Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving tools help

Pages: 1 5 replies

TT

Hey everyone... I finally am going to pick up a set of carving tools but being the noob that I am I thought I would get the opinion of a few seasoned carvers.

I'm thinking about getting the following tools:

The carving sets have the following specs..
Materials
Blades: High precision chrome vanadium alloy steel
Handles: Seasoned hard wood, front end covered by steel shum electro plated
Finish
Blades: Precision ground lacquer polished.
Handles: Lacquer polished seasoned hard wood.

The gouges are 6mm, 12mm and 18mm

The gouges are the same material as above except with plastic poly handle.

The whole lot I can get for $60. Is this a fair deal? The tools are ANANT.

Thanking you all so very much for any of your input.

Cheap chisels are CHEAP not GOOD. If your not willing to invest in good chisels be prepared to reinvest in some when you get some experience. Cheap chisels are made of lesser quality steel and often will not hold a sharp edge - so be prepared to sharpen often. Dull chisels are much more dangerous than sharp chisels - with dull blades you apply more force and often find yourself working twice as hard.

P

Pfeil!

B

Actually these tools Look like the cheapie china junk But are NOT!

They are from a very Respected company in India making Affordable high quality woodworking tools. Google the company and see the info.

TT

I was looking at other chisels and what they're made of and Pfiel also uses chrome vanadium alloy steel. I'm picking them up from a carpentry shop going out of business. They had them on their storage shelves unopened and are just liquidating everything. Not on an online, ebay sorta sketchy thing.

Thanks Benzart, I did check the website but I didn't see any info on pricing or distributors in North America. Hence I wasn't sure how to gauge a good deal.

TT

Okay.... just a follow-up. Went ahead and picked up the carving tools. They are sweet! The carving set is ready to go out of the box but the gouges need to be sharpened.... Now to take a lesson in tool sharpening. Wheeee!

Pages: 1 5 replies