Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

carving tikis into live palm trees???

Pages: 1 12 replies

P

can this be done without killing the tree?

if so, how deep could one go?

considering the damage I've seen done to trees by cars, lightning, etc. without actually killing the tree, I would think it was do-able.

has anyone done it???

Just don't do it on city property:

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/oceanside/article_32b78780-b5db-5516-bd65-0d8f5a416dba.html

this is what an arborist told me about doing it:

It might not kill the tree, but it certainly isn't good for it. It's kind of like taking a hunk of your flesh of and walking around with an open wound. The wound might not kill you, but the infection, gangrene, and other diseases you would subject yourself as a result to would not be good. The tree might only live 10-15 more years, instead of the 50 more if left uncarved.
Then again, he also said that it might not do a thing to the tree. the only sure thing is that you greatly increase the chances of it becoming infected or weakened.

Buzzy Out!

I've seen it done on palms around here, and the fronds that grow after carving are smaller and shorter.
I get asked occasionally to do it, but I just would rather not.

P

Thanks guys!

When I first set out to be a guy who makes tikis, I decided in the beginning that I didn't want to will trees, so I guess the live tree tiki is OUT!

Thanks again. I don't want to do any harm.

Live trees are the way to go Mexican fan palms very hardy been carving them for a long time live without issues

You boys leave those trees alone!

P

so, you carve fan palms LIVE and it doesn't hurt them?

really?

You can carve into your own leg without killing yourself - I'm sure you can do it to trees as well. However just like your led, it probably isn't very good for the tree!

P

Well Tom, I decided to test that theory and you're right...

I survived but it kinda sucked...

I'm not adovcated carving a live palm but palm anatomy is very different than most trees (as the carvers can attest) Most trees are dicots, the xylem and phloem (circulation system) is only in the outer layer. You can easily kill a dicot by removing a ring of the outer layer all the way around the tree. Palms are monocots, the xylem and phloem are distributed throughout the trunk of the tree and they can take more abuse.

That is a factual & scientific statement from MDM
so in your face Tree murderers!

WC

MDM,
You figure PJCs leg is dicot or monocot?

Actually, that would probably be a monocot too :lol:

Pages: 1 12 replies