Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Violence on Rapa Nui

Pages: 1 7 replies

A

I'm saddened by the latest developments on Rapa Nui (Easter Island), but I'm also alarmed in that I'm supposed to arrive there for the first time in a little over a month.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/calls-calm-in-violence-hit-easter-island-3955127

On 2010-12-10 10:27, arriano wrote:
I'm supposed to arrive there for the first time in a little over a month.

I suggest you seek out "Pantu" who has a bed and breakfast there. It is on the outskirts of Hangaroa (near the museum) and his horseback tour is awesome. He owns the candy store there...

Birdman Gate -Rapa Nui - Easter Island - Hangaroa - Chile - metal

It is indeed a sad, unsustainable situation there. I went to the "Save Rapa Nui" event in LA and am deeply moved by their struggle:
http://saverapanui.org/ and am planning to get active in their support.

As a soon to be visitor, keep in mind that the native activists are NOT against "Westerners" in general, they welcome tourism, and are aware that it is the main economic part of their infrastructure. They are solely against the Chilean government doling out their land to non Rapa Nui Chileans, without them be asked or benefiting from it. This has been going on for too long, and they are fed up with it.

And I am sure that the majority of locals would like to just go on with their daily life undisturbed by "troublemakers", but sometimes there has to be trouble for there to be a life.

Yet another case of the natives being removed by an off-site, non-native government, like the American Indians, original Hawaiians, original Rapa Nui, and now, this:

"The Chilean government continues to claim that they are enforcing the laws of the land, however, they themselves continue to violate the Chilean Constitution, Chilean local law, and international Law to which they are signatory, the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous People.

The Chilean judge on the island, Judge Bernardo Torro, has a personal vendetta against the Rapanui and improperly signs arrest warrants against the Rapanui for trespassing on their own lands, without due process. Using state military forces to arrest individuals, they are also evicting entire families.

This obliterates the promises made by the Chilean government to hold meaningful discussion as to land title. Title has been and continues to be the underlying issue that must be resolved."

I am glad someone brought this subject up. I support the natives of Rapa Nui in spirit but I don't know what else I can do. This is indeed a sad situation for these native islanders. I hope more people on Tiki Central become aware of this violation of human rights in the land of the Moai. At least we can spread the word that there is injustice going on in our backyard.

"First they came for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me and by that time there was no one left to speak up."

-Martin Niemoller (Dachau Survivor)

[ Edited by: Trailerpark Tiki 2010-12-17 13:16 ]

T

BREAKING NEWS - PRESS RELEASE FROM RAPA NUI
December 29, 2010

Today, December 29th just before 7 PM, a contingency of 200 armed police began violently dislodging the Rapanui Parliament from their headquarters in the center of the town of Hanga Roa, Rapa Nui.
The police have beaten dozens of Rapa Nui with clubs, including children and women.  They have arrested at least two dozen people.
This action was a unilateral decision made by the Regional Indendent, Raul Celis.  The operation was directed by the Police Commander,
Oscar Salazar who confirmed, "Celis gave the order."

Lola Tuki, who was there said that it was "unbelievable to see the degree of violence and inhuman treatment and prejudice.  The police were cursing at the women calling them, "Goddamn indian bitches", and grabbing them violently.

Many of the people taken from the Tuki and Hito clan were defending the President of the Rapa Nui Parliament, Leviante Araki.

This is a developing story.

A

I just got back from a month-long vacation that included several days in Rapa Nui. First, let me say that it really is a great place. Very relaxed and without the overdevelopment you find on so many popular South Pacific islands. The people were warm and friendly and we really had a terrific time.

Regarding the ongoing problems, I discovered that it's a lot more complicated than I orginally thought. As told to me by a couple of residents, many years ago (before the current law that only Rapa Nui people could own land on the island) a Rapa Nui man sold a large piece of land in order to pay to build a home for his family. The new owner later sold this land to a developer. The developer began building several one-story buildings as part of a hotel development. Before it was completed, Rapa Nui people protested the developer's rights to land and are currently camped out in the unfinished hotel and refusing to move. There are a number of Chilean police (but I don't think more than a couple dozen at most) on the island guarding the area and keeping the peace. I'm no expert in practicing law in the U.S. much less Rapa Nui, but from the people I talked to there is a big disagreement (even among the islanders) regarding who is right and wrong on the issue. Now it's proceeding through the courts but who knows how long that will take. I only saw one protest march while I was there (last Saturday afternoon) and about 15 Rapa Nui were parading through the streets with banners and flags.

X
xtine posted on Sun, Jan 30, 2011 6:33 AM

Thank you for the update! Oh, and post pictures from your trip :wink:

Pages: 1 7 replies