Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Paul Marshall doppelganger

Pages: 1 13 replies

S

Can anyone clear this up for me? I've got a few of the "real PMP Monkey mugs. I also have a few of the ones that look VERY similar, but with different hand placement, etc. Are they PMP or an amazing simulation?

Thanks

A

Got pictures that show the difference?

Here are two different Paul Marshal Mugs.

Knees and Elbows

Hands on Belly

Them's the ones.

Thanks!

Saw this recently close on Ebay. Did anyone else know this scorpion bowl existed? Is it really Paul Marshall?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2636858724&category=86

Sabu

Wow! Like I've said before, everytime you think you've seen everything that's out there, something comes up that reminds you there's a lot more out there than you thought!

That said, I'm not surprised this bowl sold for $300.00. I'm also not surprised that a deep pocket bidder won it! Just wish it was me instead.

Speaking of rare bowls, there was a pic of a Luau 400 Scorpion bowl in one of their old menus. Rumored to have never been actually made (just illustrated for the menu), I now wonder if there's one floating around out there somewhere...

L
laney posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2003 2:23 AM

I was watching that bowl too. I'm not a big mug collector but I loved this. I especially like how they are sticking their tongues out!

Sabu, I'm no expert by any stretch, but I think it really is PMP. I've seen Paul Marshall S&P shakers and a serving tray in this style, so I guess it doesn't surprise me that there might be a bowl as well. I saw this early when it first listed but decided to just watch it because of the broken hand. WOW----$305.00!!! I had no idea it would go so high!

Yowza...I'll take two, Sabu. It does look like the right rim...I have a set of four of the second style that Alnshely pictured. I'd love to have a single of the first, if anyone has an extra for sale or trade.

S

These seem to be on ebay every week in sets or singles. 8 - 12 dollars is about the range and they're often sold in sets. I use them for my guests that I trust not to drop them. The others get a cheap plastic Moai!

T

Yep, that bowl is PMP- I bid $300 on it but Dan's got a lot more money than I do- so that's as high as I could go....I tried... :(

I'm gonna put a pic of it in the gallery though...

M

I always assumed that the "knees and elbows" version was just a PMP ripoff (or PMP inspired). I've seen countless auctions for this mug but have never seen any markings indicating that it is Paul Marshall. Even though many of those auction descriptions say that it is PMP, I still haven't seen visual proof.

That PMP bowl is awesome! It must be one of the rarest vessels out there. Good score Dan! Oh, and Dan, if ya ever decide to liquidate your collection...I'm here for you.

ModMana :drink:

T

Don't bet on it....this is a guy who's collecting at least TWO of everything out there so that he can display the front and back of each mug, side by side!! This guy is hard core!

On 2003-06-10 01:12, ModMana wrote:
Oh, and Dan, if ya ever decide to liquidate your collection...I'm here for you.

TikiHula wrote:
this is a guy who's collecting at least TWO of everything out there so that he can display the front and back of each mug, side by side!! This guy is hard core!

I'd be amazed if he finds a second one. It's not impossible, but if this is his first of these bowls, he may be even more determined to pay more for the second, better grade, bowl. I wonder what ever happened to all the other bowls like this?

Pages: 1 13 replies