Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Facebook group

Pages: 1 17 replies

P

I'm not sure if the guy who started this thing is a member yet of Tiki Central, but there's a group on Facebook for tiki mug collectors that I think quite a few (read: all) of us would be interested in.

It's run by a Navy guy so he's not been online lately to get the group as big as it should be in the tiki community. So, why don't we do the guy a favor and help him out? I know most people nowadays are on Facebook, so if you are, swing by here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiki-Mug-Collectors/126655444033756

And join. Post your pictures and give that Navy guy an awesome page for us Facebookers to connect.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2010-12-12 19:46 ]

I appreciate the notion of supporting a Tiki fan who is serving this country -while we go to parties. However, it seems to me that Tiki Central has been pretty anemic lately in terms of new content, and posts in general. This maybe partly because these days, folks have more important things to worry about, which is absolutely valid. I believe though that it is also because of the fragmentation effect that Facebook is having on groups like Tiki Central: On Facebook we can much more specifically choose our circle of friends, and we are more the creators of our environment. We do not have to contend with people who do not agree with us, and can express our individual selves more specifically. But since many of us spend too much time on the computer already, Facebook time gets deducted from other internet groups. These groups splinter into many mini communities, making larger sites less and less frequented, while people retreat into their own private Idaho. So I believe that for whatever valiant reason, solicitation of participation on other sites should be kept to a minimum.

I am not saying do not write this guy, I am just providing food for thought.

P

I thought about that, but I also felt that the "true believers" and tiki fans wouldn't deprive one resource for another. Just as people post pictures of their mugs here, they also catalog them on Ooga-Mooga. They post reviews and pictures of bars and restaurants here as well as Critiki. There are tiki bloggers who are also members here. Yet, Tiki Central remains, well, central to all things tiki through it all.

I do agree with what you said, but I thought it might be nice to spread his little group out and even use the opportunity to bring another into the TC flock.

That said, if it's better to or agreed upon, if there's a way to delete this thread we can. I just don't know how to do it.

No no no, as I said, this guy deserves support, and I think this thread is a good opportunity for folks to reflect on the current state of things in internet communications.

what is Facebook?

Jeff(btd)

Sven, it is funny what you said about fragmentation of the internet with facebook, Tim Berners Lee who kindly gave the internet free to everybody agrees with you and said in a recent interview that sites like facebook (and Itunes)could spell the end of the internet as it was intended, ie a place where information can be shared by everyone with no walls or barriers. Sites like FB and Itunes shut off information and wall it in.
Anyway I,m not that techy and maybe haven't explained it that well so back to Tiki Mugs.

TK

On 2010-11-23 22:54, bigtikidude wrote:
what is Facebook?

Jeff(btd)

yep yep yep.

On 2010-11-23 20:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
I appreciate the notion of supporting a Tiki fan who is serving this country -while we go to parties. However, it seems to me that Tiki Central has been pretty anemic lately in terms of new content, and posts in general. This maybe partly because these days, folks have more important things to worry about, which is absolutely valid. I believe though that it is also because of the fragmentation effect that Facebook is having on groups like Tiki Central: On Facebook we can much more specifically choose our circle of friends, and we are more the creators of our environment. We do not have to contend with people who do not agree with us, and can express our individual selves more specifically. But since many of us spend too much time on the computer already, Facebook time gets deducted from other internet groups. These groups splinter into many mini communities, making larger sites less and less frequented, while people retreat into their own private Idaho. So I believe that for whatever valiant reason, solicitation of participation on other sites should be kept to a minimum.

I am not saying do not write this guy, I am just providing food for thought.

I understand what you are saying, and why you are saying this. But at the same time, Facebook may cause splintering and isolation, but it also contributes to reunion and the introduction of new people into one's sphere of influence.

I have been very active on TC (less active as of late due to a job change) and very much enjoy this forum and this community. I have participated in mug and music swaps, PM'd members and built relationships. But, Facebook has been a very effective tool for me to put a personality to a name, know more about a person beyond our shared love of tiki and maintain an active network of communications.

You folks who are immersed in the west and east coast tiki scenes have communities built up around you. Actually, you really don't need Facebook to stay networked with other members of the tiki community, they are all around you. The events are in your backyards. For those of us living in the miasmatic jungles of Arkansas, it is a much different reality.

Tiki Central has been a fantastic resource for me to connect with the tiki community and its happenings. Facebook has been a fantastic resource to allow me to connect with the folks who comprise the tiki community. Through Facebook I have built friendships from what were acquaintances only months prior.

I think the two naturally enhance one another, not mutually exclude and work against one another. I believe your point is actually a commentary about the complacency of internet users, not the sites they use. Think about it, I just logged on to Facebook and Tiki Central at the same time. Several other 'active' users will do the same thing many times throughout the day.

MR

I agree with Vince. There are times that I feel like tikicentral is getting over saturated with nonsense and I can escape to facebook to avoid the times I'm irritated. Don't get me wrong... I dig TC and will always be supportive. The thing is, I can BS with the same people on FB and not be guilty of adding irrelevant content here. The 2 go hand in hand for me. There are uses for both. I understand Sven's point and it is an interesting thing to think about. Here's a good example for me- Let's say I'm having a poker tournament for charity at The Lava-Flow-Inn... It's not really a "Tiki" event per say, although in a Tiki location. I can easily invite people on FB and be a little more selective. TC has a massive community. No offense, but I'm not sure that I want an invite to go out to everyone here. I can pm the people here that aren't on my facebook. It's a handy place that I feel can work hand in hand with TC most of the time.

Thank you for posting your thoughts on this, gentlemen. As the internet is rapidly changing our lives and environment, it is interesting to observe how it changes these things thru changes within itself.

On 2010-12-03 12:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank you for posting your thoughts on this, gentlemen. As the internet is rapidly changing our lives and environment, it is interesting to observe how it changes these things thru changes within itself.

Sven -

The one thing I glean and truly appreciate from the tone of your post is that your love and desire to cultivate tiki ohana and inclusiveness is never ending. You want Tiki Central to continue to thrive because it is the universal marketplace for all things tiki. I totally dig that passion! Since placing my response on this thread, I have been extremely conscious of logging on to Tiki Central and staying connected. Your persuasions are never ending, BigBro!

i have to admit, one thing that kind of tickles me is how info on the mainlander that i posted years ago on TC ends up on many of the ebay listings for the mugs. regardless of signal to noise ratio, in general the info on TC (perhaps less some photos from the shutterfly days) will hopefully be on the internet as long as there is an internet.

there is no other place like TC.

For me, the situation's the other way round from what Sven describes. I don't want to obsess over tiki stuff on Facebook, because I think many of my friends there would be baffled by it. So I come here. You guys understand. :)

I actually find Facebook makes me more connected to this site. We've friended tons of people because of our tiki biz, find out we know of them on here, and now instead of being just names on the page they follow us, I see peeks into their real life...well it makes it a more tangible friendship even if its still mostly one cultivated on a computer.
I do see how most of the conversations can end up being fragmented all over, but don't think that outweighs the benefits of social networking.

On 2010-12-03 12:57, bigbrotiki wrote:

He called us gentlemen (snicker).

As a whole Facebook has some good points and some bad points. I think it's great that it could be used to promote tiki culture. I'm not into it or on it myself.

In my opinion, Tiki Central is the undisputed Center of the Tiki Universe bar none. It is the National Archives of America's Polynesian Popular culture. It is the On-Line Smithsonian of Tiki.

In regards to threads with more historical content like "Locating Tiki"; When I'm posting I feel like i am not just chatting with a friend about a common interest I am contributing to and helping write the Encyclopedia Britannica of Tiki. For some reason I like this aspect of TC and have not found that in any other.

On 2010-12-12 11:01, abstractiki wrote:
.In my opinion, Tiki Central is the undisputed Center of the Tiki Universe bar none. It is the National Archives of America's Polynesian Popular culture. It is the On-Line Smithsonian of Tiki.

I agree with the second part of that statement. The first part of that statement I used to think as well, until I got out to events like Tiki Oasis and others, and found out how many people DIDN'T HAVE a Tiki Central name. You'd be surprised. There are alot more people into Tiki than just the ones on TC.
Alot of Lurkers, and alot of people who just like Tiki, but only use TC occasionally as a place for info and references.

I DO agree that it IS the On-Line Smithsonian of Polynesian Pop, which is why I get annoyed when stupid crap happens like last month, when Hanford had to shut down the whole site and tell everyone to "cut the crap."

So, I wish more people had your attitude towards TC in that respect.

But hey, What's this Facebook you speak of ? :wink:

Pages: 1 17 replies