Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Big Kahuna in Pomona/LA January 27-February 2

Pages: 1 37 replies

I'm getting on one of those big sardine cans & heading west for the GNRS. What should I see & do? This will be my first trip to SoCal.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2011-01-17 15:03 ]

L

What you should do is come to norcal first THEN go down south!

J

There's not a lot of tourist stuff in Pomona. I'd recommend you allocate some extra days closer towards LA proper and/or the ocean. You should mark down Jan 30th Sunday afternoon for the Tonga Hut (North Hollywood) and Jan 31st Monday evening for Don the Beachcomber (Huntington/Sunset Beach). That when and where TC congregates. I'd look forward to meeting you.

What else are you into besides Tiki and hot rod culture ?? :)

How far is LA from Pomona?

J

Pomona is 30 miles east of Downtown LA. That's where Trader Vic's is.

Also Pomona is 45 miles to the Tonga Hut (San Fernando Valley), 40 miles to Don's (Huntington Beach), 30 miles to Tiki-Ti (Hollywood/Silverlake), and 45 miles to Santa Monica beach.

L

and John-O is a human GPS :)

L

and John-O is a human GPS :)

I'll have to find my way to at least a coupla those places. I think we're gonna head to Vegas for a few days after the show. Everything but the GNRS is still up in the air, right now.

What'd you say, Liz?

What'd you say, Liz?

:D

P

Pomona is way out east from LA nearer to the San Bernadino county line than it is to LA. There is nothing tiki in Pomona. The closest tiki to Pomona is Bahooka in Rosemead and Oceanic Arts in Whittier. Go west on I-10 past the 605 to Rosemead Blvd, go north on Rosemead to Lower Azusa Rd and Bahooka is right there on your right. Oceanic Arts requires you to go South on the 605 to Whittier Blvd and then go east on Whittier.

You can also keep going west on I-10 which will take you to downtown LA. Switch to 110 S to get to downtown where Trader Vic's is just off the 110 at LA Live. Or, switch over to the 101 N (toward Hollywood), exit Vermont, go to Sunset and that will put you near Tiki Ti.

Everything else is much farther away. I recommend using Google maps to find where everything is and how to get there from wherever you are.

Would finding a hotel west of Pomona be a good idea?

On 2010-10-28 16:34, JOHN-O wrote:
There's not a lot of tourist stuff in Pomona.

There USED to be a great antique store Main Street in Pomona. Don't know how much of that has survived these days. The "Pomona Polynesia" apartments have not...

In case you are into mid-century modern architecture, maybe you can get ahold of this lil 16 page booklet:

...but it probably would be easier to get the commercial version, not cheap though:

http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Pomona-Valley-1930-thru/dp/0967292107/

L

BK I have a virus in my computer that makes me post twice :)

I wish you would come this way.....so much to see up here (like me, Duane, Smugglers, Forbidden, TVs, Wendy and Dan's Jungle Room....)

If I have to come meet you down there then I will !

J

On 2010-10-28 16:52, Big Kahuna wrote:
Would finding a hotel west of Pomona be a good idea?

If you're planning on drinking... YES.

Hey if Leleliz comes down, I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :)

M

The Mission Tiki Drive-in is just five miles from the Fairplex:

http://www.missiontiki.com

There's Moai by Tiki Diablo and a mug for sale in the snack bar gift shop (still available when I was there last month, at least).

You can see some groovy mid-century modern stuff at Futures Collide. I think they have a couple of Moai on the overhang outside. We bought some Witco and a couple of large Tikis from them a long time ago...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/futures-collide-pomona

Some good food and decor in nearby Chino off the Pomona (60) Freeway at Central. The Sweet Potato stack is killer. I usually get that and the seared Ahi with Mac salad & Jasmine Rice. The Mai Tai used to be Ok when they used Coruba.....now they are using Meyers and it sucks. Served in a Tiki mug instead of the rocks they used in the past. Nice Hawaiian murals and decor. Some nights they have Hawaiian music and Happy hour specials...

http://www.honoluluharryschino.com/starters.html

Jeeez Ron, I think these images will twist anybody's arm! Yummm.....Now I am thinking about driving to Pomona!

Okay, Ron. That place is on my list.

Heya Rick, you'll have a blast. Say hi to that defector Lukeulele, willya?

I'm gonna try to get to Trader Vic's on Sunday & Don's on Monday.

J

Here's my opinionated recommendation...

Skip Trader Vic's on Sunday and go straight to the Tonga Hut (in North Hollywood) instead.

It's a choice between:

A) Corporate Tiki Revival with OK Tropical drinks, amongst the Tiki philistines.

Vs.

B) Old-school authentic mid-century Tiki-style with some of the BEST and most original Tropical drinks around, amongst the TC rank and file. Tiki celebrities like Marty Lush (music), Hiphipahula (mixology), Grog and Tobunga (art), and Tonga Tom/Sherriyaki (professional drinkers) will be in the house.

Choose "B", Big Kahuna. Choose "B".

Yep, I'd go with the Tonga Hut also on Sunday it's "Exotica Sunday" and it will be a great chance to catch lots of tiki people in one Great venue. 4-8pm
12808 Victory Bl. No.Hollywood, Ca.

Big Kahuna,

You could actually choose A and B. 15 miles and 22 minutes from Vic's to Tonga Hut. I made it from Don's to Tonga Hut and BACK to Don's last weekend, but I would not recommend that one.

Tonga Hut is fun, I would recommend you stop by for one of Kelly's drinks and meet the locals.

DC

OK! Tonga Hut has moved ahead of Trader Vic's on the Sunday priority list. I can't wait!!!! Besides, I owe Tobunga a Mai Tai!

L

BK I am going to try to get down there to see ya since you are stubborn and wont come up this way!

It's a long walk from LA to SF sweetie!

L

On 2010-12-14 18:24, Big Kahuna wrote:
It's a long walk from LA to SF sweetie!

cry me a river sniff sniff

BK

It's freaking snowing again! I can't wait to hit SoCal!!!!!

18" of snow today. You guys are gonna have a tough time getting me to go home!

J

On 2011-01-12 09:30, Big Kahuna wrote:

18" of snow today. You guys are gonna have a tough time getting me to go home!

Hey we get snow in California too. :)

18 inches can be a GOOD thing !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-01-12 09:43 ]

You guys even do snow right!

Stay has been extended through February 2. I'll be flying out Wednesday afternoon.

5" More followed by sleet & rain. Who's gonna rent me a room? I'm not coming back here!!!

L

Big Kahuna I am looking forward to meeting you next weekend in person.

(John O did you catch that...I am coming down for a mini SoCal tour as well so I will see you too!)

9"-12" of freakin" snow Wednesday night into Thursday morning.!!! I'm suposed to fly out of Boston @ 9:05 Thursday morning. I need some TC mojo here!

Flight cancelled!!! Rescheduled for a marathon day of travel leaving Boston at 2:00, 3 hours stuck at JFK & then into LAX at 11:00 tomorrow night.

L

On 2011-01-26 15:12, Big Kahuna wrote:
Flight cancelled!!! Rescheduled for a marathon day of travel leaving Boston at 2:00, 3 hours stuck at JFK & then into LAX at 11:00 tomorrow night.

Yuck-o! As long as you get there that is all that matters!

Plus just think of how good those cocktails will taste once you are on the West Coast!

Pages: 1 37 replies