Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Nov. 27: Ding Dong Devils at Puka Bar, LB

Pages: 1 7 replies

C

Yes, folks! An actual Tiki band show at the Puka Bar, on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 27th! The perfect cure for your post-Thanksgiving tryptophan blues!

We're playing a once-a-month club called Tiki Tonk, which started up at the Puka in September, and features hosts MC Buck F Naked and DJ Dave Shameless.

The event will begin at 9p with a DJ set by Dave Shameless.
Then the event will follow as such with music during changeovers.
10p Naked & Shameless
11p Johnny Wadd & the Stiff Sheets
12a Ding Dong Devils

Even if you have other plans that night, come on by and see us afterward!

There's no cover charge for this night!

Puka Bar
710 West Willow
Long Beach, CA 90806
21+
http://events.myspace.com/Event/View/8424780

This is a rare chance to hear tiki-themed music at the Puka Bar. The back room (where the bands play) used to be a rather drab contrast to the beauty of the front bar room (featuring the work of Crazy Al). However, they've since matted some of the walls and added a few tikis and torches to give it some continuity.

http://www.facebook.com/dingdongdevils
http://www.myspace.com/dingdongdevils

I should be able to make it.
usually not much going on that weekend.

except x-mas shopping,
and who has money for that?
:o

Jeff(btd)

C

Only 8 days away! Come see us at the Puka Bar Saturday 11/27!

sat.

J

I've never been to the Puka Bar before, seeing the Ding Dong Devils there is a great excuse !!

"Imagine the Cramps visit the Tiki-Ti and get totally fucked up on Ray's Mistakes. There they hear a Martin Denny tune and then decide to combine psycho-billy with an exotica inspiration. The result would be the Ding Dong Devils."

The DDD's sing about Tiki culture. They track the golden age, through devolution, and then the revival.

Nepheria told me she's even working on a song "I'm a Thirstin' for Kirsten". Ha, ha.

C

Tomorrow night--come see what happens when tiki and honky tonk collide! The Ding Dong Devils are playing last, about 11:30 or midnight, so even if you have earlier plans that evening come on by!

C

Thanks to John-O and Crazy Al for coming out to the Puka last night! Naked & Shameless and Johnny Wadd and the Stiff Sheets were both very entertaining, and hopefully we continued some of that vibe with our set (enhanced with a cabbage that was left over from Naked & Shameless' set--you'd have to have been there to fully understand!).

Caltiki Brent

J

GREAT show !! Everything on the CD is even better in person!! Thank you also for the cover of Jack Nitzsche's "The Last Race". I love that song and it was great to hear it live.

Congrats also for making the line-up for Tiki Caliente. I will be there !!

Here's my dream line-up of Tiki Music with vocals:

1. Smokin' Menehunes
  2. Hula Girls
  3. Ding Dong Devils

It covers all the bases from timeless classic through "It could only be Tiki Revival". :)

Pages: 1 7 replies