Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Witco questions-Keigs, Bigbro, anyone?

Pages: 1 12 replies

L
laney posted on Mon, May 19, 2003 5:52 PM

The challenge...Here are some Witco (?) piece I need info on.
First are the Hawaiian Islands I talked about after my Birthday in this thread

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2184&forum=5

As you can see there is a lot of detal. These came with hangers on the back to hang seperately but I mounted them on burlap (and plan on adding some modern paint touches to the blue). The blue color is most like the first picture. The canvas wasn't big enough to space them out correctly but a larger on wouldn't fit the area. I am missing the two smaller islands and have e-mailed Keigs about making them for me. I believe these to be Witco pieces (even though Sven dosen't) They remind me of the globe art pieces by Witco.

Next is a set of heads. These have a large hole at the top and hangers on the backs. I just put them on heavy rope and they hang above my fireplace. I got these as part of my first bar set from the same shop the Hawaiian Islands came from later. Were they part of a lamp? Were they meant to be strung?

I know what these are but thought I'd share some pics anyway. Check out the orange wall color. I LOVE it. The firedancer pieces are, and always have been, my favorite. You can't see all the guys on the lamp but there are 5 different dancers. Were there any others or just the lamp and art piece?

If anyone has these items pictured in a catalog, I'd pay for color copies (just for my personal use and documentation) Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Laney

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-05-19 17:53 ]

G
GECKO posted on Mon, May 19, 2003 6:14 PM

nice pieces Laney. can't wait to see'em.

I like da hanging heads. If you ever run into any doubles of da heads, LET ME KNOW! I will barter for pieces. I want the stools! I will trade a large cook islands style Tangaroa.

D

I love the Firedancers. I can see there is writing on the bottom right side of the the picture, is it signed? Are these all of your Witco pieces? Very nice!

K

Laney- great stuff I cant find the islands in the books so I will ask Bill about them when he comes over. Also on the 4 tiki heads there was a long wood and leopard skin spear that the masks hung on. There are a few different styles of dancers that I see but no more in the same colors. I can email you pictures if you want. I have been talking to Bill about making copies of some catalogs for people who are interested. Hopefuly in the future I will keep you posted.

L
laney posted on Mon, May 19, 2003 7:02 PM

Hey, That's good to know. I have 2 of those leopard spears! They came with a leopard shield with a tiki on it. I'll post pics later as I'm off to Sam's for cheap crab legs Monday. Thanks for the info. I'll post more Witco pics later. Keigs, I'd love pics and would be interested in catalog copies. Gecko, I'll be keeping my eye on you at my house :wink: I don't think you could fit a stool under your shirt!

Laney, I like like what youve done to your house. So when is this party happening? And the color orange, It's been catching my eye lately, even whent off the deep end and did an all orange tiki bar? No drugs involved.

M

I have a customer who has the hawaiian islands on their original backing and they have no markings to indicate WITCO. The wood is close, but I'm not so sure.

The four masks are great. Those four masks on the leopard pole are in the entryway to the Hala Kahiki in Chicago.

-martin

L

On 2003-05-20 11:15, thechikitiki wrote:
Laney, I like like what youve done to your house. So when is this party happening? And the color orange, It's been catching my eye lately, even whent off the deep end and did an all orange tiki bar? No drugs involved.

Chiki, I love the orange room. It's pretty bright. My son teased me about leaving the light on (it wasn't) because I'm always busting him for leaving everything on (you really do turn into your parents)The guy at Home Depot accidently mixed a quart instead of a gallon. Another guy (buying tubs of off-white) said "You'll never get rid of that" as he marked it for the "oops" discount paint table. I said "I'll probably need more so I'll take it too!" Then I turned, gave my best stink-eye, and said "What, you don't like this orange?" The guy was speachless.

I'm having a get together after Da Show on June 14, so come on down, bring the wife and some swimsuits. See the thread in events.

S

Here is the spear with the heads as it resides outside the entrance to the Hala Kahiki

K

Laney I asked Bill about the islands he said it was not Witco but was carved by a guy named Bob Cookson who worked for Witco for a while and is a good friend of Bills. Bill said Bob moved to Hawaii and set up a little Witco style shop and sold pieces to tourists in Hawaii and that this was one of those pieces.

L
laney posted on Thu, May 22, 2003 4:14 PM

Keigs, Thanks for the info. I still love my little bastard non-witco art piece just as if it was part of the family. I still want the two little islands made so save any big scraps. I will e-mail you later.
Thanks to everyone for solving my Witco enigmas.

Laney,
Bob @ OA has a few Whitco Catologs laying around. I'm sure he'll run copies for you if you turn on the female charm on a future visit. We looked through all of his cats. and couldn't find Mrs. Boo's Whitco bar so he thinks it was a custom one . I wanted to put it on e-bay as soon as I got it, but Mrs. Boo won a bet with me and it is now on display at the store.

G
GECKO posted on Fri, May 23, 2003 3:34 PM

can't wait to see dat bar at your store Ben. Ok, so if some guy came here to Oahu and started his own thing.....does he still live here? so there's a mask here in town that is witco or this other guys work...hmmmm how did he get cedar on da islands? not a whole lot a'dat wood here.

I'll get a pick of it on Monday and post it. I can't go today becuz it's aloha friday and we get CHOKE traffic on da H1 and pearl city

aloha friday evryone

Pages: 1 12 replies