Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Every First Thursday Otto's Grotto @ FI

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

O
Otto posted on Tue, Nov 2, 2010 12:56 AM

As of January 2014 - Otto's Grotto is moved to first Thursday

Which means it's time for another Otto's Grotto at Forbidden Island
8 pm - closing (usually midnight but could be later if you're still drinking!)
http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com/

Brother Cleve's visit conjured up more Now Sound Easy Listening than Exotica and I'm gonna continue with that this week

and of course cocktails by the lovely Suzanne
http://rumnpineapple.blogspot.com/2010/01/press-release-black-orchid-sessions.html

[ Edited by: Otto 2014-01-20 10:28 ]

I'm very excited that I too will be working this Wednesday at Forbidden Island. I miss serving y'all at Otto's Grotto! This is just a guest appearance though. As I will be back to my normal schedule as of next week. :o)

O
Otto posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 7:09 PM

I'll be premiering the new Johnny Aloha Tiki Lounge Cd that I just got in the mail today sent overnight from Richard Cheese's label

Good times tonight! And that Johnny Aloha CD is better than I expected! Gonna buy myself a copy.

O
Otto posted on Thu, Nov 25, 2010 9:16 AM

Dec 1 is a Wednesday and the LAST Otto's Grotto of the year
Expect new music from Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica big band, Johnny Aloha, Tiki Joe's Ocean, and Tikiyaki Orchestra, as well as WAITIKI, Skip Heller and the usual Hawaiian/Exotica and how could I resist throwing in a few Christmas tunes.

And of course, cocktail concoctions by Suzanne!

This Wed, Dec 1st @ Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge, Alameda
8 - midnight
FREE
http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com/

O
Otto posted on Wed, Dec 1, 2010 7:03 PM

Last Otto,s Grotto of the year tonight 8 - midnight

O
Otto posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2011 10:10 PM

OK, Let's try this again. Exotica music is alive an kickin it. But you gotta come out to support it if it is going to survive.

DJ Mermaid - Lounging in Otto's Grotto at Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge
Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 7pm - closing

DJ Mermaid brings her eclectic selection of loungeland sounds to Forbidden Island! From Esquivel to Lyman to Ferrante & Tiecher to early electronic music, Mermaid transports us to other shores, and even other worlds, while Otto takes a dive into the duality of Exotica vinyl and tropical cocktail drinking. Don't try this at home!

Admission: FREE

M
mp posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2011 5:54 PM

I'll be there tonight!

Who's coming?

M
mp posted on Sat, Feb 19, 2011 5:45 PM

Hey gang! Come join me for a live performance black velvet painting at Otto's Grotto on Wednesday, March 2nd. Join me for a cocktail as I paint Tiki Bob hang'n ten on black velvet with an original MP carved frame.

Chill out with Otto's killer sounds and harass MP as I try and create a velvet masterpiece under menacing public scrutiny. LOL

The painting will be raffled off with 5 tickets for 5 bucks. I will start painting at 7 and
hope to finish around 11. So come out with a few extra bucks and steal this
painting.

Check back here for more Surfn Bob and frame updates getting ready for BIG WEDNESDAY!

Also check out Grogs awesome Tiki Bob art show comning up here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39043&forum=17&36

[ Edited by: mp 2011-02-19 17:59 ]

M
mp posted on Wed, Feb 23, 2011 12:33 AM

Here is a preview of the frame I carved for Surfing Bob.
Come by Otto's Grotto on march 2nd and win this live performance
black velvet painting. Raffle tickets will be 5 for 5 bucks
and I should be done at about 11 pm.

I also heard a rumor Rum Runner will be sitting in on Otto's set.
Should be groovy!!!

O
Otto posted on Sat, Feb 26, 2011 12:15 AM

Otto's Grotto is in fine form next Wednesday, March 2
with guest DJs Paul and Ken
It's Spies, Private Eyes, and Secret Agents as Paul & Ken spin soundtracks from ?

In honor of the return to earth by Man or Astroman? we will also explore their secret agent side
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MAN-OR-ASTRO-MAN-Official-Page/290477140142
http://www.astroman.com/
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39164&forum=4&hilite=astroman

March 2, 8pm - midnight
Forbidden Island http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com/

Also (in case you hadn't noticed by the very large pictures in the posts above!) NorCal creative force to be reckoned with known simply as MP will be creating a live painting on velvet at Otto's Grotto night!

This will be the first of several live painting events held in conjunction with Otto's Grotto. Don't miss the first one!

I will be at Forbidden Island this Wednesday for Ottos Grotto I'm on town for only a couple of days so drop in and say G'day

M
mp posted on Sun, Feb 27, 2011 7:29 PM

Awesome Marcus! Cant wait to meet you!

Heres the frame with stretched velvet
ready for Wednesday Night.

Sounds fun! I'll be there with a crew.

J

Sounds cool! Save my parking space for me!

L

Yay..a night of great music...watching MP make me my new Bob art :wink: and meeting one of my favorite carvers from the land down under (couldn't resist!) ..count me in for sure!

Great Poster by the way..............

J

Tonight!!! This looks like it's gonna be a blast! See you all there!

Sounds like a good party - unfortunately I'm gonna have to miss it due to other commitments. weaksauce
Have fun everybody!

-Trad'r Bill

M
mp posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 3:43 PM

Huge Mahalos to everyone who bought a raffle ticket for my Surfin Bob
"live" painting Wednesday night. I had a blast painting live for everyone and
congrats to Tom Coleman with the winning ticket and congrats to KuKu who one a
runner up "Frank the mug" MP tiki mug.

Thanks to Michael, Otto, and giant claps for DJz Ken and Paul!
Also a GIANT hug and kiss to Brenda Ray who took over the raffle ticket job and
made MP a bundle of dough. Thank you Brenda and you Tiki Ohana for suppoting my art.

The night was full of fun and laughs and super fun seeing Kevin and meeting SUPER carver
Marcus Thorn! What a sweet Night!

Here was the end result, stopping at 11pm. The winner had left already so I got to
bring him home for a few days to do some final tweeks and take some pics.
Notice his right hand thumb. Besides not filling in the palm tree I think that was the
nights only casualty. Not to bad for being live on velvet.
Cheers!

M
mp posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 11:01 PM

Aloha everyone! Getting ready for another live black velvet painting
at Otto's Grotto Weds April 6th. This time I will painting a moody rendition
of the suffering Bastard on stretched velvet with an MP carved frame.

I know hes played out, but hes one of my favorites.
Come by and grab a raffle ticket, a cocktail and chill
with DJ Otto's exotic sounds!

O
Otto posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2011 12:31 AM

8pm this Wednesday, May 4 marks the beginning of the latest Otto's Grotto at Forbidden Island
WHAT: great vintage music on vinyl
WHEN: 8pm til closing (usually midnight)
WHERE: Forbidden Island, Alameda, CA
WHY: cause Wednesday is the new Thursday and you need to get out and party
HOW MUCH: Free, so what are you waiting for?

Guest DJ this month - the return of Johnny Bartlett

O
Otto posted on Mon, May 2, 2011 6:31 PM

I forgot to mention that resident artist MP will be performing live velvet painting!!!

It's incredible, when I start DJing it's a piece of stretched black velvet. When I'm done, its a beautiful valuable velvet painting!!

M
mp posted on Wed, May 4, 2011 12:03 AM

Thanks Otto! YES, I will be there for another amazing Otto's Grotto painting
"live" on black velvet. I just finished building this frame this evening and
this week I will be paying tribute to one of my favorite tiki artists, Master
Ken Ruzic. Ive got clearance from the devil himself and Im looking forward to
rockin the tunes and hittin the brushes. This week I will have a flat rate price
on the painting as the raffle thing is kind of a pain in the ass and everyone hates a raffle
except the winner right. Ill keep it cheap folks! Come on out.

M
mp posted on Wed, May 4, 2011 12:11 AM

I forgot to post lasts months raffle winner, Erin from Alameda.
Congrats on your "Moody Bastard" velvet Erin.

This one was a blast to paint!

http://www.thriftmporium.com

[ Edited by: mp 2011-05-04 00:21 ]

CA

i'm just sayin'....

O
Otto posted on Thu, May 5, 2011 1:53 PM

Arriba!
don't forget to hit up your office party, neighbor's BBQ, nearest bar or local Chevys restaurant for Cinco de Mayo decor
Go to the party, drink the tequila, leave with all the decor!!!
Then bring it ti Tiki Oasis for our South of the Border party!!!

O
Otto posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2011 12:53 PM

Ottos Grotto TONIGHT!
Forbidden Island 8pm til closing

Come see my new reserved parking space sign!

O
Otto posted on Mon, Jul 4, 2011 10:52 PM

This Wed, July 6 is time for Otto's Grotto!!
Resident artist MP returns to create live art before your eyes to the sounds of DJ Otto

M
mp posted on Wed, Jul 6, 2011 1:27 AM

Here is a Kona style temple carving that I will be borrowing for tonights black velvet painting in Ottos Grotto at Forbidden Island Cocktail Lounge. This image is from the book Hawaiin Sculpture as most of you probably know.

And Here is a perfectly good thrift store frame I ruined for the occasion. Come join us for cocktails, the exotic sounds of DJ Otto and "Live" black velvet painting.

Come out and heckle MP as he tries to create a decent black velvet under the intense pressure and scrutiny in the Tiki Bars all seeing eye :)

O
Otto posted on Wed, Jul 6, 2011 5:55 PM

And FREE Latin lps to the first 12 guests

O
Otto posted on Mon, Aug 1, 2011 8:40 PM

YAY! It's the first Wednesday of the month in two days!

It's Otto's Grotto

That's right, time for more luscious Latin tunes by DJ Otto and delicious drinks by Suzanne!

Join us 8pm to closing (usually midnight)
At Forbidden Island

S

Tonight's the night! All the Otto, Herb Alpert tunes and delicious cocktails you can stand!

--Suzanne

O
Otto posted on Tue, Oct 4, 2011 10:16 PM

tomorrow night, Wed, Oct 5 - It's Otto's Grotto at Forbidden Island (again)

Tune in for lots of Exotica and Easy Listening
and
inhouse live Beatnik style painting from MP

I will also have Tiki Oasis 2012 calendar on sale

For those fortunate enough to stay til last call we will blast you with some Sonics in honor of Norton Records 25th Anniversary happening next month
http://www.nortonrecords.com/xxv.php

On 2011-07-06 01:27, mp wrote:

Here is a Kona style temple carving that I will be borrowing for tonights black velvet painting in Ottos Grotto at Forbidden Island Cocktail Lounge. This image is from the book Hawaiin Sculpture as most of you probably know.

And Here is a perfectly good thrift store frame I ruined for the occasion. Come join us for cocktails, the exotic sounds of DJ Otto and "Live" black velvet painting.

Come out and heckle MP as he tries to create a decent black velvet under the intense pressure and scrutiny in the Tiki Bars all seeing eye :)

Hmmm....that looks mighty familar!

Hey MP -just thought you might like to know that this is the first piece of art we have hung in the living room of our new home. My hubby Atomic Tiki Punk loves your work, and purchased this at the Tiki Highway event. It looks great next to the rock wall. Keep up the beautiful work!

O
Otto posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2011 6:39 PM

Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new month. You may be thinking of the holidays (that's good cause FI has holiday drinks), you might be recovering from Halloween (I recommend a Dark n Stormy. That Ginger brew will give your immune system a boost), or you might be thinking Movember (I know I am, check out my three-day old 'stache).

Whatever the case you probably need a good ok shot of Exotica laced with a little Spy Theme.

8pm til closing
Wed, Nov 2
Forbidden Island

M
mp posted on Wed, Nov 2, 2011 4:22 PM

Im ready to throw down some paint tonight minus our scheduled guest Tweedlebop, aka Michael Fleming has had some dental surgery keeping him from the canvas tonight, but has promised a raincheck :) Hope to see ya out there tonight chiilin to Otto's latest wax and dont forget to heckle the resident artist try'n to make a decent velvet :)
Tonights subject pic is a sculpture of a Hawaiin war God made of feathers.
(Image stolen from the nets)

O
Otto posted on Mon, Dec 5, 2011 7:24 AM

Time for another Otto's Grotto
This month
check out Otto's new stickers on his DJ record box!!
Guest Spy Tunes from Paul Cramer (aka Rumrunner)
and live art creation by MP

8-midnight
Wed, Dec 7
Forbidden Island

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jan 3, 2012 11:31 PM

Tonight, Wednesday, January 4
8-midnight
Forbidden Island
Join Otto, Baby Doe, Sister Sonia, Beat artist MP, bartender deluxe Suzanne and super SPY guest DJ Staccato, aka Scott Owen http://www.tikinews.com/kahiki.html

O
Otto posted on Tue, Feb 28, 2012 11:37 PM

You won't want to miss a single Otto's Grotto. So here are the dates for the rest of the year. anyone planning a trip to the Bay Area this year please plan accordingly so your trip coincides with one of these dates!

March 7
April 4
May 2
June 6
July 4
August 1
September 5
October 3
November 7
December 5

Do you dream of walking into a dimly lit, cool, thatched roof Tiki bar, with a little fountain in one corner, bamboo and Tikis everywhere, where guests are engaged in lively chatter while an artist toils away at a velvet painting creating art right before your eyes. As you finally adjust to this tranquil dreamlike setting, you notice the beautiful, authentic Exotica seeping through the speakers and engulfing the room like a warm offshore breeze. This is the paradise you have been looking for.

Welcome to Otto's Grotto. This once-a-month scene happens at Forbidden Island the first Wednesday of every month from 8 pm til closing.
Listen in each month for a preview of Tiki Oasis 12 Exotic Espionage theme music

Now you can also join in the "Classic Drink" drinking contest as you drink your way to Tiki Oasis. Every Wednesday Forbidden Island serves a different classic Trader Vic's, Don the Beachcomber, or similar era cocktail that is not already on the menu. Grab a drink card and check them off each week. The winner gets a trip to Tiki Oasis. More info TBA in a separate thread.

SC

We've just received intelligence that a counter agent will be present at Otto's Grotto next month. Patrons beware, it could also be a honeypot
An espionage expert from The City of Angels infiltrates Otto's Grotto
His name is Duke, Double Ought Duke, the one and only Duke of Spy and Secret Agent Music. 00D is thee most interesting Mixocologist (half musicologist/half DJ) in the WORLD! Duke will be visiting the Grotto on Wednesday, April 4th, with a dazzling International Spy and exotica set, sharing just a taste of what he will be presenting at Tiki Oasis 2012, a one-of-a kind symposium, “Come Spy with Me”. Duke will be bringing never heard before secret agent tunes and exotic music from Japan, Belgium, Louisiana, and all points east, west, north and south and maybe even from Tierra del Fuego. Tunes SO exquisite, you may think your drinks have never tasted so good…… Not to be missed! Duke says, “Keep your ears open, my friend.”

Wednesday, April 4, 8pm - midnight
Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge, Alameda, California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypots_in_espionage_fiction

[ Edited by: Spy Chief 2012-03-24 13:17 ]

O
Otto posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2012 12:38 AM

tonight, Wed, Mar 28, I'll be at Forbidden Island for 20 Weeks of Tiki Drinks. It's not Otto's Grotto (that's next week) but who can resist the chance to win prizes for drinking classic Tiki Drinks!

O
Otto posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2012 10:11 PM

Spy Chief, thanks for posting the imminent arrival of agent Duke. I also have it on Otto's Grotto's facebook page here:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/117268495023038/

wish I could be there to hear all the great tunes.
and have a drink at FI,
its been to long since I have been there.

Jeff(btd)

O
Otto posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2012 7:21 PM

Tonight 8-midnight. Agent 00 Duke brings the music from the secret world of spies to Forbidden Island. Be there to experience it while sampling FREE Mount Gay rum and tasting the latest vintage recipe from our "20 Weeks of Tiki Drinks" contest

O
Otto posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 1:07 AM

Agent 00 Duke downing the last of the Mount Gay Black 100 proof rum
so good you can drink it straight!!

O
Otto posted on Wed, May 2, 2012 5:52 PM

Otto's Grotto tonight 8-midnight

And continuation of 20 Weeks of Tiki Drinks

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies