Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cream of Coconut?

Pages: 1 21 replies

So, whenever I open up a can of Cream of Coconut to make a Blue Hawaiian I always run in to the same problem; inconsistency. At the top of the can, there's about 1 & 1/2" of a white waxy substance, and the remainder of the can is filled with a clear oily liquid. Are you supposed to stir the contents until they reach a uniform texture and color, just use the oil, just use the wax, or equal parts of each? There are no instructions on the can, and Beachbum Berry didn't discuss this phenomenon in the Grog Log. Any takers?

Thanks,

Cowtown Kahuna

R
Rain posted on Tue, May 20, 2003 11:10 AM

stir that s-t up!

K
Klas posted on Tue, May 20, 2003 11:49 AM

I'm using a brand called Opies for my Kallaloos and Coconauts. It comes in a jar with lid and have the same consistency from top to bottom and can be refrigerated after opened. Don't know how it compares to the Lopez brand recommended by Berry though.

T

I throw it in the blender for a bit and then srape it into some tupperware and pop it in the freezer so I can scoop it out when needed.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

On a related note, how long should Coco Lopez in a can last, unopened?

T

On 2003-05-21 16:12, Biotron2000 wrote:
On a related note, how long should Coco Lopez in a can last, unopened?

Indefinately

HEAT IT UP!!! Jeeper Creepers, People... It say's right on the side of the Can of Coco Lopez "Natural Coconut May Congeal When Cold. To Reliquify Immerse Can In Warm Water."
Am I sharin' freakin' Bartending Questions and Answers in a Chat Forum full of people who wouldn't know a can of Cream of Coconut if it bit their freakin' Tiki in half?
Hmmmmmmmmmmm... Perhaps, it seems. Hope I've been of some service.

Hey, now. Cut me some slack Traitor Vic. I live in Ohio, so my knowledge of coconuts is limited to what I've seen on "Gilligan's Island" reruns. :wink: I don't know much about cream of coconut, but I'd be more than happy to field your questions about creamed corn.

Submerge in hot water. Got it. Thanks.

I scrape the contents into a Pyrex measuring glass and nuke it for about 30-45 sec. Any hunks left in it will dissolve within a minute or so. It's also way easier to deal with the goopy stuff from a measuring glass. I found submerging in hot water to be messy and take too long.

M

On 2003-05-23 12:13, Humuhumu wrote:
I scrape the contents into a Pyrex measuring glass and nuke it for about 30-45 sec. Any hunks left in it will dissolve within a minute or so. It's also way easier to deal with the goopy stuff from a measuring glass. I found submerging in hot water to be messy and take too long.

This works sooo well. Humuhumu visted us a few weeks ago on the way to Tiki Oasis and gave us this tip when she made Coladas. The balance (after I used some) was put into tupperware and placed in the fridge. Interestingly enough, it did not separate again (perhaps it takes a while for the de-emulsification). I just pop the tupperware back in the microwave for about 15-20 secs, stir, and it's ready for the next delicous application.

Okay... Okay... I know Coconuts don't grow in Ohio, but they don't in SC either. And at least Ohio is Round on the Ends and Hi in the Middle! Wheeeeeee!!! Thought of something else that might come in handy... I've found that you don't have to completely liquify the stuff. Most chunks will dissolve when introduced to a swiftly moving spoon or a suitable amount of rum. Any drink that is going to be blended, too, should not give a problem from the Chunkiness Perspective.

T

*On 2003-05-24 03:21, Traitor Vic wrote:*Most chunks will dissolve when introduced to a swiftly moving spoon or a suitable amount of rum.

That works well if you stir the cream into the lukewarm rum before you add ice. Once ice is added it's hard to get it to dissolve. The same goes for the honey/butter mixture in the Don the Beachcomber recipes.

smooth and consistent: Trader Vic's KO-KO Kreme Syrup

& it smells like suntan oil!

M

And it tastes like my pants. I used to buy Vic's all the time, but after I found Coco Lopez, there's no turning back. Who cares if it has a weird consistency- It tastes a lot better!

-martin

A

Mele-Koi Coconut Snow

heat be damned!, just blend till frothy and put it in a magarine container an then in the fridge.with heat you lose moisture and taste.

W

That microwave tricks sounds good, I'll try it with my next batch of Coconauts.

My coconut experimentations were recorded here:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=400&forum=1

as much as i love coco lopez, my fave bar (tiki-ti) only uses coconut snow, and there drinks are the best.

Alnshely,

How much is a can of that coconut snow? I've been looking all over Orlando for that stuff with no luck. Haven't found anyplace to buy it online, either.

Re: Coco Lopez -- it makes the best coconauts. No need to heat it or put it in the blender -- just pour it in a plastic container and stir it up -- the chunks dissolve quickly!

Of all the drinks in the Grog Log and Intoxica that I have made for friends, the Coconaut seems to be the most popular.

-Mug

i can't believe you are not finding this stuff at the local supermarket!. it is right next to the grenadine and all that stuff. it's maybe 3-4 dollars.we have the stuff in ralphs and all the big chains.

Of all the drinks in the Grog Log and Intoxica that I have made for friends, the Coconaut seems to be the most popular.

Agreed. So many good drinks, but for introducing people to tropical drinks, that seems to work well. Slushy and sweet and GOOOD. I mixed up a few pitchers full at Melintur and Tikimama's shindig this memorial day... they were very popular. I can't wait to try a flaming re-entry!

Pages: 1 21 replies