lux....

I am sorry, but I just gotta say this: Portrait mugs, be they of Don Ho, Jack Lord, OR Johnny Rotten, are just ....so....WRONG! Shudder.

Wait, you didn't mention the Sven portait mug :lol:

they all cant be winners now can they :)

The cover for "bad music for bad people" would be a sweet way to remember Lux

Ether way I'm having a blast making mugs and I hope the people who buy them in-joy them just as much

Thanks for all your support "good or bad"

L

On 2010-10-26 21:47, MadDogMike wrote:
Wait, you didn't mention the Sven portait mug :lol:

lol

No feel free to say anything. we are all tiki pals and gals on here.
I have no problem selling out of my mugs, unlike some of the Tiki farm stuff that sits on a clearance shelf for 99. cents

we all have our own taste..be good or bad :)

Angry Samoans

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-26 22:20 ]

I was just dusting My Sven mug and it feel off my shelf and broke (bad Ju JU)...hahahahahh

On 2010-10-26 21:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am sorry, but I just gotta say this: Portrait mugs, be they of Don Ho, Jack Lord, OR Johnny Rotten, are just ....so....WRONG! Shudder.

But I like my Bamboo Ben & Don Beach mugs!

Here is one i made for my buddy for his birthday.. what a way to honor your best bud of 20 + years , but with his own tiki mug.........:)

Thanks for being tolerant, kids, it's just my personal opinion, please.

Naturalistic portrait mugs lie for me somewhere between resin Elvis statues....

...and Disney-character "Tikis":

Tiki mugs, just like Tikis, are not meant to be realistic depictions of someone, the whole reason why Tiki art is cool is because it is stylized version of the human form: Modernist, primitive, or cartoony - or all of that.

The Sven portrait mug joke doesn't quite stick, because when in 2001 Squid whipped up the first version of the Sven-Tiki mug, it looked like this:

...and I recoiled in horror! While it certainly was a fine sculpting job, and flattering to see myself as a bust, it just was so ...un-Tiki. So I sat down with Squid and we squeezed out something that was primarily a cool Tiki mug, and then maybe somewhere had a vague resemblance to moi.

I leave the close-to-life figurines to such companies as Design Toscano and other resin "art" manufacturers that supply the vast market of celebrity collectibles.

L

"Tiki mugs, just like Tikis, are not meant to be realistic depictions of someone, the whole reason why Tiki art is cool is because it is stylized version of the human form: Modernist, primitive, or cartoony - or all of that."

Witch Doctor so Sven has said so shall it be law!!

Why can't people show off their work without the constant lecturing and hot air "opinions". Everyone is pretty tired of it these days.

Well, as opposed to the other participants in this thread who all seemed to have taken this in good humor, it primarily seems to be you Liz who is, and has been, pretty tired of my opinions. If you choose to see my well-founded theories about the unique qualities that distinguish Tiki art from other less unique art forms as "hot air", that is your prob, babe.

On 2010-10-26 23:25, leleliz wrote:

"Tiki mugs, just like Tikis, are not meant to be realistic depictions of someone, the whole reason why Tiki art is cool is because it is stylized version of the human form: Modernist, primitive, or cartoony - or all of that."

Witch Doctor so Sven has said so shall it be law!!

Why can't people show off their work without the constant lecturing and hot air "opinions". Everyone is pretty tired of it these days.

Sounds like a lecture to me.

Hey that's the flying head in Zardoz!

hahahhahaha

well now my feelings are hurt.. and I'll never make another tiki again :(

can someone send me some glue to fix my Broken Sven mug?????!!!!!

On 2010-10-27 00:55, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hey that's the flying head in Zardoz!

I know, it's kinda scary, innit? I bet Liz would love to have it though to throw rotten tomatoes at! :)

WitchDr., I now realize that American politeness would have required me to precede my critique with an ample laudatio of your other mug designs, which are indeed fine pieces of sculpting, as well as the Joe Strummer mug really is. Mine was more a knee-jerk reaction to the fallen Punk hero tangent that you guys went off on, where in my minds eye I saw this army of Punk rocker mugs marching towards me, and I got scared!

It is my fate that whenever I do voice my educated opinion on Tiki matters here, because of my position some think I am pontificating, while I am really just explaining where I am coming from. And I am always open to intelligent counter-arguments to make me realize my erring ways, but they have to be a little more constructive than accusations of "hot air".

And thanks to your sense of humor displayed in your responses I rest assured that my position on portrait mugs will not truly affect your punk rock line idea, for there are obviously enough people out there who WILL appreciate them - maybe a Johnny Rotten sneering "Up Yours!"? :D

P.S.: Ooops, I just remembered that "Up Yours" was Poly Styrene's /X-Ray Spex's slogan! Forgive this old man's brain, it's been over 30 years since I witnessed them during the shooting of this endearingly naive document from 1977:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzhDvZ2Q2B0&feature=related

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-27 13:36 ]

That would be "Oh Bondage! Up yours!" and those where the Daze! :lol:

On 2010-10-26 23:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, as opposed to the other participants in this thread who all seemed to have taken this in good humor, it primarily seems to be you Liz who is, and has been, pretty tired of my opinions. If you choose to see my well-founded theories about the unique qualities that distinguish Tiki art from other less unique art forms as "hot air", that is your prob, babe.

I'll be happy to back Liz up.
whatever you do, do not question bigbros opinions. You run the risk of being subjected to him quoting himself endlessly: "(I defined the term tiki","I wrote the book","souless hacks of wood"....blah blah blah.
yeah we get it already.
instead of saying "gee, maybe I was out of line, sorry", it's always some long winded(hot air)explanation of why you were correct in the first place.
yeesh, what an ego

Witch Doctor that is so cool that you would make a mug for a friend, very cool!
and a very "Tiki" thing to do! for a buddy.

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Oct 27, 2010 7:19 PM

Ole! Thanx Bigbrosven and Squid! And I agree with you Sven. You explain things super clear and that is the best of it all. You are super serious German style on how you support your theories. You founded Tiki Archeology. Keep doing it and setting the standard.
You SHOULD make that mug now, just for fun and as an example of what it shouldn't be. The name of the signature coctail could be "Sven's headache".
My two pesos.

I think I'll make a Sven Mr Potato Head mug next :))

J

On 2010-10-26 20:24, The Witch Doctor wrote:
....i might just do a set of Punk rock hero's!!!! Joey, Sid , Joe and ??????

You guys... Darby should have been the first Punk icon immortalized in ceramic !!

Also I can't believe the Bigbro called Leleliz "babe". I would be scared. Didn't she use to play professional roller derby ?? :D

And while we're on the subject of realistic Tiki mugs, I'm still waiting for my Pam Grier Afro-Velvet mug.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-28 07:55 ]

H

Integrity vs second handers. :)

L

On 2010-10-27 20:23, JOHN-O wrote:

Also I can't believe the Bigbro called Leleliz "babe".

SHUDDER

Witch Doctor since this is your thread showcasing your art --but unfortunately Sven had to go spouting off AGAIN as per usual - I forgot to say that making a mug for your friend is a pretty awesome idea.

Cograts on all the presales of this Joe Strummer mug too!

yea thanks to everyone!!!! a guy in England order 50 mugs woo- hooo..

and also this is still fun after two days

REALLY thanks to all who support me, and all that don't well....If your not now, you never were :)

should have more pictures up this weekend..

mixing glazes tonight as well..

Really like your work...keep it up!

Time to dust off this old thread and pose the question yet once again...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25756&forum=1&142

Are you?

PTD

On 2010-10-27 18:59, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:
I'll be happy to back Liz up.
whatever you do, do not question bigbros opinions. You run the risk of being subjected to him quoting himself endlessly: "(I defined the term tiki","I wrote the book","souless hacks of wood"....blah blah blah.
yeah we get it already.
instead of saying "gee, maybe I was out of line, sorry", it's always some long winded(hot air)explanation of why you were correct in the first place.
yeesh, what an ego

I did not say I was out of line, because I didn't think I was. I did however concede that I could have preceded my initial, brief but honest post with more positivist comments and balanced it out that way.

Well, I realize that some here might feel that I am stating the above constantly, but that seems to be a very subjective view. If you would objectively compare how many times I actually said any of the above to how many thousands of constructive, informative posts I have contributed here, I believe percentage-wise I will not look quite so egocentric. For example, I did not say any of this in any of my posts in this thread. The problem seems to be that to some here it SEEMS that way, and they read this into many of my posts, because I am authoritative about my subject.

This might be because A.) I post a lot, and B.) I do this with conviction, based on my experience and understanding of Tiki. And I criticize on the same level. Some folks might want his forum to be an all-around, back-slapping love fest, and when it isn't, get upset. I am sorry. I cannot abide. If I would be worried about that, I could do like Jeff Berry does, and not post at all, and -Voila!- I would be held in highest esteem by even the most critique/ego-sensitive reader, like Jeff is. But kids, believe me, you do not know what he really thinks. :D

Luckily others here seem to actually read and UNDERSTAND my posts at face value, and either think I might have a point, or disagree based on their own personal conviction about a subject - which they hopefully back up with intelligent arguments, and not insults based on some personal filters and buttons being pushed.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-28 10:04 ]

so are we still talking about my mugs?.....:(

S

On 2010-10-28 19:51, The Witch Doctor wrote:
so are we still talking about my mugs?.....:(

Yes! And nice ones they be! Keep it up. :)

P

bigro, haven't seen an example of the no true scotsman fallacy in a while! :D

well said, squid.

Ha, had to look that up, but could not find a section in my musings where it applies. But with that, I am in good company here, most of the time people don't really care to understand each other's point of view, they have theirs pre-set, and that's it. :) But yes, please, enough of all that.

Dear Dr., I apologize feeling compelled to explain myself in length, in no way did I wanna squelch your thread! And, as I said before, your mugs shown here are fine works indeed- even if the Hawaiian Eye mug was announced by Kevin Kidney before. But since he has not come forth with it (due to his heavy other work load) for quite some time now, it is understandable that someone does their own version, I am judgement-free on that. This is not a snide, I mean it. I didn't even mind the Joe Strummer mug, it was only the idea of a whole LINE of Punk Star Portrait mugs that scared me. :D

I missed when you did the Hawaiian Eye mugs, would of liked one also.

Hey no worries.. Cant break my bank!!! Sven you have earned your right to bitch, cross talk, or complain no one can take that from you. As offend me?.. I have just as much fun ,making fun on myself. :)

I will be doing a limited run of 12 more of the Hawaiian eye mug in a different glaze to those who missed the first round. as for who was first with the idea, well lets just say there is room for all

Remember "Cursed Tikis" is my own Company, Just me and one other person, we hand pour, Hand glaze, and take a lot of care. We don't have 100 Mexicans in a shack , or some Under age sweat shop in China cranking out 200 + a day for a bowl of banana's

made in America by Americans!!!!!

Monday stay tuned. I will have new photos and updates on delivery times

ALL 7 OF MY NEW MUGS WILL BE READY BY DECEMBER.
a few have asked about my first set..

I might make 12 of each with a special glaze just in time for X-Mas

and maybe even my Johnny Cash mug.....hahahahahha (just for Sven heheheh)

Can't wait to see what the first run glaze looks like on the Hawaiian Eye mug CJ !

wow did we do that? the tiki gods are angry

Pages: 1 44 replies