Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

What Tape Is The Most Tiki?

Pages: 1 17 replies

I was just about to wrap up some Tiki themed holiday gifts in special Tiki wrapping paper I made with butcher paper and a Tiki design potato stamp dipped in boar's blood and as I was reaching for the Scotch® Magic™ Tape it occurred to me "Is this the most Tiki tape I can use?"

Scotch® Magic™ Tape didn't exist prior to 1961 so if I want a particular classic Tiki era aspect to my gift presentation I should use a different tape. On the other hand Scotch® Magic™ Tape has a matte finish so it will more or less disappear on the package which would actually make what tape I use not a Tiki issue.

But if we didn't make things like tape a Tiki issue then probably half the posts on Tiki Central would never have been made!

The simplest solution would be to go with a cellophane tape which has a shiny finish. Such tape was widely in use throughout the Golden Era of Tiki.

Masking tape has a nice thatch color to it, plus it could give a primitive spin to the gift wrapping. (Though I think it might be right on the line between primitive and crude and as such could be misinterpreted. A person might see the Tiki gift wrap with the masking tape and just think "This guy didn't have any clear tape.")

I could also use a double backed tape. Used correctly it wouldn't be part of the package presentation at all. (Used incorrectly it could be hilarious, handing someone a nicely wrapped gift that sticks to their hands!)

But I'm kind of shooting for a "Tiki Christmas 1958" vibe to the package so I need the most Tiki tape for that. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated and largely ignored. Thanks!

L

Just what we need...

another "What_____ is the most tiki" thread

(insert eye roll here)

I think Scotch tape is really the most TIKI !!! But some of the carvers might say that tree sap and paper would make the most Tiki tape. I really wish there was a list which would tell us what kind of home products and appliances are the most Tiki. I really want people to know just how hard core "Tiki" I am.

Thanks for the tape suggestion, Boris.

Speaking of bad and obvious responses, for the purpose of this thread this sort of tape would not count as "Tiki tape."

Or reel to reel or cassette.

"I really wish there was a list which would tell us what kind of home products and appliances are the most Tiki." The Sperm Whale

That would be useful. I suggest that if someone wants to know what is the MOST Tiki version of an an item/situation/sensation they use or find themselves in or experience they should start a new thread for it and we can all sort it out!

On 2010-12-18 11:29, woofmutt wrote:
Thanks for the tape suggestion, Boris.

Speaking of bad and obvious responses,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but, what tiki is the most tiki?

I think the old "lick it & stick it" paper package tape is most tiki; it's brown, like a tiki. It's made from wood, like a tiki. It kinda faded from existence in the late 70s like tiki. And you can lick it, like a tiki!

Well hell, I think MDM nailed it on the head of the rum keg. The most Tiki tape has to be the brown paper lick and stick tape.

This thread is now officially dead.

Next thread topic: What Is The Most Tiki Piece Of Tupperware®?

(My favorite piece of Tupperware® is the little container meant for a single piece of pie. But as awesome as that container is I really don't think it's very Tiki.)

HJ

'Thinking y' gotta tie it up with sisal, hemp or coconut fiber twine.

Tape just ain't Tiki.

no woofmutt posts since 2011-06-03... this thread might help bridge the gap...

On 2010-12-18 23:09, woofmutt wrote:
Next thread topic: What Is The Most Tiki Piece Of Tupperware®?

(My favorite piece of Tupperware® is the little container meant for a single piece of pie. But as awesome as that container is I really don't think it's very Tiki.)

Although the Tupperware Slice of Pie is connected to the Bumatay Slice of Pie

Woofmuff has popped up in SHOUT! once in a while but we miss him :(

Woof once told me this was his favorite tapa.

W

Yuh misheard me/didn't have yer friggin hearin aide turned up. What I said was "Blue Tapas Blues is my favorite tapas bar."

It really is, too. Why?

1. The tapas ain't at all Spanish so it ain't weird eatin there.
  2. Pert near every tapas is deep fried somethin-or-other.
  3. They only play you-know-whose music on the sound system and that always makes fer a dang good time where ever you are.
HJ

Be liking the tie up with sisal and hemp twine thing. Tres beaucoup Tiki.

are sheep tiki?

UB

On 2012-02-09 11:14, Johnny Dollar wrote:
are sheep tiki?

BAR CRAWL!!

Pages: 1 17 replies