Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kelbo's Coco Bowl video 1990

Pages: 1 2 replies

C

Not sure if this was ever posted, but here's a You Tube clip of a show by Monte Vista and Lovingkindness (who started in 1985 and predated the whole "lounge" scene), playing in Kelbo's Coco Bowl in 1990:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2_3hFw1nbQ

My brother's playing keyboards (I subbed on guitar on about 3-4 LK shows over the years). I was at this show, and came back in December 1991 for Lovingkindness' second Kelbo's show, which wasn't in the Coco Bowl but was instead in the front bar area (I think this was a wedding reception). That second show had special significance for me because I ended up riding up from Long Beach with a friend of a friend who I kind of knew but not real well, named Christine. She gave me her phone number at the end of the night, we started dating, got married in 1993 and just celebrated 17 years! So Kelbo's on Pico (and Lovingkindness) always have a special place in my heart.

Anyway, in the video you can see some of the Kelbo's signage, if not much of the architecture. And read the You Tube note...it's all true!

Caltiki Brent

The description is classic! Thanks for sharing that! My friend drug me to see this band at Kelbos once, I had completely forgot about it until just now...

Brent,
Your brother is playing great piano, but that singer sucks.

Pages: 1 2 replies