Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge Playlist 11-3-10

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: November 3, 2010

Today we began the first of two shows dedicated to the history of that joyous little king of musical instruments -- the ukulele. Be sure to listen to Part Two of our History of the Ukulele on Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on WEBR Fairfax Radio, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webr

1. “Akahi Hoi” by the Royal Hawaiian Quintette from the CD Box Set: It’s Hotter in Hawaii [said to have been recorded in 1913]

2. “Kai Maia O Ka Maoli” by Frank Ferera & His Hawaiian Trio, with Helen Louise, from the collection: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand [Recorded in 1916]

3. “Lei E” the 1929 recording by Emma Bush with Johnny Noble and His Hawaiian Music from the CD: R. Crumb’s Hot Women

4. “Gone With the Wind” by the Kalima Brothers from the CD: Vintage Hawaiian Legends, Volume 1, with Jesse Kalima on Ukulele; Albert Kalima on Bass; Honey Kalima and Cyril “Gabby” Gomes on Guitars; Junior Kalima & Julian Gasper on Lap Steel Guitar; and Richard Kapapanuihanumoku Kauhi on Piano

5. “Hawaiian War Chant” from the late 1930s by Britain’s Felix Mendelsohn and His Hawaiian Serenaders from the CD of the same name [Vocal by George Barclay]

6. “Maui Chimes” the 1940s performance by Jules Ah See from the CD: History of Hawaiian Steel Guitar

7. “If I Had You” Cliff Edwards a/k/a Ukulele Ike from the collection: Broadway’s Gone Hawaii [Undated/He was the voice of Jiminy Cricket in the Walt Disney Film “Pinocchio”]

8. “Blue Hula Stomp Medley” by Bob Brozman with Allan Dodge on Taropatch ukulele from the 1980 recording titled: Blue Hula Stomp

9. “Bye Bye Blues” Ukulele Played By Panama from the 1963 LP: Duke Kahanamoku Presents A Beachboy Party With Waltah Clarke

10. “Hula Blues” by Tau Moe & The Original Hawaiians, Recorded in Copenhagen in 1952, taken from the CD Box Set: Steelin’ It – The Steel Guitar Story

11. “Miserlou” by Bruce Shimabukuro from the CD: Legends of the Ukulele, Vol. 2

12. “Ka Ua Loku” by Eddie Kamae from his legendary LP: Heart of the Ukulele, recorded in Honolulu in 1962

13. “Ipo Lei Momi” by Keali’i Reichel from his Two CD Set: Kamahiwa – Collection One with Jake Shimabukuro on Ukulele

14. “Gigue,” From Johann Sebastian Bach’s Cello Suite No. 1, performed by John King from his CD: Partita No. 3, BWV 1006 for Unaccompanied Ukulele

15. Jimmy Webb’s “Macarthur Park” by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain from their CD: The Secret of Life

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-11-03 15:56 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies